3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 2 or 3 blade (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 2 or 3 blade
Ari_Bonn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting a 43#@28(draw 27) Robertson raven styk

planning for a hunting set up for deer. Going for 10gpp arrows roughly.

I know shot placement and sharpness are key but been thinking 3 blades much harder to stop bleeding that 2 but will I have enough power? Or should I just stick with 2 blades for penetration?

Posts: 161 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd use a Wensel Woodsman with that set up.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13140 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two blades are lethal and work well with vital marks in conjunction with a moderately designed arrow.

Would personally be much more comfortable with a total arrow wt at 500 gn minimum and a 2 blade BH.

Guided two trad hunters to their first deer harvest last season. One had been 0 for 31 and the other was to take his first shot ever on live game. They both were shooting approximately 40#s...525 gn arrows and 2 blade BH's. Both were complete pass thru's and very short recoveries on their first attempts.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6532 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ari_Bonn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am alright with 500 gr, I like woods but In this case perhaps a high foc carbon setup to maximize pass through chances.
Posts: 161 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've shot the vpa 3 blade at 45# on deer with a 480 grain arrow and had no problem with penetration. Make em sharp and put them in the right spot.

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 652 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If u was shooting a 40# draw weight, I would stick with a 2-blade!

JMHO

YMMV

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11718 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Bisch. I'm shooting 45# and I go with a 2 blade.

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 1000 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Richard
Contributor 2016
Member # 34555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Richard   Email Rick Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just better blood trail with three blade in my opinion.
Posts: 1315 | From: Conover, NC | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh H
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josh H   Email Josh H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with a 2 blade--Magnus, Simmons, Zwickey.

Sharpen them up and shoot em straight.

Josh

Posts: 45 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd lean toward a two-blade as well, but a small three-blade like a Woodsman (as opposed to a Snuffer, for example) would do the job as well.
Posts: 8587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John146
SPONSOR
Member # 26049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John146   Email John146   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go with 2 blade as well to increase the possibility of an exit hole. 3 blades do give better blood trails but exit hole is really what gives you the good blood trail. I shoot 47# and 515 grains. Shot a deer with a 3 blade Woodsman and busted both shoulder blades but just barely broke the skin on the far side. Hardly any blood to follow but she didn't go far at all. Shot a deer in Kansas with a two blade Cutthroat and it broke rib bone going in and shoulder bone going out and penetrated enough to get an exit hole. Great blood trail.

To qualify: I was shooting from an elevated stand on both of these deer and that's when a high entry and no exit cost you the most. If your ground hunting you still get decent blood with only an entry hole and a 3 blade would help in that situation.

--------------------
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Posts: 1094 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna try some grizzly single bevels this year as I've dropped a few pounds to about 43. I also upped my arrow weight about 60 grains because I'm gonna go after some hogs in January but I wouldn't hesitate to try my vpa's for deer. I haven't shot a lot of deer with traditional equipment so I would probably take advice from someone like Bisch who is a flat out killer

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 652 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tyabb
Member # 46508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tyabb   Email tyabb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with John in that if you hunt from an elevated position go with 2 blade. You need the exit hole to get a decent blood trail. I like 3 blades hunting from the ground as well.
Dave

Posts: 2 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you shooting front loaded carbons? If you are then the three blades will work, if shooting wood I would use the two blades.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1581 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katman
2017 Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katman   Email katman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drawing 27 then 40-41#, 2 blade would be my choice and agree with a heavier arrow like 500gr.

--------------------
shoot straight shoot often

Posts: 3627 | From: south carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©