3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Steven "memo" Dimitrakellis

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Broadhead Storeage (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Broadhead Storeage
Sirius Black
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sirius Black   Email Sirius Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in how you hunters store broadheads, when not on your arrows? There are commercial broadhead boxes for purchase out there, but I'm not crazy about them. They're not always large enough for the heads we use. I'm thinking about making my own. Looking for ideas. Thanks!

--------------------
Bear Kodiak - Bear Kodiak Magnum - Bear Kodiak T/D

Posts: 1275 | From: Baraboo, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texbow2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texbow2   Email texbow2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just oil them, wrap in a paper towel and put in Tupperware with lid
Posts: 168 | From: georgetown, texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
2017 Contributor
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep them glued on the arrows. [dunno]

--------------------
Charlie P. ~~ _/)~~ A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 3 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 2 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 3813 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chumster
Contributor 2017
Member # 25576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chumster   Author's Homepage   Email Chumster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of my loose broadheads are kept in those five compartment plastic fishing lure boxes found at WM. I have them marked as new, used or varmint. Varmint are too far gone to resharpen effectively.

--------------------
Never wait too long!

Posts: 322 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ksbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ksbowman   Email ksbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulled up two how to's but, Photobucket strikes again.

--------------------
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Posts: 1850 | From: Paola,kansas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made this broadhead storage container years ago out of a coffee can. It fits perfectly into the arrow carrier for transport to camp. I use the original Bear vinyl sleeves to carry a few extra in my pack.

-

Posts: 204 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
Contributor 2017
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make little leather broached sheaths for mine. Some stay on arrows and some stay in a tool box that's loaded will all sorts of archery odds and ends, spare parts, and arrow making stuff.

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - footed, 574gr, 21.2% FOC

Posts: 1284 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug_K
Contributor 2017
Member # 41663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug_K   Email Doug_K   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made a wooden box out of scrap plywood, something like 14x14, with an insert drilled in a grid of holes to accept a light press fit of the aluminum inserts that come with GT shafts that I never use.. had quite a stockpile of them. I screw the broadheads into the inserts and push them into the holes. Keeps them orderly and if the box gets jostled they stay put. Believe it holds something like 60 broad heads. Planned to make a partition on the side for glue ons, but so far they're just laying on that side [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
70" Bamabows Hunter 55# @ 28
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52# @ 28
60" A.D.M Earth 63# @ 28
60" Hoyt TD3 43# & 55# @ 28
52" Bear Kodiak Magnum 43# & 48# @ 28

Posts: 181 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnovo
Contributor 2017
Member # 6889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnovo   Email dnovo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I glue them on my wood arrows. Ready to go that way.

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Posts: 1561 | From: Imperial, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once I get glued on and shooting well, it stays on the shaft permanently.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4647 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NY Yankee
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NY Yankee   Email NY Yankee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the flat, plastic, multi compartment fishing lure boxes from Wally World. Oil the heads and put them in a compartment. Piece of green masking tape over the compartment to label with a sharpie. This the best way I have found.

--------------------
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Posts: 402 | From: Canandaigua, NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beeswax coating to prevent rust, stuck in foam and/or on a shelf.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 498 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They go into a small parts cabinet with pull out drawers that sits on the bench, one drawer for each brand. They are fine in there with no special rig needed and since they are indoors rust is not an issue.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Posts: 731 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I go to a little trouble to ensure two-blade heads are vertically aligned at my cant so that I can use them for aiming(like the front sight of a rifle), I also leave them on the shafts in an arrow box so I don't have to match them up again. I light Vaseline wipe on the edges and all I have to do the following season is strop.

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1638 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small cardboard box and put them on the shelf.
Posts: 2884 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©