3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Blunts vs broadheads for squirrel (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blunts vs broadheads for squirrel
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, the other end of my cedar shoot away dozen. I test shot the bunch, all good. Less than $45 for the whole dozen, cheap feathers, finish, blunty points and nocks included.
 -

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5793 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're on a diet shoot blunts if you're hungry shoot broadheads

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30613 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander Traditional
Contributor 2017
Member # 35858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander Traditional   Email Alexander Traditional   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to post pictures anymore,but I shot a jack rabbit yesterday with a tree shark,and it didn't die right away. I think squirrels are tougher than rabbits.
Posts: 2382 | From: TX | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot one with a G 5 SGH (small game head) out of a 50 lb longbow. head shot at about 12 yards. he fell to the ground. shook it off and went right back up the tree. I shot him again with a ribtec at about the same distance and the arrow didn't pass all the way through. I got the squirrel and both arrows back though.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 552 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Carlsen
Contributor 2017
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Carlsen   Email Bill Carlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can attach a carving knife to the front of your arrows you'de be in good shape.

--------------------
The best things in life....aren't things!

Posts: 5245 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only shot one squirrel with a bow. He was hit square through the ribs with a field point. He chewed all the way through that arrow. I had to finish him off with a stick. That kind of killed my desire to hunt squirrels with a bow.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4692 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had really good luck using nutters. They won't die, unless hit in the head, but they are knocked ****less. I pick them up and finish it with my hawk (skwerl against tree). I lost one this way so far. It was a superficial hit. I was using bows a fair bit heavier than 50# and regular arrows though, so that may change things up a bit.
Posts: 7243 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Gille
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Gille   Email Jerry Gille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ever get serious about bowhunting squirrels then you'll only use something that cuts. You'll get tired of losing squirrels with blunts and you'll lose a fair share with cutting heads too. Any marginal hit outside of the head/neck/chest will be a problem. Having the arrow remain in the squirrel while sticking out of both sides significantly increases your chances of recovering that squirrel.
Posts: 202 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you guys actually shoot bladed points at skwerls up in a tree ? That is 100% why I use nutters. I shoot at them where I see them. They work well enough for me. If you hit a deer in the hind end you likely won't recover that one either.
Posts: 7243 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodchucker
Contributor 2017
Member # 2822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodchucker   Email woodchucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot all my squirrels with Zwickeys, and on the ground!
Squirrels actually spend more time on the ground, than in trees. The tree is their "safety zone"... They are easier to hit on the ground AND it's easier to find your arrows!

--------------------
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 5510 | From: Dutchess Co. New York | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Gille
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Gille   Email Jerry Gille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have bowhunted squirrels 27 times since the Illinois opener on August 1 - after work almost every night on public and private ground. I have yet to take a shot at a squirrel on the ground this season. That will change as the mast drops but is definitely not the case in the early part of the season. I do not hesitate to take a shot in a tree as I don't hunt anywhere where that arrow dropping is a concern. I lose or break close to 200 arrows a year chasing squirrels and won't even bother looking for them unless I see them fall right next to me. My gear has been designed for this style of hunting.

If you are not concerned about where the arrow drops and not concerned about losing the arrow, why wouldn't you shoot up in a tree? If you are concerned about such things then squirrel hunting might not be much fun for you.

Posts: 202 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly said on your first post, Jerry Gille!

Serious Squirrel Bowhunter!

Posts: 2317 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe squirrel was Mr. Jerry Pierce's favorite animal to hunt with a bow. He would cut a notch in a field point and epoxy injector razor blades--no telling now many squirrels he killed. The only one I've killed with a bow and arrow was taken with an Ace Hex-Head blunt (perfect double lung..squirrel was DRT)...that being said, I won't even hunt rabbits with anything other than broadheads or at least a small game head with blades.

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6071 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good heads for squirrels

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 4954 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next to last, from left to right, was Mr. Jerry's preferred squirrel medicine. I've got a few of them around here somewhere...

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6071 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©