3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Steven "memo" Dimitrakellis

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 2 or 3 blade (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 2 or 3 blade
stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My choice is a 125gr. Magnus II.
Posts: 1360 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NY Yankee
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NY Yankee   Email NY Yankee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of head you shoot is up to you. Shoot what flies well for you and you can get good and sharp. Put that arrow where it's supposed to go and any head will kill the deer in short order. Any bad hit will not be a good hit just because you used a 3 blade. Dont worry about the blood trail. Worry about getting close and making a good hit to make a quick kill. Then you can watch them fall. These 2 v 3 blade arguments are just silly.

--------------------
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Posts: 402 | From: Canandaigua, NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NY Yankee:
These 2 v 3 blade arguments are just silly.

Yeah.... that's why I use four blades. [biglaugh]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & L*** A********* (coming soon)

Posts: 30462 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Braveheart Archery
SPONSOR
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Braveheart Archery   Author's Homepage   Email Braveheart Archery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Trad Gang. It's not an argument it's a discussion.

[campfire]

I have come to prefer 3 blades with a lot of my set ups since I was shooting through deer so easily with 2 blades I figured I was wasting cutting power.

If I am not shooting a 3 blade it's a large 2 blade like a Tusker Delta or a Simmons. Best of both worlds.

--------------------
Braveheart Archery www.braveheartarchery.us
The web home of Firefly Bows.
Shipping rates start at just $2.99!
Trad Gang Sponsor since 2006

Posts: 3022 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NY Yankee
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NY Yankee   Email NY Yankee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Green:
quote:
Originally posted by NY Yankee:
These 2 v 3 blade arguments are just silly.

Yeah.... that's why I use four blades. [biglaugh]
GO GET EM TERRY!!! HA!

--------------------
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Posts: 402 | From: Canandaigua, NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texbow2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texbow2   Email texbow2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 40lb I would go with a 2 blade, especially with a big Canadian WT or mulie, a lot bigger than a central texas whitetail.
Posts: 168 | From: georgetown, texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sirius Black
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sirius Black   Email Sirius Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Mint's advice best. But, also appreciate the humorous responses too!

--------------------
Bear Kodiak - Bear Kodiak Magnum - Bear Kodiak T/D

Posts: 1275 | From: Baraboo, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeM   Email JoeM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poundage is light Canadian deer are big. I still think you'll be fine with either on a good shot. The only advice I would have is if you go 2 blade go big. That's what I prefer a big MA1.

--------------------
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 1453 | From: Centereach NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ari_Bonn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool thanks guys, now I just gotta decide which 2 black I want. Leaning towards a 200gr Ace or a grizzly.

--------------------
Current:
Two Tracks: 70" Echo 50#

Ravenbeak: 72" English longbow 48#

Posts: 121 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
Contributor 2017
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with a 2 blade personally.

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - 225gr up front for 22% FOC

Posts: 1292 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tracker12
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracker12   Email tracker12   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VPA or Magnus 2 blade is my choice for that bow.

--------------------
T ZZZZ

Posts: 1765 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a serious note....If I had to shoot that weight and draw on a CANADIAN deer....I would use a POINTY 2 blade head.

Contrary to what many believe all bheads are NOT the same...they are designed to do different things....they are TOOLS...and you don't build a house with just a screw driver.

Using an overly tanto will not be an advantage....it will tent more at impact, and its NOT going to bust through a heavy Canadian shoulder with the 'bone busting' advantages that a tanto gives with a heavier weight bow....so...

Take advantage of POINTY heads, or a SLIGHT tanto, that wont rob you of energy at impact and let you travel further with that light weight bow and arrow. And remember....folks hit a little back about 85-90% vs too far forward(study done right here on TradGang).

So again, place your bet on the MOST LIKELY worst case scenario of too far back and lets get a pass through....

I don't find BroadHead discussions silly....I find them serious.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & L*** A********* (coming soon)

Posts: 30462 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SS Snuffer
Contributor 2015
Member # 16844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SS Snuffer   Email SS Snuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
150 gr Magnus Stingers with bleeder blades are the best of both worlds. Just my experience!

--------------------
Chuck
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 42 lb.

Posts: 763 | From: Villard Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chad R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chad R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great points Terry ( no pun intended) :-)

I am shooting lower poundage, as I get older, and a well known arrow maker told me the same thing about pointy 2 blade and not tanto at low draw weights.

I wish they still made STOS but I think Zwickey Eskimos will work :-)

Thanks!!

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chad R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chad R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great points Terry ( no pun intended) :-)

I am shooting lower poundage, as I get older, and a well known arrow maker told me the same thing about pointy 2 blade and not tanto at low draw weights.

I wish they still made STOS but I think Zwickey Eskimos will work :-)

Thanks!!

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©