3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Need help deciding core wood (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Need help deciding core wood
Danny Rowan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of the smoothest bows I ever owned were Brackenbury Quests. One had vertically laminated wenge cores and the other vertically laminated walnut cores. All of my Schafers are actionwood cores and are smooth as silk.

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993

Posts: 7871 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Mecredy
SPONSOR
Member # 8133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mecredy   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Mecredy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found elm (red elm as well as American elm) is the best in performance and durability, followed closely by walnut. On one of the things about bamboo is the limbs have to be thicker than limbs with wood cores. It still makes for good limbs if you don't mind the extra thickness, most people don't.

The other ones you mentioned are pretty much equal.

--------------------
-Maddog
TGMM Family of the bow

Maddog Archery
USAF, Retired
Minidoka Bowmen
A.C.B.C.S.

Posts: 2367 | From: Pahrump Nevada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yaderehey
Contributor 2017
Member # 18487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yaderehey   Email yaderehey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd follow Mikes advise...
Posts: 508 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering when someone was going to suggest red elm!

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Northern Mist Baraga , Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 619 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curlis
Contributor 2017
Member # 9765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlis   Email curlis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like bamboo. I also like Osage.

--------------------
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Posts: 995 | From: Monroe, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Tracks
SPONSOR
Member # 19120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Tracks   Email Two Tracks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like most of the woods listed. Some I like better for short bows, some I like better for longer bows. I do think its more about design and build.
Danny, Its funny you mention the laminated hardwoods. I just carried a literal ton of wood into the shop, and I am trying to decide how I am going to use some of it. A vertical lamination panel was talked about. We'll see

--------------------
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

https://twotracksoutdoors.com/

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Posts: 5921 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Elm. Had a Dan Quillian Canebrake that has a reputation of being fast and smooth. Search/Google it and those characteristics will be prevalent. Sure, it was the result of his design but he could have used any wood and chose Red Elm to complement the design.

-

Posts: 222 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstick   Email Blackstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had two of the same identical bows. One was made with maple and the other with a bamboo core. The only difference, I thought the maple was quieter.
Posts: 503 | From: NE Indiana | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the fastest bows that I ever owned was a Dan Quillian Canebrake.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Posts: 753 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sirius Black
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sirius Black   Email Sirius Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the 90+% mentioned by The Whittler!

--------------------
Bear Kodiak - Bear Kodiak Hunter - Bear Kodiak T/D

Posts: 1291 | From: Baraboo, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
Contributor 2017
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much of it is dependent on bow design and how the cores are tapered.

I currently have bows with bamboo and red elm. All shoot sensationally and are from top level bowyers. My red elm core recurve is a screamer and very sweet to shoot.

I've always loved elm and walnut cores, they seem to be a great alternative to boo. Can't go wrong with yew either.

--------------------
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Wes Wallace Mentor
70" HHA Black Mamba #46

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7038 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdahoCurt
SPONSOR
Member # 21925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IdahoCurt   Author's Homepage   Email IdahoCurt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is so much variation in cell structure within the same species of wood it's almost impossible to give a definitive answer on this.I personally love Yew but have processed multiple sets of core lamination's in the same thickness from different boards and they will all weigh very different.
Having said that,on average raw bamboo(not actionboo) and yew seem to consistently weigh less than any other woods I've used,less mass equals a faster limb.
I doubt the difference in core woods will translate to more than a few ft/sec between them all with limb design being more of an influence on speed.
Foam gives you the most consistent results in my experience.

--------------------
www.thewoodvault.com

Posts: 503 | From: Idaho | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using quite a bit of quarter sawn walnut for cores lately and really like it. Looks good too.

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1846 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluemelonchitlin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluemelonchitlin   Email bluemelonchitlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red elm

--------------------
Revelation 3:20

Posts: 108 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riser
Member # 43315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riser   Email riser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a curious sort. I'm in the group that feels design trumps material.

What I am interested in is: material vs material at equal design.

I like hard facts to make decisions.

Are there any bowyer's or individuals who have chronographed SIMILAR design bows (same design, draw weight, same amo, same arrow etc), HAVING DIFFERENT LIMB MATERIAL ( ie bamboo vs elm vs maple vs "limb material of choice")?

Real chrono data requested. Anyone?

--------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 94 | From: Maine | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©