3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Blunts vs broadheads for squirrel (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blunts vs broadheads for squirrel
Squirrel Hunter
Member # 43697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squirrel Hunter   Email Squirrel Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've shot a lot of squirrels over the years with a lot of different heads. I've been disappointed in the results from some blunts, but I have never, ever, lost a squirrel hit with an HTM rubber blunt on a moderately heavy (550 gr or more) wooden arrow. Another benefit is that they bounce off, rather stick in, trees. They are all I have used for the past 10 years or so. Mostly I use a 60lb longbow, but I think they would still work well with lighter equipment.

Broadheads always work. I've never used field points but have an experienced squirrel hunting friend who loves them.

Posts: 7 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2017
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RIVERWOLF:
Squirrels ain't nothin' but a ball of muscle wrapped in buffalo hide !

That's been my experience. While I've had mixed results with various blunts/hammers/small game heads, I haven't lost one I hit with a broadhead yet. I have lost a couple of broadheads though...

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 2035 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hit squirrels in the butt with HTMs that did not seem phased at all. I have been hunting squirrels and bunnies and pheasants with bows since I was in grade school, I have killed a lot of game with blunts, HTMs and bludgeons. I have killed quite a few with free three blade broadheads as well. We cut notches into the hi-precision heads to make them more effective on small game. The vitals on small game are small. We occasionally lost game hit with sharpened broadheads. 9/16" blunts are legal for turkeys in Iowa, I think other states as well, I had extreme doubts about this, so I called to get to the bottom of their reasoning. The person that I talked to had stats of the testing and lots of information. He was very insistent on its effectiveness. Crossing over from his logic with large blunts to squirrel hits. You hit a squirrel in the butt with an HTM you may give it a bad day, but he will live to tell about it. Change that hit so something more than a glancing butt hit, the squirrel is dead. Make that glancing butt hit a sharpened broadhead, you are still not going to stop the squirrel, but you have given that squirrel much more than just a bad experience, more than likely a life ending gash. Was it Saxton Pope that wrote that the shocking power of a blunt seemed more effective than a broadhead on small game? It will always be part of the game, you still need to hit them right for the cleanest possible kill. Saying all of this, I did get another free six hi-precision heads this week. I hope to get a pheasant or two with them.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5793 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zbone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zbone   Email Zbone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally concur with Squirrel Hunter and rubber blunts... Have killed squirrels with Judo points, field points, and broadheads and all needed a chase to pursue... So far I've only managed to hit one with a rubber blunted flu-flu, hit him in the chest and killed him graveyard dead, barely even kicked... I was shocked and impressed... I now carry a rubber blunted flu-flu all times afield...
Posts: 1115 | From: Tuscarawas County, Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All "squirrels" across the country are not created equal.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11281 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All "squirrels" across the country are not created equal.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11281 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Charlie. Our greys here will laugh off rubber blunt. May as well spit at them.

Ball of muscle wrapped in a buffalo hide...yup!

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 888 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Sir!
Posts: 2317 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have the toughest meanest biggest and smartest squirrels in the country here, the mighty fox squirrel. They laugh at danger. I asked my son how many squirrels he shot on the Hughes farm the year that we lost our extra doe tags and he decided to lengthen his hunting time by not filling his deer tag early. He said, 18 squirrels 5 rabbits. I asked him how many he hit and not recover, "None, that's a stupid question. You have a new squirrel point you want me to try? I'm going after wood cock this year." He used steel blunts for some and Saunders bludgeon screw ins for the rest.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5793 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©