3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Book recommendations (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Book recommendations
Jackrhendricks
Member # 44749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackrhendricks   Email Jackrhendricks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any big readers here? I generally read during the mid day lull and I'd love to hear any recommendations ya'll have.

[ September 18, 2017, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Tony Van Dort ]

Posts: 20 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading Hunting the Hard Way by Howard Hill and find it very interesting. It is mostly a collection of some of his most memorable hunts with each chapter dedicated to a new animal. It reads with a great voice, almost like your sitting around a campfire swapping stories with him.

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - 225gr up front for 22% FOC

Posts: 1376 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm about halfway through my 3rd reading of BAREBOW by Dennis Dunn. It's a great read.
Posts: 468 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just Another Old Bowhunter, Kidwell
A Man Made of Elk, Peterson
A Sand Country Almanac, Leopold
Bows on the Little Delta, St Charles
Witchery of Archery, Thompson
The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America, O'Connor
The Adventurous Bowmen, Pope
Hunting with the Bow and Arrow, Pope
Lions in the Path, White
Ishi in Two Worlds, Kroeber
A Thousand Campfires, Massey
The Grey Goose Wing, Heath
Toxicated, Anderson
Once Upon a Tine, Wensel
Longbow, Campbell
Longbow Country, Thomas
Traditional Archery in Six Continents, Grayson
Sagittarius, Swinehart

No particular order. Just reading across the shelf some titles of books I have enjoyed reading in the past.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4204 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My book, "A Bowhunters Tales" is now available on Amazon.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11319 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWill
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWill   Email EWill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
witchery of archery, Thompson
Now,by Ashby
Modern Bowhunting by Hiram J. Grogan. This book was written in 1958 so the "modern" was all longbows.
Toxophilus in Arcadia, Thompson
Rivers to run,Larry Dablemont
A personal favorite is How sportsmen saved the world, E.Donall Thomas
Hamlet and Macbeth, Shakespeare

--------------------
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Posts: 143 | From: Bartlesville, OK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traditional bowhunting by clay hays. I just got a copy and read it in a weekend.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 573 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything by Jay Massey

--------------------
“The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” James Madison

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 933 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackrhendricks
Member # 44749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackrhendricks   Email Jackrhendricks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy smokes! Ya'll really came through! I have quite the list now.
Posts: 20 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For hunting specifically, anything by David Petersen.

hunting, outdoors or nature related:
x2 on Kroeber (Ishi)
Wendell Berry -- The Unsettling of America, others
Gary Snider -- The Practice of the Wild, others
Paul Shepard -- Coming Home to the Pleistocene
Daniel Quinn -- Ishmael
Edward Abbey -- Desert Solitaire
Jon Young -- What the Robin Knows
Jon Young, Tiffany Morgan -- Animal Tracking
Traditional Bowyer's Bible -- all
Paul Kingsnorth -- Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist

Most of those are ones I've read or re-read in the last year or so. So they're more top-of-mind but I'm sure there are others I can't think of at the moment. Those are the ones that are at least somewhat related to hunting, archery & the outdoors.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 616 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodchucker
Contributor 2017
Member # 2822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodchucker   Email woodchucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred Bear's Field Notes, by Fred Bear
I Remember Papa Bear, by Dick Lattimer

--------------------
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 5605 | From: Dutchess Co. New York | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books on Audible are a fun way to "read" while driving to/from hunting spots. I have 2 hours each way to kill and I get sleepy fast in cars -- always have. Books keep me awake and I can finish a short one in the 4 hours a single trip requires.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 616 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scrub_buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrub_buck   Email Scrub_buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At First Light, by Sandy Harris. Awesome read! Look for it on Amazon.
Posts: 382 | From: Wetumpka, Alabama | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasKing
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasKing   Email TexasKing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any of Don Thomas's books are must reads for trad hunters

If you enjoy Hemingway, not hunting, but For Whim the Bell Tolls is a must

Posts: 210 | From: Dallas Texas | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Birdbow
Contributor 2014
Member # 21586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birdbow   Email Birdbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sleeper is Jim Hamm's 'Ishi and Elvis'. Story of recovering a 'goated' TX ranch, building a self-bow, and a very big buck...

--------------------
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Posts: 621 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©