3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 225gr, screw in, single bevel broad heads - what's your recommendation (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 225gr, screw in, single bevel broad heads - what's your recommendation
GDPolk
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now my top two to look into trying are:

Abowyer Brown Bear and 50gr adapter
185gr Grizzly with long Al adapter

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - 225gr up front for 22% FOC

Posts: 1378 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander Traditional
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander Traditional   Email Alexander Traditional   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been checking out the Eclipse Werewolf line,but unfortunately nothing quite in the range you mentioned. They do have some on both sides of it though.
Posts: 2399 | From: TX | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
love the brown bear

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6203 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShrtRnd
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShrtRnd   Email ShrtRnd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for the RMS Cutthroats, they are solid heads all around. I have some Valkyrie Bloodeagles on the way that I'm looking forward to trying also.

--------------------
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Stalker Stickbow Coyote FXT 62" #53@29"

Posts: 61 | From: Ont, Canada | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend helix if you must have a screw in design. Although I've been shooting 225 gr grizzlies for the past two seasons by adding the appropriate weight insert.
Posts: 2561 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gooserbat
2017 Contributor
Member # 10106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gooserbat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without knowing what arrow you are shooting I will add that if it's something with a fully threaded insert like a standard Goldtip or carbon express, you can add a 7/8 8-32 setscrew to the back of the inserts for about$3 per dozen. Theses weight 26 gr and open the door for 200 gr heads like the cutthroat.

--------------------
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Posts: 761 | From: Illinios River, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluemoonrising
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluemoonrising   Email bluemoonrising   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cutthroats... Even I can get them really sharp.
Posts: 298 | From: Temperance, Mi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Zor
Contributor 2017
Member # 45935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Zor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going into the woods with the new Bonebroadheads. They're only out in 125 or 200, so like Cutthroats you'd have to either add a little weight or adjust your length to compensate. Cutthroats are another good option, I just like the idea that the shape ofvthe Bonebroadhead puts the weight a little further foreward.

-

Posts: 53 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snakebit40
Contributor 2015
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snakebit40   Email snakebit40   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my Cutthroats!!! 200 gr with an adapter [thumbsup]

--------------------
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 54@28
Toelke Pika 54@28

Posts: 1909 | From: Colby, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jwilliam
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 5307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jwilliam   Email Jwilliam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I'd run a long aluminium adapter in a 185 grizzly. Ought to come out real close.

My thoughts exactly. Have done this myself and the ones I weighed were 228gr.

--------------------
60" Zipper SXT 52@28"
62" Zipper Nitro 52@28"
62" Dwyer Dauntless 52@28"
60" Treadway Black Forest 52@28"
64" Treadway Black Forest 52@28"

Posts: 3320 | From: Erie, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tater   Email Tater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to beat the 185 Grizzly on a long al adapter.
I can get the Grizzlies scary sharp!

--------------------
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
PBS Associate
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 3333 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone has some 185 Grizzlies on long Al adaptors that I could try let me know. I'll start there and test for accuracy then if they shoot well for me build some dedicated shafts for them with all my heads oriented horizontal at my natural level of cant.

--------------------

Posts: 1378 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jwilliam
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 5307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jwilliam   Email Jwilliam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garrett,
PM me an address and I will mail you one to tryout.

--------------------
60" Zipper SXT 52@28"
62" Zipper Nitro 52@28"
62" Dwyer Dauntless 52@28"
60" Treadway Black Forest 52@28"
64" Treadway Black Forest 52@28"

Posts: 3320 | From: Erie, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36712

quote:
Originally posted by Jwilliam:
Garrett,
PM me an address and I will mail you one to tryout.

Thank you sir. PM sent. I'll have it back in the mail to you within a couple days of getting it in and sending it through my Block foam target to verify that they hold point of impact for me. If it flies right for me then I'll order a dozen and have them ready by opening day.

--------------------

oldbohntr
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 5733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldbohntr   Author's Homepage   Email oldbohntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had great results with the Abowyer Brown Bear and the titanium insert. And, although I haven't tried the 225 yet, the Tuffhead 250s are darned good and pretty darn sharp right out of the pack!

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 1207 | From: Washington state | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©