3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

2017 St. Jude Auction

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION LISTING FORUM

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » One nock or two? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: One nock or two?
Bladepeek
Contributor 2017
Member # 24206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bladepeek   Email Bladepeek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received a new bow and couldn't wait to shoot it. I shoot 3-under. I tied one nock (the upper) in my usual place and was consistently getting nock low. Came back in to the basement and tied on the second nock point and Presto! No more nock low. I think the arrow was slipping down the string at the release.

--------------------
62" Blacktail Snakebit LH 38@28
60" Bear Super K 40#@28
66" Sparrow hawk LH 42@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62" Lost Creek Judge RH 44@28
52" Bear KMag LH 45@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 46/43@28

Posts: 4049 | From: Greenville, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
30coupe
Contributor 2017
Member # 9663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30coupe   Email 30coupe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't seem to decide whether one is better than another. Most of the time, once I decide for certain where I want the one above the nock, I will tie on one below it. I just don't like messing with moving two nock points. I shoot split, so the second one probably isn't all that necessary.

When I shot three under, I had the same issue Bladepeek just mentioned, so I figure it can't hurt to have two shooting split either.

Also, I usually hunt from a blind or a stand, so I have an arrow nocked already. So far, I haven't needed a quick follow-up shot...or rather had the opportunity for one, lol!

--------------------
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Bamabows Expedition Hunter III 60" 48# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3222 | From: Manly and Bellevue, IA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highlow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for highlow   Email highlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot a fixed crawl and use 2. There is a video out there in super slo-mo that shows how the arrow nock moves down the string upon release when using only one. Enlightening.
Also, I second using Ryan's nock tying. Extremely effective and neat. I do have to resort to re-viewing his video every once and a while though as my memory fails me more than I would like. I also failed "knots" in Boy Scouts.

--------------------
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Posts: 907 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen that video also but I can't find it anywhere.
Posts: 10929 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
SPONSOR
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan K Sanpei:
I prefer two and shoot three under. I have a 1/16" gap between the bottom of the arrow nock and bottom string nock. At full draw, my top string nock and bottom string nock just come in contact with my arrow nock.

-

Here's a video on how I prefer to tie those adjustable string nocks.

https://youtu.be/jgk0y4WFRK0

Thank you Ryan. This is very helpful! Sure would like a video looking over your shoulder instead of facing you. Have to think backwards...some days it is hard thinking front wards! Haha

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
Wilderness Custom Arrows

Posts: 7560 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverrat 2
2017 Contributor
Member # 25061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverrat 2   Author's Homepage   Email riverrat 2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot 3-under with 1 tied on string nock set. Never had any issues with using only 1 above the arrow nocking point. My string hand index finger serves as the #2 nocking point. rat'

--------------------
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Posts: 1504 | From: Grand Haven,Michigan | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,
I think this older video is over the shoulder.

https://youtu.be/j8EghWvyUcA

Posts: 3022 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fishone
Contributor 2017
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fishone   Email fishone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two if you shoot 3 under. If your arrow nock is not tight on the string and you shoot 3 under, the arrow nock can/will move downward when the arrow is released. I use to have tuning problems sometimes. The 2nd string nock under eliminated that problem.
Posts: 2161 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIBIGHNTR
Contributor 2017
Member # 36993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIBIGHNTR   Email MIBIGHNTR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS so much!!

--------------------
A&H ACS 66" 45@30"

Posts: 225 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shot one until I went to three under. Had issues until I put a second one on, and haven't gone back. No issues nocking without looking, I just make one larger than the other so I can feel a difference.
Posts: 198 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11529 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Learner
Contributor 2017
Member # 45308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Learner   Email Learner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the reason why, when I started shooting six months ago, I decided that I would shoot split finger. No problem with a single nock. I can have the arrow nock very loose, and still shoot without discernible issue.

However, this brings up another interesting point: why do most people nock under, anyway? Why not rather nock over?

Stated another way, why does nock under appear to be the accepted format when only using a single nocking point?

I'm curious.....

--------------------
Hill Big 5 66" ASL, takedown grip, caramelized bamboo lams, 45# @ 27"

Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
40# @ 28"
50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Posts: 217 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2.why do people think that shooting split will keep the arrow from sliding down the string on release? There is NO downside to using two nocking points. its cheap insurance and eliminates one variable when tuning.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1091 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mahantango:
2.why do people think that shooting split will keep the arrow from sliding down the string on release? There is NO downside to using two nocking points. its cheap insurance and eliminates one variable when tuning.

Totally agree with this thinking^^^^^^^!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11529 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
Contributor 2017
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two.

And one of these days I will get around to posting a thread on how I do my nocking points. They are easy and unique.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2120 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©