3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 3 piece longbow, small riser, reasonable price. Let's see some pictures. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 3 piece longbow, small riser, reasonable price. Let's see some pictures.
tomsm44
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomsm44   Email tomsm44   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing on my bow bucket list is a 3 piece longbow. I like the ones with the short, slim, relatively simple risers. Seems that they would give the benefit of being compact for travel while keeping a feel more similar to a one piece longbow rather than the normally chunky heavy feel of a 3 piece recurve.

I'm not really in the market right now, but a recent post got me thinking about it. It's the one about the Kota Killum. I'd never heard of Kota bows, so I checked out their website, and their Prairie Nomad is just about exactly what I'm talking about, plus their price seems pretty reasonable.

I prefer fairly plain, but still nice looking bows. A nice looking riser wood like cocobolo or zebrawood, and clear glass over whatever the limb lam wood is. (Red elm, walnut, bamboo, etc) No fancy trim work needed. So my question is this. What other brands and models have a similar design to the Kota Prairie Nomad and is a reasonable price? Pictures would be awesome.

--------------------
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D: 64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter: 58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter: 58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter: 58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve: 56", 42@28

Posts: 1331 | From: Ackerly, Texas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Wiltshire
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Wiltshire   Email Rick Wiltshire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pronghorn for sure.
Posts: 1702 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katman   Email katman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Wiltshire:
Pronghorn for sure.

x2, Herb makes a wonderful bow.

--------------------
shoot straight shoot often

Posts: 3639 | From: south carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MnFn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MnFn   Email MnFn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this one is still for sale (not mine) here in the classifieds.

54# Rampart. Very reasonably priced, I might add. I have one just like it that isn't going anywhere.

-

--------------------
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella" Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Posts: 2035 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archie
Contributor 2017
Member # 13795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie   Email Archie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toelke for sure...

--------------------
"The problem with quotes and other information obtained on the internet is that it is difficult to determine whether that information is genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

66" Black Widow PLX 48# @ 31"
64" Black Widow PMA3 49#, 56#, & 68# @ 31"

Posts: 1883 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Jr
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Jr   Email Steve Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X3 for the Pronghorns

--------------------
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 2146 | From: Griffith, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt steed
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matt steed   Email matt steed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pronghorn 3pc longbow. Do a search on Pronghorn longbows. Some really cool pictures. The Pronghorn is very slim and narrow. Mr. Herb Meland is a pleasure to work with.
Posts: 228 | From: mississippi | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomsm44
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomsm44   Email tomsm44   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input guys. The pronghorns are another brand I've seen that looks good. Haven't ever looked at what they cost and figured they were more expensive than they are.

MnFn, I'm not actually in the market for one right now, just dreaming a little. That rampart looks great, but it's a little heavier than I'd want anyway. I'll add those to the list I'll check out if I ever actually get to buy one.

Thanks.

--------------------
Matt Toms

Posts: 1331 | From: Ackerly, Texas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2018
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you said wood but they don't come any slimmer than this one. If you like really slim risers like Great Northern bows, here is an older three piece Black Swan that I had converted to ILF to give me an endless choice of limbs with a slim straight longbow grip...tippit

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

The three piece bolt on before conversion to ILF...

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

Converted to ILF...

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8522 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longtoke
Contributor 2017
Member # 43977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longtoke   Email Longtoke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Wiltshire:
Pronghorn for sure.

thats what i was going to say

--------------------
Pika t/d 54"
Prairie Predator 60"
1961 kodiak 60"

Posts: 990 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prairie Drifter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prairie Drifter   Author's Homepage   Email Prairie Drifter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maddog prairie predator takedown

Check out this link

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=139850#000000

--------------------
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Posts: 1217 | From: Montana | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2018
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are looking for a lesser expensive one, find a used three piece in the classifieds that's in your weight range and Re-Shape the handle to what you want. I re-work a lot of bows on my knife grinder...but all you need is rasp and some different grades of sand paper. Just go slow and you'll be amazed at the results.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8522 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomsm44
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36742

quote:
Originally posted by tippit:
If you are looking for a lesser expensive one, find a used three piece in the classifieds that's in your weight range and Re-Shape the handle to what you want. I re-work a lot of bows on my knife grinder...but all you need is rasp and some different grades of sand paper. Just go slow and you'll be amazed at the results.

I have a 2x72 knife grinder. I hadn't thought about modifying an older bow. Building a bow is on my bucket list and the Bingham TD longbows have a similar design to what I like.

--------------------
Matt Toms

Anointed Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anointed Archer   Email Anointed Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I really like my Huron 3pcs longbow, it is extremely fast, quiet and smooth and very affordable!

--------------------
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Posts: 1744 | From: Greenville, Mi. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't have a pic, but I'm leaning towards a Toelke Lynx, I have a one piece Whip and it's awesome, but I want the riser mass a three piece offers

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2147 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©