3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.
mangonboat
Contributor 2015
Member # 42303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mangonboat   Email mangonboat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been some really good 56-58" recurves. I shoot bows 52-72 inches, so I know there is not a best length, only good designs suited to their lengths. The best 55-58" recurves I've shot all have good mass concentrated in a shortish riser and limbs with plenty of curl and not too much width in the last half of the limbs. Short risers seem to imply high wrist grip, but that's not an automatic. I favor a medium grip. The Howatt Diablo and High Speed and Wing Red Wing Hunter are good examples. The Bear Grizzly is nearly indestructible but made some compromises for that durability. I have a 3 pc TD that is 58" that is my best shooting hunting bow because it has all of these same characteristics.

--------------------
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Posts: 904 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shreffler
2017 Contributor
Member # 39431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shreffler   Email shreffler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of great input here already. My 2 cents:

Short, heavy riser is a must for me in a recurve. Points super well and is steady in the hand. 58" or 60" is my sweet spot, but of course that is different for everyone.

I like a low wrist grip and a radiused shelf.

Takedown is a plus, and although I've never seen/heard of a 2 piece takedown recurve I think it'd be fantastic. It would add weight to the riser, and still allow portability. The cost however would obviously be higher than your standard "no frills, cheap hunting bow", so perhaps that's just an add on option if you're considering it.

I think you've got lots of "proof of concept" in the Prairie Predator line...take what you were successful with in that (very affordable, great performance, ability to customize, attractive strung profile), put those same factors into a recurve however you see fit, and you should see that same success.

Looking forward to what you come up with...good luck Mike!

--------------------
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Posts: 641 | From: Warren, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosierarcher88
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosierarcher88   Email Hoosierarcher88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot a 64" great northern shadow(50's style recurve with rather narrow limbs) and much prefer the grip style and streamline riser. If i could get a 56-58" bow with a similar feel and profile id jump on it right away

--------------------
Crooked stic Hyperstic 62" 50#
Bear grizzly 40#
Great Northern Shadow 64" 55#

Posts: 134 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mass weight in the riser

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6490 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Mecredy
SPONSOR
Member # 8133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mecredy   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Mecredy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To The Whittler, that's the idea of asking for opinions, I don't want to copy another's design, it's not something I do, that would be easy. Rather, I'd like to get as much input and try to come up with something that will have as much appeal to a broad spectrum of bow hunters as possible. Designing a bow isn't as easy as one might think, especially a recurve.

--------------------
-Maddog
TGMM Family of the bow

Maddog Archery
USAF, Retired
Minidoka Bowmen
A.C.B.C.S.

Posts: 2367 | From: Pahrump Nevada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JusAGuy
Member # 46204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JusAGuy   Email JusAGuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
..... Designing a bow isn't as easy as one might think, especially a recurve.

And that is 1 of the big 3 in quality manufacturing....excellence in design, craftsmanship and materials. If one of those is missing the product is doomed.

To me, a design is a lot like making a pizza. Some folks like a thin crust - others like a thick one and some like one in the middle - just right.

After that, specific tastes begin to take over.... Some folks love anchovies - some folks hate 'em.

For me, and i'm pretty new to traditional archery, but have determined i most prefer a 3-piece take down recurve - with the limbs on the side facing away from me (opposite Black Widow's bows - ugh....anchovies to me!!!).

I do like the exceptionally curved "static" limb tips like Dryad's ACS limbs or Border Archery's Hex limbs.

I also really like the look of "footed"(?) risers - maybe called a flare?

Anyway, there are many recurve designs which are so very similar, but are very appealing to the masses.

Other bow types are nice (longbows, horse/mounted cavalry bows, etc) - if you like them.

You make a very nice longbow and i'm confident your bowyer skills will produce a quality bow.

I wonder if the design needs to come from what you like about recurves?

Make what you love and love what you make!

Sorry, i am verbose.

--------------------
"silence is greater than the absence of noise."
G. Maloney, SJ

Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+60lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstring
BCY X ("Fast Flight")

Posts: 69 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bud B.:
quote:
Originally posted by dbd870:
quote:
High wrist 60s style similar to the Kodiak Hunter profile, but in 60". Extra curved tips to eliminate that stacking.

The KHunter was made in 60"; the 70's greenies for example. I want one with AFC - automatic form compensation!
But the first year (1967.5) was 58".

[Smile]

My point was you don't have to wish - they exist.

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 989 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That pic of the Check Mate Atilla pretty much embodies everything I like in a recurve. The Bear Grizzly has similar lines.

I like simple profiles without horns, bumps, thumb rests, etc. Same with contrasting crazy riser laminations. Some bowyers seem to go overboard and end up with a gaudy looking bow. I'd much rather see a nice piece of pretty wood than a rainbow.

The takedown feature doesn't mean much to me. I have one and only ever took it apart to install a quiver.

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1726 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
Contributor 2017
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my eye (and hands), the best example of a terrific 58" hunting bow was the Howatt Hi Speed. Powerful, works great for my 29" draw, maneuverable, easy to shoot (as well as I am able to shoot)...

Out of all the bows I have owned, from 50" Sheepeater, to 54" Thunderstick Ramhorn, to 60", 62", and 64"ers built by names you'd recognize... I think the 58" bow may be the perfect length for HUNTING... at least MY hunting!

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Posts: 1819 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
High wrist 60s style similar to the Kodiak Hunter profile, but in 60". Extra curved tips to eliminate that stacking.

The KHunter was made in 60"; the 70's greenies for example. I want one with AFC - automatic form compensation!
But the first year (1967.5) was 58".

[Smile]

My point was you don't have to wish - they exist.
But not one made by Mike at Maddog!

Heck, recurves exist, so why build one at all? The reality is, Mike makes great bows. I like his Prairie Predator and his Pup longbows. If he made a recurve that I preferred, I would buy one, like one similar to the KH in high wrist, 60", long rounded working curved tips for smooth draw well past 28". And affordable, like the rest of Mike's bows.

I have four Kodiak Hunters. Since Bear no longer makes them, it would be great to see a newly made similar version, but not a clone. Especially one with a nicely radiused shelf. Most KHs have flat shelves. Great for elevated rests, but no so good shooting off the shelf.

Looking forward to what you come up with, Mike. Very much so.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7282 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstick   Email Blackstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you what I don't like in a bow. It's a grip with sharp back corners like the new Bear Super Kodiak. Just horrible and I'm a Bear fan. [Mad]
Posts: 503 | From: NE Indiana | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go with captin Kirk on the old bear designs. I like a full working limb that is not got a ton of hook. I had a Attila at one time. Got too heavy for me but a very good design.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3125 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boneyard Bowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boneyard Bowhunter   Email Boneyard Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The simple designs from the past is what most guys and gals I know seem to like. Pearson Deer slayer,
Howatt Bandito ect.

--------------------
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Posts: 195 | From: Port Crane NY. | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only 58" bow I've been able to shoot well is a Browning Cobra II drawn to 29.5". but it is 44#'s. I've owned/shot Bears,Howatts,Pearson and prefer a heavier riser in 62-64" these days.But static tips in a shorter bow might give the smoothness we all crave.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 3039 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
[QB] That pic of the Check Mate Atilla pretty much embodies everything I like in a recurve. The Bear Grizzly has similar lines.

Here is the visual comparison alluded to of the 56" Attila and a 58" early 70's Grizzly.

-

Posts: 222 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©