3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Mitch Mitchum

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Sharpening Simmons Broadheads with a Rada (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sharpening Simmons Broadheads with a Rada
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by highlow:
Just received half a dozen of the new Simmons 175gr. Tiger Sharks. Have a Rada and commenced to sharpening those suckers up. Does do a great job. Then decided to give it a try on one of my 200gr. single bevel Cutthroats. Wow. The sharpest I've ever been able to get them. If you don't have one of those sharpeners, do yourself a favor, and a lot of money, and get a Rada.

How is it possible that this sharpener can work on a single bevel? It cuts a double bevel as it sharpens??? It seems to me that you would just essentially slowly be turning your single bevel into a double bevel by using this sharpener on it???

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11484 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lt-m-grow
Contributor 2015
Member # 3873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lt-m-grow   Email lt-m-grow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah what Bisch asked...please let us know.

I shoot single beveled Centaurs, similar to the Simmons, and that was what I was thinking about this sharpener in reading this post.

Posts: 1173 | From: Mount Horeb, WI | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluemoonrising
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluemoonrising   Email bluemoonrising   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went from Centaur heads to the Cutthroats because I couldn't get them sharp,sharp. Both of them are great heads. I, too am wondering if the Rada would work on the Centaurs.
Posts: 296 | From: Temperance, Mi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have watched Pat (PDK25) sharpen a single blade with them. I haven't ever shot a single bevel, so I wouldn't know. Hopefully he will be along soon to show y'all his tricks, as he showed me.

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Posts: 2754 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highlow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for highlow   Email highlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You won't know until you give it a try. It ain't rocket science.

--------------------
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Posts: 892 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called RADA and asked them what the angle was for this sharpener, and was told 38*. I am assuming that means 19* for each bevel???? I have never seen any knife sharpener that sharpens at a 38* bevel for each side. I hope I am correct. If so, it will perfectly match all the heads I now use.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11484 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longtoke
Contributor 2017
Member # 43977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longtoke   Email Longtoke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the video Daniel. I can never sharpen those curves blades. Going to try these out on my deltas and maybe even get a few tree sharks for the turkey season now that I might have a chance of getting them sharp.

--------------------
Pika t/d 54"
Prairie Predator 60"

Posts: 908 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought 2 off there website best sharpeners I've ever used,and with shipping I don't think I paid over $14.
Posts: 181 | From: il. | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkTimber
Contributor 2014
Member # 35852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkTimber   Email DarkTimber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bisch:
quote:
Originally posted by highlow:
Just received half a dozen of the new Simmons 175gr. Tiger Sharks. Have a Rada and commenced to sharpening those suckers up. Does do a great job. Then decided to give it a try on one of my 200gr. single bevel Cutthroats. Wow. The sharpest I've ever been able to get them. If you don't have one of those sharpeners, do yourself a favor, and a lot of money, and get a Rada.

How is it possible that this sharpener can work on a single bevel? It cuts a double bevel as it sharpens??? It seems to me that you would just essentially slowly be turning your single bevel into a double bevel by using this sharpener on it???

Bisch

I'm guessing it does in fact put a slight bevel on the non beveled (flat) side of a single bevel head. When I sharpen a single bevel by hand I do the same thing...sharpen the beveled side until I raise a slight burr on the flat side then take the burr off using light strokes on the flat side (at an angle). The slight bevel that forms on the flat side is barely even visible and has no effect on the rotation caused by the large beveled side. The Rada probably does the exact same thing.
Posts: 533 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
Contributor 2017
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding single bevel blades, this is how I use them. First of all, you must already have a good bevel set. Where this sharpener shines, is removing the Burr and just touching up the tip. You don't want to alter the bevel that is already set. Gentle strokes and keeping it straight will give you a very sharp edge, although perhaps not quite as sharp as a true single bevel, but you will retain all of the advantages of a single bevel Broadhead. I can promise you that it will still be exceedingly Sharp. Using this will eliminate the need for breaking out a file until the Broadhead has been considerably dulled up or gouged. Even then, I use a file to bring up a burr and then very gently remove the burr with the RADA. You could play around angling the broadhead to more closely follow the bevel, but I find that to be a waste of time, and more difficult to maintain alignment. Try this on a cutthroat broadhead right out of the package. It really all is about something quick and convenient to me.
Posts: 5302 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bisch, I presume along with you that it is 38 degrees total. Also, those are round wheels, not flat carbide cutters. There is some amount of "hollow grind" going on there at the very edge.
Posts: 7101 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Im sold. Coming in the mail in three days. We will see if I can get my simmons shaving!

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 507 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
30coupe
Contributor 2017
Member # 9663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30coupe   Email 30coupe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why I didn't try one of these before. My nephew has worked at Rada for years. I have one coming now!

--------------------
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Bamabows Expedition Hunter III 60" 48# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3222 | From: Manly and Bellevue, IA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highlow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for highlow   Email highlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DarkTimber is right on. It does produce a very slight double bevel, but as he says, does nothing to negate the desired effect of a single bevel. And as Pat says, it doesn't take a lot of pressure.

--------------------
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Posts: 892 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kleine
Contributor 2017
Member # 22357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kleine   Email kleine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried them and they work, I have drawers full of them and knives. Rada is only ten minutes away!

--------------------
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 50#@28"
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Kanati 58" 50#@28"
Kodiak 59' - 60" 48#@28"

Posts: 310 | From: Plainfield Iowa | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©