3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.
texbow2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texbow2   Email texbow2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only draw a touch over 27 and I prefer a 60" recurve. 58" is ok but I get pinched with any 56" that I have tried. I prefer a high grip and a radiused shelf. I also prefer a heavy riser.
Posts: 172 | From: georgetown, texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stevem
Contributor 2015
Member # 3749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stevem   Email stevem   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I draw 27", and will not buy another bow that is under 62". Can't explain that, but short bows just don't feel right to me. I think the '72 Bear Kodiak Hunter is about the most perfect bow, except it is 60". I like a high grip and a small riser. Good luck with your quest to build a popular bow.
Posts: 207 | From: La Luz, NM | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you plan to make just one model : a 50's style recurve 60" would probably fit most if you offer some custom grip features as well. With a good limb design it could handle fairly up to 31" DL plus you could offer 2 piece TD possibilities for those who want a TD bow using locket socket or sleeve.
For those willing more mass you can offer option to built the riser in G10 to get heavier bow. Designing the limbs semi static rather than the classic full working limb could be a way to make something different of what others 50's style recurve bowyers are usually offering yet performing and very stable torsionally and vertically (enhancing accuracy)

--------------------
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Posts: 536 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, all my favorites are my older Bear bows, Grizzly, Kodiak Hunter, Super K (and a Tamerlane; not for hunting!) The one with the most consistency is the Grizzly at 58"...but the grip could be more contoured and comfortable, for sure.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 597 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil
Contributor 2017
Member # 1363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil   Author's Homepage   Email Gil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deflex riser,

--------------------
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Posts: 893 | From: Odessa, TX | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosierarcher88
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosierarcher88   Email Hoosierarcher88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double post for some reason

--------------------
Crooked stic Hyperstic 62" 50#
Bear grizzly 40#
Great Northern Shadow 64" 55#

Posts: 134 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bud B.:
High wrist 60s style similar to the Kodiak Hunter profile, but in 60". Extra curved tips to eliminate that stacking.

The KHunter was made in 60"; the 70's greenies for example. I want one with AFC - automatic form compensation!

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 989 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkhunter45
Contributor 2015
Member # 35307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkhunter45   Email elkhunter45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I would like to put in a plug for maybe a longer recurve. I've heard many guys that would like something in the order of a 64" bow in the style of the Bear 59-60 Kodiak. Maybe a 62" one would be unique. I draw 28" and I used a 58" bow many years ago, but I have shot 60" plus for 20 years now.

--------------------
1975 Bear Kodiak Hunter 50#@28

Posts: 191 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prefer larger brace heights on shorter recurves.

Most shorter designs, with higher BH's, that i have worked with were personally more amicable.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6491 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dbd870:
quote:
Originally posted by Bud B.:
High wrist 60s style similar to the Kodiak Hunter profile, but in 60". Extra curved tips to eliminate that stacking.

The KHunter was made in 60"; the 70's greenies for example. I want one with AFC - automatic form compensation!
But the first year (1967.5) was 58".

[Smile]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7285 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, Mike mentions designing/building a 56" or 58". I prefer 60" for more smoothness in drawing to anchor.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7285 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this Chek-Mate Attila on the classifieds last year. It is no longer made but embodies many of the features others have already mentioned for a no frills hunting recurve. I draw 26" on this 56" so can't comment on smoothness of a longer draw but maybe other lengths to accommodate longer draws and cosmetic options for those that like to dress up their bows would help make it more popular. A two piece option would please those that may be traveling.

-

-

-

Posts: 222 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Mecredy
SPONSOR
Member # 8133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mecredy   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Mecredy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like some responses are pointing toward a long recurve, 60" plus, and 2 piece.

--------------------
-Maddog
TGMM Family of the bow

Maddog Archery
USAF, Retired
Minidoka Bowmen
A.C.B.C.S.

Posts: 2367 | From: Pahrump Nevada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUCKY
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCKY   Email BUCKY   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50's style like the Great Northern Ghost
Posts: 1297 | From: NEW JERSEY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Whittler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Whittler   Email The Whittler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my opinion but why copie someone else's designs. You as a bowyer should be able to design a recurve that has what you consider in a great bow. Good luck and let us know.
Posts: 3223 | From: Northern Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©