3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 3 piece longbow, small riser, reasonable price. Let's see some pictures. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 3 piece longbow, small riser, reasonable price. Let's see some pictures.
finkm1
Contributor 2017
Member # 22045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finkm1   Email finkm1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the woods in that Huron Jeff? I had Terry build me a longbow last fall. Love it. It's a shooter.

--------------------
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Posts: 658 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vernon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vernon   Email vernon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i own and love my pronghorn but I also own and love my 3pc from Yellowstone Longbows. Rich Wormington is a great guy and great bowyer. If you look on his website the 3pc longbow that is black/brown is identical to the one I have.
Posts: 261 | From: Buffalo, Wyoming | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DannyBows
Contributor 2017
Member # 11762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DannyBows   Email DannyBows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for Pronghorn. Sleek, beautiful, stable, quiet, and deadly accurate. Couldn't ask for more in a bow.

--------------------
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves". ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Posts: 4140 | From: Sayreville, New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenBow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BenBow   Email BenBow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt I'd be careful removing wood from a riser. There is immense stress in the middle of the riser especially at the window cutout. I just finished building a slimmed down riser but it was made of 5/16" strips of hickory and locust with 3 pieces .030 fiberglass wrapped in fiberglass cloth glued in as a beam to keep it from cracking. Here's a link to the build and you can see how I did it. I'm still not satisfied with how strong it is but it's holding up. You don't want to invest money into a bow and end up ruining it not to mention injuring yourself.
Slimline riser

--------------------
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Posts: 5241 | From: Sunny Rio Rancho, New Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWallace10327
Contributor 2017
Member # 15447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWallace10327   Author's Homepage   Email BWallace10327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that warning. As for 3 piece longbow, the Yellowstone Half-Breed is another to be considered. This model looks like alot like a Pronghorn, until you have them side by side. I favor the Half-Breed myself.

--------------------
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Posts: 851 | From: Four Corner Area, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2017
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you on the warning...but I'm talking about re-shaping the grip. I refuse to sell any of my bows that I have worked on for liability reasons.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8500 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John146
SPONSOR
Member # 26049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John146   Email John146   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Lee

--------------------
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Posts: 1084 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomsm44
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomsm44   Email tomsm44   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd never try removing wood from the sight window area or the grip throat area. I doubt I'd even try it at all because I'd rather just get one that's already like I want it. But if I came across one for a good price that already needed a refinish job, it might be an option.

--------------------
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D: 64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter: 58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter: 58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter: 58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve: 56", 42@28

Posts: 1325 | From: Ackerly, Texas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RON ROMAN
Member # 22243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RON ROMAN   Email RON ROMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pronghorn, Kota Prairie Nomad, and the Tall Tines, Tundra or Stickflinger. I prefer the 2 latter. The TT is an amazing bow, and you know it the first shot you take. Good Luck to you in your search.
Posts: 38 | From: Leeds, North Dakota | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlacktailBowhunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacktailBowhunter   Email BlacktailBowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horne t/d Brushbow. Wait for one in the classifieds.

--------------------
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Posts: 911 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
southernarcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for southernarcher   Email southernarcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kotas are fine bows!

--------------------
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Posts: 533 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Taylor
Contributor 2017
Member # 12993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Taylor   Email Ken Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to why you prefer a 3 piece take down longbow to a 2 piece?

I guess part of it depends on the length of the longbows you shoot - but a 2 piece 66" longbow would fit in most of my arrow cases and a 68" would fit in two of my arrow cases.

Just wondering the reasons, advantages/disadvantages, etc. because I'm in the process of ordering a 2 piece longbow.

--------------------
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Posts: 742 | From: Waskaganish, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Finley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Finley   Email Tim Finley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 3 piece can be taken down smaller than a 2 part . My three piece goes inside my Viking Voyager arrow tube surrounded by a dozen arrows my strap on two part quiver and my glove go on top I can then zip it up and put it in my duffel bag with my clothes. A two piece is to long for that . And I think most 3 piece bows shoot better.
Posts: 487 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt steed
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matt steed   Email matt steed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Pronghorn 3pc longbow is a wonderful shooting bow. They are slim, quick and deadly quiet. Herb Meland is a cool guy to do business with. Use the search function for Pronghorn longbows or Herb Meland. I can text or email pictures of mine if that will help. You will not be disappointed with a Pronghorn longbow.
Posts: 175 | From: mississippi | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From your opening sentence I was going to recommend the Kota. I love my Killum. His 3 pc. Looks great. I have a nice tall tines stickflinger, but the riser is not slim like you described. Tim from Kota is on trad gang often,maybe he might be able to answer any questions.

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Northern Mist Baraga , Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 621 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©