3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Tom Jenkins

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Plastic vanes.... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Plastic vanes....
motorhead7963
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motorhead7963   Email motorhead7963   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got a set of arrows with 4" vanes that I shoot off the shelf out of my longbow and a couple recurves. They are absolutely silent in flight.
Posts: 456 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
Contributor 2017
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my shooting buddies shoots 4-inch vanes off the shelf with great results. The veins are quite soft. I can't remember the name, but he indicated they were rather old.
Posts: 8568 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, I have around a thousand Plasti fletch vanes from the 60's if you want to try some I will send some off. these were used by tournament archers back in the day. Problem is they are stiff and the longest I have are around 2.5 inches long and they have to be straight fletched BUT they were used by many archers.PM an address if you want to try some. I have some around 1.5 inches long also. Again these are not the soft kind but very stiff.

These are left overs from my dads archery shop.

Posts: 2893 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntryx
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntryx   Email huntryx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started experimenting with vanes when feather prices started to climb a few years ago. I like Blazer vanes for their ease of application, replacement and the fact that I can actually get them to fly off the shelf of my bows with the addition of a longish sealskin rest since they are so short. Although I can't really see what is happening, I suspect that the arrow fishtails away from the shelf just in time to avoid hitting it. Sealskin may cushion it a bit. If you fiddle with it, it will fly, maybe a little faster and quieter than a feather.

PS nothing replaces feathers aesthetically....

--------------------
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2511 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
Contributor 2017
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone , I'm stuck in Houston working so haven't got to look at this. When I get home I will start working on a set-up..

,,,,Sam,,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2465 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2017
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have shot vanes off the shelf by just shooting cock feather in. It worked very well for me.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15639 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevinK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK   Email KevinK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a rainy day bow that I tuned arrows with plastic vanes for. Mine are 4" predator duravane style and I have a brush style rest. They fly great this way. I tried off the shelf as other have said they were able to do this but I didn't have that result. The shelf my arrows flew like a deflating balloon and I didn't even attempt broadheads. My 2 major issues with this bow is: 1) the vanes are much heavier that feathers, approximately 12 grains each. They seemed to make the arrow act stiffer and I am using a spine weaker than I normally would (not that big of a deal as long as it tunes) 2) When I switch between this bow and my other bows the bow with the rest seems to shoot very high. Probably mental or I just need to spend more time with that bow. Just my experience.

--------------------
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Posts: 128 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone Knife
Contributor 2015
Member # 10014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stone Knife   Email Stone Knife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have off a flipper rest ,they fly good

--------------------
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Posts: 6941 | From: silversprings ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
Contributor 2017
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot the Bear Weather rest and love it. I can pretty much shoot any vane or feather off it. Bareshaft tuning seems to go a whole lot smoother to.
Big Ed

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 6928 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinecrest
Member # 15937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinecrest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just switched from feathers to 3,4 " Marco vanes shot off a Hoyt Super Hunter rest and plunger.Had to go down one spine size due to the added weight of the vanes.I couldn't be more pleased though,an a ll around better setup for me.
Posts: 69 | From: Northern Wisc. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I treat my feathers with Never Wet outdoor fabric treatment from Rust-Oleum. Works great for weather I'll hunt in, if I was going to Alaska or Western Washington or similar, I'd probably try figuring out the vanes!

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2130 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulysseys
Contributor 2017
Member # 11263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulysseys   Email Ulysseys   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put a bear weather rest on my Widow recently and tuned 5" helicaled vanes. They fly right with my feathers and will now be my go to arrow set up from that bow. I also saw no difference in broadhead flight or accuracy.

--------------------
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Posts: 953 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JDunlap
Contributor 2015
Member # 28003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDunlap   Email JDunlap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone use them on wood arrows? thanks

--------------------
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 56@28
RER LX LB 60@28 and 53@28

Posts: 558 | From: Glenpool, Ok | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
Contributor 2017
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did vanes on woods years ago for my son. He wanted what we call "stumpers" these days. His bow had a raised rest so there were no issues with flight. I used a straight clamp on my Blitz and offset it a little. I did seal the shafts with clear Fletch Laq so I would not have issues using Fletch Tite glue. Theses days I would use a water based sealer and Fletch using Saunders NPV glue.
Posts: 2148 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Breathn
Contributor 2017
Member # 43585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breathn   Email Breathn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get caught in the rain all the time..so I always make sure I tune a vane setup .I'm shooting vanetec swifts 3.125 long and they fly like lasers
Posts: 167 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©