3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

2017 St. Jude Auction

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION LISTING FORUM

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » FOC % question (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FOC % question
NE Texas Bowhunter
Member # 45740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NE Texas Bowhunter   Email NE Texas Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry Green, I am the Poster of thread and I never said anything to that effect. I have great understanding of arrows, their weights and spines, especially carbon. I'm not new to archery, just new to traditional equipment and the phenomenon known as Archers Paradox. I appreciate everyone's input, and will heed the advice and go with the .500 to start with. I do realize I will have to relearn form to adjust to traditional equipment, that's why I went with a lighter poundage bow. Also, unlike most compound shooters, I use a back tension release, and hope it helps a tad with the transition. Thanks everyone for the input, it would be tough figuring all of this out without yall.

--------------------
XXX====Genesis 21:20====>

Posts: 12 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
Contributor 2017
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NE Texas:
I would suggest that you start with a moderate FOC for your first set of trad arrows. Something around 12% to 15% FOC would give you a very good arrow. You might also shoot for around 10 to 12 grains per pound of draw weight. Those characteristics would give you an arrow that you can hunt with, and that you can rely on for a very long time.

Later, after you are used to trad equipment, getting out of the moderate range will be easier. Then you can experiment with light arrows in the 8 GPP range, or try to get up over 20% FOC.

You are wise to go down to a more moderate draw weight in changing to a trad bow. Starting with a moderate arrow has advantages too.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2120 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John...my comments were not nor never directed at you.

My comments were to the fallacy of continual mythical statements about carbon arrows being light...notice the posters all said all carbons are light. FALSE.

Now someone wants to push the narrative that carbon fibers are lighter than aluminum.... what does that have to do with the weight of arrows? Has nothing to do with carbon arrows. Again, my aluminum arrows are lighter than my carbons....AND, my 55-60 cedars are as well. Find out for yourself about carbon arrows and stop parroting what you've heard by someone else.

Again, my 29 inch BOP arrows with a Zwickey Delta weight 585 grains....that proves you are wrong about light or super light.

Stating all carbons are 'so light' is Fake News and the perpetuation of such has to stop. Its a disservice to the sport and to fellow bowhunters.

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30003 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NE Texas Bowhunter
Member # 45740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NE Texas Bowhunter   Email NE Texas Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. The way I see it is, a 10 gpi carbon weighs the same as a 10 gpi aluminum. Carbons are what I am used to and plan to shoot. Thanks everyone for the valuable information on FOC and dynamic spine. Yall rock!

--------------------
XXX====Genesis 21:20====>

Posts: 12 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With 400 gns up front, my total shaft weight was 611 gns.

Readily observed appreaciable penetration gains when reaching 25% EFOC.

Enjoy shooting 30% plus Ultra EFOC, however the game I typically pursue don't reqiure hi FOC and the overly excessive target wear is not personally warranted. ex...shot an 18 in 1 Rhinehart, guarenteed for a year to remnants in less than 6 weeks...shot out a Morrell Outdoor Range with field points in 3 months....shot thru an expensive Eagle layered target with field tips in three days and compeletely thru a Mckensie BH target in 2 days.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6361 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©