3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Low 40s GPP (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Low 40s GPP
Cody Greenwood
2017 Contributor
Member # 44313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Greenwood   Email Cody Greenwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a couple large body Iowa Whitetail last season 42lbs shooting about 11 gpp. I had 2 pass through shots.

Tuned arrows with Grizzly BHs

Posts: 27 | From: Iowa | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forestdweller
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forestdweller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally shoot a little over 10gpp holding about 42# on the fingers but have noticed even when shooting a 30# bow with the same exact arrows (420 or so grains) the trajectory is almost exactly the same within 25 yards between the 30# bow and the 45# bow.

Beyond 25 yards and the difference in trajectory will start to show itself slowly the further you go out.

If I was hunting something big boned and planned on keeping my shots within 25 yards I'd go with 13gpp since the change in trajectory will be nearly non existent within 25 yards.

Posts: 349 | From: NJ | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yooper-traveler
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yooper-traveler   Email Yooper-traveler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 42 lb whip at 27". My woodies weigh in at 585 and my carbons 10-15 grains less. I might play with lighter arrows once the snow melts. Quite honestly I hunt deer at 16-21 yards, so I'm fine with it. My 41-42 lb bear TD likes 500 ish grain arrows.

--------------------
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

Posts: 56 | From: U.P. of Michigan | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DJ, I love my Whips my orig was 50 lbs and Dan took it down to 43 and 58". My go to is 62" 42 with HS limbs. Both were built for me so fit is perfect. With everything I've ever done-- rifle, pistol, etc I've always looked for something better. Not so in archery-- the Toelkes are the best in my opinion. Great bows!
Posts: 518 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just happened upon this post and based upon results this season i wanted to report that i have had less than stellar penetration on whitetail with arrows in the low 400 s. I am back to using beman mfxs with 200 grs up front for close to 500 grains total. I like the grizzly single bevel heads and limit my shots to less than 20 yards. I have found no trajectory issues at this close range. I will save lighter arrows for 3d.
Posts: 518 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Nocking Point
SPONSOR
Member # 26001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nocking Point   Author's Homepage   Email The Nocking Point   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Bisch said!
Terry

--------------------
The Nocking Point
Like us on Facebook
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Posts: 2666 | From: Log cabin in Osage county Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Finley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Finley   Email Tim Finley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velocity has a lot to do with penetration although people think a heavy arrow will penetrate more, arrows can be too heavy and detrimental to penetration . I like 9 to 10 grains and I don't like over 10 gpp although my wood arrows are. Ive shot a lot of animals and I hardly ever get a pass through , complete penetration almost always but pass throughs hardly ever, even when I shot over 60 #s and 650 gain arrows . Either someone is mixed up about their terminology or there is some bs on here with all the pass throughs with 40# bows.
Posts: 498 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Finley:
Velocity has a lot to do with penetration although people think a heavy arrow will penetrate more, arrows can be too heavy and detrimental to penetration . I like 9 to 10 grains and I don't like over 10 gpp although my wood arrows are. Ive shot a lot of animals and I hardly ever get a pass through , complete penetration almost always but pass throughs hardly ever, even when I shot over 60 #s and 650 gain arrows . Either someone is mixed up about their terminology or there is some bs on here with all the pass throughs with 40# bows.

There are an awful lot of variables to this. I think any arrow approaching 10gpp out of a 40# bow at 20 yards or under is capable of a pass-through provided it has a razor-sharp broadhead and doesn't encounter bone.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 668 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunt with a 40# longbow...and draw 27”. So about 37-38# on the fingers. I am shooting .600 carbons out of it this season...but all years before were 1816 aluminums. Carbons weigh 460 grains...and the aluminums weighed 440 grains.

I have shot a pile of deer with the aluminums...but only 2 so far this season with the heavier carbons. The aluminums penetrate way better than the carbons....and I have only had one deer that wasn’t a pass thru with the 1816’s. Neither of the deer shot with the carbons went all the way thru.

29” 1816’s...with 125g up front.

Full length 15/35 GT...with 225 up front.

Back to my lighter aluminums next season and here on out.

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2158 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3arrows
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3arrows   Email 3arrows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learn how to shoot a bare shaft.

--------------------
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Posts: 541 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Van Dort
CONTRIBUTOR 2018 - Mod
Member # 137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Van Dort   Email Tony Van Dort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooting a whisper quiet Osage Royale ASL, 498gr woodies, pulling 42# @27" - 11.8 GPP
Posts: 2291 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©