3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Maine bear trip-update on page 2 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Maine bear trip-update on page 2
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Black Widow Bear hunt is coming up fast! I've pretty well worked thru my shoulder and hand issues with physical therapy and working out and am back to shooting my 50# bows. I truly believe that reason I have made such good progress is that I had the Bear hunt for incentive. The second week of May, I couldn't even draw my bow one time and now I am shooting 25-50 arrows at least every other day. A lot of days my shoulders hurt so bad I didn't even want to get out of bed, but having this hunt on the calendar spurred me to get up and do the therapy and quit my whining!

We leave on the morning of August 26 and will drive about 2/3 of the way to Squapan Mountain Outfitters, then finish up the drive on Sunday. I will be hunting with a 50#@28" Widow PLV, Beman 400 shafts with VPA 3 blades. 17 days left to do some fine tuning on my shooting and get my gear sorted and packed. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Black Widow PLIII 62", 49#@28"
Black Widow PLV 62", 50#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3321 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Lex
Contributor 2017
Member # 43896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Lex   Email A Lex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I bought my 55lb Blackwidow PLX, the idea of the Blackwidow Bear hunt was floating around in the back of my mind. Unfortunately, doing that hunt from Australia is way out of my budget at the moment.

Would absolutely love to do it though.

Enjoy your hunt and would love to see some pictures when you get back.

Best
Lex

Posts: 44 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goingoldskool
Contributor 2017
Member # 38326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goingoldskool   Email goingoldskool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really need to try that hunt as well....every year at this time when people start threads on it, I find myself trying to find the easiest/fastest route up there!

Good luck and shoot straight!
God bless,

Rodd

--------------------
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28

Posts: 860 | From: nw missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent......best of luck on your hunt!!

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15690 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JakeD
Contributor 2016
Member # 44209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JakeD   Email JakeD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck on the hunt! You might get a chance to meet my brother and a friend of his. They are leaving September 2, so I don't know if you'll still be there when they get there or not.

--------------------
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28
Maddog Prairie Predator 57" 45@28

Posts: 364 | From: Missouri | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biathlonman
Contributor 2017
Member # 13332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biathlonman   Email Biathlonman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need #50 for bear, but I'm glad you got the shoulders working. VPA 3 blade is an excellent choice.
Posts: 3905 | From: Lexington, Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JakeD-I believe we will be gone before your brother and his friend arrive, but if not I will introduce myself for sure!
Biathlonman-the lightest bows I own are 49# and 50# and then on up to 58#. I did borrow a 43# bow to shoot to help get the muscle memory back. I could've hunted with it if I needed to, but I am getting comfortable with my bows again. I have killed a few deer and a hog with the VPAs and I am very impressed with them. I killed a couple of deer with the Cutthroat heads that VPA make for RMSG as well and they are a great head too. I have killed a couple of bear in the past...one with a 3 blade and one with a 2 blade. I liked the blood trail I got with the 3 blade.

--------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3321 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Fields
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Fields   Email Phillip Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I'll see you there. This will be my first bear hunt and I'm pumped. I'll be shooting a Brushwolf longbow built by a good friend of mine in Texas. It's 45# at my 28" draw, shooting wood arrows with 125 gr Ace Standard 2 blade heads.

--------------------
Keep em Sharp!

Posts: 337 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Look forward to meeting you!

--------------------
NRA Life Member

AR RidgeRunner
SPONSOR
Member # 4558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR RidgeRunner   Author's Homepage   Email AR RidgeRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maine is a beautiful place to look at and even better to look at while your hunting. Hope to go back someday.

--------------------
TimberGhost Archery

Posts: 505 | From: Springdale, AR | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meflyfisherman
Member # 46090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meflyfisherman   Email Meflyfisherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Mike, will keep fingers crossed for cool windless days for you. Hope you have a ball. Are you stand hunting or using hounds?

--------------------
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Posts: 57 | From: New Gloucester, Maine | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11729 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trout man
Member # 36902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trout man   Email Trout man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope ya take a nice bear and have a great time up there.Glad to hear you are doing great with your shoulder problems..I am going thought it right now.GET SOME GREAT PICS TO PUT UP.
Posts: 77 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Thanks to all for the good wishes!
Meflyfisherman-It is a bait hunt. I have never been to the northeast and I am really looking forward to it.
Trout man-Shoulder problems are tough to deal with. I had both knees replaced last November and I saw the same doctor/surgeon for my shoulder issues. He prescribed physical therapy which worked amazingly well. He told me that a double knee replacement was a cake walk compared to shoulder repair/replacement. That made me become very vigilant with my therapy and very conscious of my shoulders when working in the woods or around the house. I still do the things I need to do, I am just careful of shoulder position. Hope you do well with your shoulder issues!

--------------------
NRA Life Member

Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy a great hunt.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6532 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©