3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Recommended 2 blade broadheads (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Recommended 2 blade broadheads
Ari_Bonn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright so i've decided that I am going to go with a 2 blade 150 gr with 1916 shafts.

Bow is a high performance recurve that is 41# at my draw of 27".

What would you guys recommend for 2 blades in the 150ish gr category, more pointy less tanto tips.

Posts: 189 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuperK
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperK   Email SuperK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Zwickey Eskilite with a long "Sweetland" aluminum adapter weighs around 145 grains. An Ace Standard 125 grain with a short 25 grain aluminum adapter will get you at 150 grains also. If you don't want to mess with all that, a Magnus Stinger can be had in 150 grains. I'm sure there are many more, these just came to mind.

--------------------
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Posts: 1439 | From: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander Traditional
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander Traditional   Email Alexander Traditional   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're looking for a screw in go with a magnus stinger or buzzcut
Posts: 2421 | From: TX | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soap creek
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 20203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soap creek   Email soap creek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a fan of Zwickey Eskimos 125gr. Depends on the arrows I'm using, some times I use a long alum insert and other times a 100gr steel insert. Been using them for over 30 yrs. I've tried other heads but always seem to come back to Zwickeys. Easy to sharpen, good flight, and not to expensive.

--------------------
(Rom. 10:13)

Posts: 642 | From: S.E. Iowa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark Willoughby
Contributor 2017
Member # 42619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark Willoughby   Email mark Willoughby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to beat a stinger

--------------------
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 927 | From: kentucky | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FerretWYO
Admin
Member # 13052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FerretWYO   Email FerretWYO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at Cutthroats from RMSgear. They are a great head.

As mentioned above you cant go wrong with the stinger either. I would not recommend the buzzcut though.

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow

Posts: 6402 | From: Cheyenne Wy | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schmidty3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Schmidty3   Email Schmidty3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im curious FerretWYO...

Can you explain your aversion to the buzzcut?

Posts: 213 | From: Dallas, tx | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with the two blade stinger. I use grizzlies and really like them but those stingers are fool proof and because they have a more cut on contact tip they will out penetrate many others.
The magnus stinger has a lot of pluses for the newbie: they come razor sharp, might be the best flying head available, basically you can screw them in and hunt with them without worrying about much.
To resharpen them simply touch them up on the wheel or Accu sharp.

Posts: 2584 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kromer
Member # 44858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kromer   Email Kromer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double bevel- Magnus Stinger. Single bevel- Grizzly. Both have performed without fail for me.
Posts: 84 | From: MN | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very sharp one.......Ace, Eskimo, Magnus, and a host of others.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15953 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just playing around with some 190 Ribtecs. The design of those tends to give them a clockwise turn going into my deer target. So I put a few on some right wing fletched arrows and sharpened them with the Tom Mussato method using a file with two safety edges which allows a single file teeth cutting row of serration teeth and I leaned the the serration to cut into that same clockwise rotation. I am going to shoot a deer with those. if they can kill a deer a good as they killed my deer target, they will work.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5940 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethan Johnson
Member # 44355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ethan Johnson   Email Ethan Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the Magnus Stingers. I've had great success with them.

--------------------
Focus and release

Posts: 11 | From: Forsyth Georgia USA | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevinK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK   Email KevinK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some really good suggestions above, except maybe the Stinger Buzzcut (explanation later). I think the better choice, if you are new and aren't sure about sharpening are the Stinger 150 grain, 2 blade (not buzzcut).

Schmidty3, here is the explanation, it is not mine as I am no expert. From "The Archery Bible" by Fred Bear page 73, right column, second paragraph:
"Serrated and sawtooth edges on a broadhead should be avoided. While they look wicked, actually the teeth fill with hair, tallow and tissue and thus impede clean cutting and penetration"

Others use them and say they produce good results though. FWIW Fred Bear also said to use 4-blade heads and stay away from 2 blades on the opposite page so YMMV.

--------------------
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Posts: 135 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Finley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Finley   Email Tim Finley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't use two blades but if I did I would use a Simmons Tiger Shark . Not to hard to sharpen, 145 grains, flies great and cuts a pretty wide slot !
Posts: 505 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarrinG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarrinG   Email DarrinG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For someone who wants a sharp "out of the pack" head, the Stinger is tough to beat. If you have any sharpening skills at all, I'd go with the time-tested, time-proven Zwickeys. I cant quite understand guys buying heads that cost 2-3-4 times as much as the proven Zwickey. Then again, different strokes for different folks as they say.

--------------------
Mark 1:17

Posts: 274 | From: Western NC | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©