3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Blunts vs broadheads for squirrel (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blunts vs broadheads for squirrel
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone, that settles it for me. I won't worry about changing up my arrows. I'll just leave them as I will have them for deer and use them as is. But take a file with me for in field touch ups. I figured they were tough little buggers since I've watcheed them fall 40-50' from a tree, bounce off a log, and go running off. might save my fluflus for winter time bunnies and maybe doves if they cooperate. And just put my more worn out broadheads on them.

Thanks,
Kyle

Posts: 71 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevinK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK   Email KevinK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Judo points or blunts with a tiger claw. I've gotten many with a compound and my first with a trad bow this year. Even with a 60# compound the arrow stays stuck in the squirrel and doesn't pass through. Everyone of them ran a few yards (rib shots). Longest was maybe 10 but the arrow was heavily embedded so he was unable to run far. These are Georgia grey squirrels though, not monster fox squirrels so YMMV. I don't feel safe shooting broadheads up into a tree and I also shoot squirrels in my yard with other houses close by so those are other reasons for small game heads for me.

--------------------
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Posts: 128 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Squirrels will dodge flu flus often.

I've killed them with a plain blunt or .38 but had a few get away also. Now I use a short screw or a piece of banding steel in my .38 blunt. enough to get you through the hide. I wouldn't go shooting broadheads up in the trees myself.

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 888 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
batbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 45784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for batbow   Email batbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently your eastern squirrels are a lot tougher than our ground squirrels.
I have had good luck with both rubber blunts and the steel hammer blunts.
45 lb bow and a solid hit there lights are out!
Have also shot them with field points and a G5 claw looking thing they call a small game head, neither have worked as well as the blunts.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 56 28@28
Black River 60 45@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Jon Gharing 60 50@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Posts: 74 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never hit one so I can't say which is best! [laughing]

--------------------
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 1964 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have pointed out that when I used flu-flus my stash of free three blades was better. I found if a flu flu was good at slowing down, it was also good at having no striking force. For pheasants an aggressive flu flu will not work most of the time even with broadheads. That is one of the advantages of having cheaper to assemble cedar arrows for small game, even going as far as cutting feathers off of broken arrows, you can afford to lose a few.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5793 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Turner
Contributor 2017
Member # 2264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Turner   Email Bill Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer dead squirrels, so broad heads with a backer are used by me. Squirrels are tough little critters for sure. [campfire]
Posts: 3983 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are hungry......best use broadheads.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30613 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander Traditional
Contributor 2017
Member # 35858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander Traditional   Email Alexander Traditional   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen .22's that have a hard time with them. I use broadheads on squirrels and jack rabbits. They are tough critters.
Posts: 2382 | From: TX | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've killed all of mine with blunts, but if I had some older heads, I would go with broadheads.
I'll definitely agree that squirrels are tough. I work at a golf course and today I ran over one with a lawn mower. It came out of nowhere and ran straight under the deck, then out the other side! I'm thinking that's more lucky than tough though LOL.

Posts: 427 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarrinG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarrinG   Email DarrinG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use old broadheads. I shot one 2 years ago with a hex head and knocked that joker 15 feet off a rotten stump and he hit the ground running never to be seen again. [Frown]

--------------------
Mark 1:17

Posts: 236 | From: Western NC | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fnshtr
Contributor 2017
Member # 18653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fnshtr   Email fnshtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://imgur.com/a/cUx42

Blunts and head shots have worked well for me. Flu-flus for tree shots.

--------------------
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Posts: 2612 | From: Rockport West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longtoke
Contributor 2017
Member # 43977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longtoke   Email Longtoke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone try the small game thumpers on them? I'm thinking that would be about the best blunt a person could use.

--------------------
Pika t/d 54"
Prairie Predator 60"
1961 kodiak 60"

Posts: 979 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fnshtr
Contributor 2017
Member # 18653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fnshtr   Email fnshtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Longtoke:
Anyone try the small game thumpers on them? I'm thinking that would be about the best blunt a person could use.

That is precisely what I use.

--------------------
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Posts: 2612 | From: Rockport West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The black lines are so my wife can check my draw span. I could put in a longer bolt and sharpen the whole thing up, but the wife says 'NO SQUIRRELS'. So these will be for doves, rabbits and sharpened ones for pheasants. For spine consideration I left these a little bit longer than my normal arrows, they fly like they are on a wire out of my new white glass 'sunset'.  -

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5793 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©