3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » How to hunt bears, no bait and no dogs? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How to hunt bears, no bait and no dogs?
JARHEAD1371
Contributor 2017
Member # 15799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JARHEAD1371   Email JARHEAD1371   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still scouting areas some areas on base at Quantico, VA but I have found some bear tracks around. Base regs are very strict on not using bait of any kind, including liquids that can be sprayed onto something that is editable. I have also been warned about stalking/still hunting, even ground hunting, and having other hunters complain about you to the Game Warden.
Besides simple dumb luck, what other tactics can be used to hunt bears? Thank you for any info shared.

--------------------
Frankenbow- Centaur ILF limbs, WF19 riser, Black Eagle arrows.

ACS 3-piece

Active Duty Marines '96-'04 Medically Retired

Posts: 147 | From: Where the Marine Corps sends us. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
predator call

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1338 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't buy a bear tag!

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2136 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug_K
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 41663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug_K   Email Doug_K   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never hunted a military base before, but if you can find a good berry patch you can always watch that, as well as trails leading to and from.

Here it takes around 8 years to draw a tag, so I wouldn't concern myself with other hunters complaining about the way I want to hunt.

--------------------
70" Bamabows Hunter 55# @ 28
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52# @ 28
60" A.D.M Earth 63# @ 28
60" Hoyt TD3 43# & 55# @ 28
52" Bear Kodiak Magnum 43# & 48# @ 28

Posts: 195 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 26482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etter   Email Etter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In north ga, we hunt them over white oaks (or whatever mast produced that year). I usually see a few dozen per year.
Posts: 428 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Carlsen
Contributor 2017
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Carlsen   Email Bill Carlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot a deer. Gut it out. Hang a tree stand. Wait. It won't take long.

--------------------
The best things in life....aren't things!

Posts: 5246 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill from NJ
Member # 44394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill from NJ   Email Bill from NJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent.

--------------------
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Posts: 92 | From: Southern New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roadkill
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadkill   Email Roadkill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunted Quantico for years-never saw a bear. I guess with all the day and night training for OCS other formal schools, bears avoided it. They seem to be making a come back all over the east now. Took many deer in area 9

--------------------
goodness of woodness, Semper Fidelis. Molon labe

Posts: 3034 | From: Nevada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota on certain busy lakes it is quite easy. Just stand in your campsite and bang two frying pans together. You cannot bait, you cannot move, and you cannot use scent. Calls are the only option beyond total crap shoot. Probably not worth the effort.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5805 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedShaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedShaft   Email RedShaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problems.
In PA we get 1 week. No bait, no scents, no dogs...
I got the tags. But you would really have to have one pinned down to get on it. They seem very nomadic.

--------------------
Respect All...Fear None!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Posts: 1770 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VT has a growing bear population and fairly long season (Sept 1 to middle of the Nov firearms deer season) but doesn't allow baiting either and limits dogs for self use only - no guides with dogs - which presents a challenge. As stated already, bears are all about food in the Fall so find a food source they're hitting, either hard or soft mast, and place a tree stand or ground blind or still hunt it. I haven't tried a predator call yet but may this year. The only caveat is when calling you are the food source which can be good and bad!
Posts: 225 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarrinG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarrinG   Email DarrinG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a good funnel area between two oak ridges, assuming you'll have a mast crop this year. A really good funnel between 2 hardwood ridges is a game magnet. I found one last winter on topo maps, then put boots on the ground and went and scouted it. Sign everywhere! Then this summer I put up a trail camera in the funnel/gap between the ridges. Wow! Every critter in the woods is using this funnel area like crazy. Deer, bears, coyotes,...its a game-rich hotspot. I'm hoping to bring deer and bear meat out of that area this fall!

--------------------
Mark 1:17

Posts: 240 | From: Western NC | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Birdbow
Contributor 2014
Member # 21586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birdbow   Email Birdbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with those above who recommend finding a hot food source - mast, apples, berries, etc.
This year here, for instance, the beechnut crop looks strong so I'll concentrate on a couple ridges with lots of beech trees. Good luck!

--------------------
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Posts: 620 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeM   Email JoeM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beech nuts if you have any around, if not white oaks are good. Water if it's hot.

--------------------
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 1453 | From: Centereach NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just fall in a vat of left over fried chicken grease right before you head out, tell the warden you were so hungry after yesterday's hunt and pigged out at a KFC the night before and that youre sweating KFC or pack a bucket of KFC for lunch that day. He gonna cite you for what you brought for lunch and that you're a hungry growing boy?

[bigsmyl] [laughing]

--------------------
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Wes Wallace Mentor
62" W&W Black Wolf+Kaya K2's
70" HHA Black Mamba #46

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7065 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©