3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

2017 St. Jude Auction

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION LISTING FORUM

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » I need an adventure, not a weekender...MOOSE JOHN? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I need an adventure, not a weekender...MOOSE JOHN?
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bad....I must have had someone else on my mind.

Who wrote a book named Baker...maybe Bill Baker?

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30003 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just did a search...it was Bill Baker that passed.

My mistake.

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 30003 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Just did a search...it was Bill Baker that passed.

My mistake.

--------------------

The Night Stalker
Contributor 2017
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Night Stalker   Email The Night Stalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hunting partner was suppose to hunt the moose John area with Yote Robertson a few years ago. The hunt fell through I believe from a plane wreck. The guide that Yote worked for lost the area. More to that story.
We are moose hunting the interior this year. 0nly four months to go. I imagine other PBS'ers are going this year.

--------------------
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 1256 | From: Ashe County, NC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston Lay
Contributor 2017
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston Lay   Email Preston Lay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book is "Born To The Bow" Bill Baker. A great book that's still available from Sioux Archery
Posts: 239 | From: Jennings,OK | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Yes...I have Bill's book....a friend gave it to me.

--------------------

DesertDude
2017 Contributor
Member # 4551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertDude   Author's Homepage   Email DesertDude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been A dream hunt of mine since I read a story about the Moose John in a Archery mag in the 80's.

--------------------
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Posts: 3523 | From: San Diego California | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay Campbell has been a couple of times. Maybe he can advise you.
Posts: 3565 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful with dreaming about float hunts these days. There are so many folks on the rivers both floating and running with jet boats that the wilderness experience of yesteryear is all but gone.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9243 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Dill
Contributor 2015
Member # 3560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Dill   Email Kevin Dill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a lot of ways to get to moose and nobody is better at it than Alaskans. I've seen airboats and jetboats over 90 river miles from the nearest launch. If there is navigable water with good moose hunting, it's been found and exploited. You can float beautiful scenic rivers in prime moose country and never know that a dozen hunters have already been down the river ahead of you...and possibly with firearms. Though it's often romanticized and talked about in traditional circles, the true wilderness float hunt (with good moose hunting) is a very elusive animal.

I purposely go out of my way to avoid navigable rivers and all areas accessed via land or water. Aircraft is the only way I go as it gets me in places where I can be alone and never see another hunter, unless it's a partner.

Posts: 1697 | From: OH - Buckeye Country | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Maher   Email Ben Maher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Baker use to run some amazing 'Buff hunts here in Oz, sadly he passed away some years ago now . A giant in the Australian hunting archery community whose footsteps will be hard to follow .

Mick Baker, no relation , has had an outfitting business and also owns Widowmaker B'heads and shafts . Not sure if he is still outfitting.

--------------------
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Posts: 2652 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2013 we floated DIY for two weeks without seeing a fire ring, a piece of charcoal, a human footprint or a log or piece of wood that had been touched by an axe or saw. It really was the pure wilderness I had wanted.

We didn't kill anything but spruce grouse but it had nothing to do with opportunity.

That said, if I go to AK again it will be for a DIY fly in camp where hopefully the wilderness experience will be the same.

OTOH, there is another float waiting where an equally wild experience could be had.

--------------------
Monterey

"Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"

Thomas Stearns Eliot
(1888-1965)

Posts: 2666 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FerretWYO
Admin
Member # 13052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FerretWYO   Email FerretWYO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would be awesome.

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow

Posts: 6387 | From: Cheyenne Wy | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matty
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matty   Email Matty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
This would be awesome.

Well.....lets do it.....
We're only getting older....

Posts: 4052 | From: Fort Collins,Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
Contributor 2017
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Moose John hunt is no longer available. I've done the Moose John twice, the first time with Jay and the second time with Ernie Holland, who took over the business after Jay died. I don't know the details, but Yote Robertson was working for Ernie when Ernie crashed his plane.

BTW my partner and I did not get a moose on the first hunt, though my partner had an opportunity. We both got nice bulls in the 60-inch class on the second hunt.

I highly recommend a float trip for moose in Alaska.

Posts: 8375 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©