INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Steven "memo" Dimitrakellis

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Wet feather

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wet feather
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessebeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Jessebeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Guys,

This weekend I got caught in an unexpected rainstorm and my feathers got soaked. Do I just let them dry out and they will be fine? Or are they ruined?

--------------------
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Posts: 101 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will dry out.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 584 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil
Contributor 2017
Member # 1363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil   Author's Homepage   Email Gil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they dry out crumpled, use steam to fluff them back to shape

--------------------
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Posts: 889 | From: Odessa, TX | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I get home I take a paper towel and pinch the feather between the paper towel and then form the feathers

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2115 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Cook
Contributor 2017
Member # 20751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Cook   Email J. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll dry out and be fine. They may not look perfect, but they'll function. Even with steam I've never been able to get them back to perfect - BUT, close to it and functional.

--------------------
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Posts: 1156 | From: Kannapolis, NC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Whittler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Whittler   Email The Whittler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just run my fingers down the feathers (like pinching them) to fluff them out. Shake them out and let dry then when you start shooting them all will be fine.
Posts: 3211 | From: Northern Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've dried feathers with the heater in the truck during the day after a morning rainstorm. put it on high and out the panel vent. spin the feathers and let the air fluff them. Works great.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9285 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Casto Jr
Contributor 2014
Member # 3606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Casto Jr   Email Jim Casto Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kiwi Camp Dry silicone spray makes for good prevention.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot."
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything." Al Cole

Posts: 1189 | From: WV | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessebeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Jessebeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! Steaming instructions?

--------------------
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Posts: 101 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tea kettle on high, work feathers through the steam until they go back to shape on their own.
Let dry.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9285 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Thanks!

--------------------
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shake them out. Once flattened, even with steam, it's tough to get them back to their original look. My suggestion to you, before they ever get wet, spray them with No Snow. Water will bead right up, a few shakes and you're good to go. Great stuff.
Posts: 1360 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©