3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Help - Grip sear on wood riser?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help - Grip sear on wood riser?
VA_Bowhunter
Member # 46506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VA_Bowhunter   Email VA_Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently completed Joel Turner's Ironmind Controlled Shooting Process online course. Through trials and errors, I've found that a grip sear seems to work best for me overcoming my recoil anticipation. Right now, I'm putting my ring finger on the side of my wood riser wrapped with a leather grip. To find consistency, I would like it to be a plastic washer or some sort of additional physical material. Steve Abbott had made this bow and it is quite important to me that I do not deface it in any way. Has anyone come up with a solid way of having a washer or something attached to a wood riser bow without drilling or having to deface the bow?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

--------------------
Happy hunting

-Mike

Posts: 4 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete McMiller
Contributor 2013
Member # 23559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete McMiller   Email Pete McMiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot Glue?

--------------------
Pete

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE [mo 'lon la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Posts: 1354 | From: Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tedd
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tedd   Email Tedd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same question here. Maybe a wire-tie with the end of it cut about 1/4" long? Some people call the a tie wrap. You might have to mess with position and cut a few off but they are cheap.
I noticed as I went through the course that I started touching a feather just under my nose. I think that might work for me instead of the grip sear.
BTW I started the course on Sunday a week ago. The improvement in accuracy and control is amazing. Instead of practicing myself into a frustrated sweat, I can shoot a few and hang it up. Plus my fisrt shot is much much better. I feel like I want to stop the course now but I'll continue.
Tedd

Posts: 2530 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VA_Bowhunter
Member # 46506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VA_Bowhunter   Email VA_Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot glue to mount a washer and zip ties are a good call. Going to give both a try over the weekend and let you know how it works out. I appreciate it fellas.

--------------------
Happy hunting

-Mike

Posts: 4 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VA_Bowhunter
Member # 46506

Just threw on a zip tie and headed out. Worked great. May stick with it. Figured it's an easy field fix should it break on me (just keep an extra zip tie or two in my pack). I ended up having to move it around a bit. Ended up 2 1/8" below the shelf. The cut end of the zip tie was cut down to 1/8" and is hanging off of the corner of the riser at a 10 o'clock position.

--------------------
Happy hunting

-Mike

McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used double-sided carpet tape for years to hold on rests and strike plates. It doesn't damage the wood, other than perhaps a little residue that can easily be removed with goofoff. I don't know if it would be strong enough to hold a grip sear that would be under constant use, but there wouldn't be any downside to trying.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4209 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tedd
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tedd   Email Tedd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you post a photo so we can see where you put the zip tie? What finger do you click it with?
Tedd

Posts: 2530 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jabodnar
Contributor 2017
Member # 36663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jabodnar   Email jabodnar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I messed around will the grip sear this summer. I really liked it,, but had some struggles. I'm using the clicker for this hunting season and am going to give the grip sear a more thorough testing in the off season.

I just used a guitar pick and the 3m double sided outdoor tape on my wood riser. Worked like a charm and came off with no damage. Not sure how it would work on a leather covered handle though.

Posts: 34 | From: TX | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©