3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » A mule deer hunt turned lion hunt (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A mule deer hunt turned lion hunt
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After talking with a few friends and wildlife officials I have decided to go ahead and post this. Tradgang will be the extent of my online posting. You all are a family and so many of my friends and family have urged me to post on the topic for your benefit.

6 yards of cold mountain air separated me from the mountains apex predator in milky darkness. After a continued advances of the cat and a failed effort to make the cat retreat I released an arrow which struck true at the base of the neck with the cat facing me and prepared to pounce... I heard the "thunk" of my arrow and the lion leapt into the air with a deep growl. I heard a crash a few short seconds later. Wildlife officials were contacted and confirmed my story. ...Colorado Mountain lion season is closed currently and my actions would have been highly illegal had I not been in imminent danger. To those who are venturing into the high country I would recommend carrying bear spray and or a side arm. I have carried these in the past but neglected them on this trip. Either would have most likely deterred the attack and saved the life of this beautiful animal. I am thankful to be unhurt but just as deeply remorseful of my neglect of standard wilderness safety. ... if you are ever in a similar situation with a mountain lion remember to not run! Rather, yell and make advances. If the cat attacks fight back with everything you have. Mountain lions do not like to be resisted or challenged.

.... oh, and a few days later I missed a long shot at a tremendous mule deer buck, shot right over his back. Overall it was a tremendous hunt!

Posts: 2556 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://imgur.com/jRrMBBo
quote:
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
 -

Fixed it for ya! [thumbsup]

Posts: 2556 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cudos for having the ethics and integrity to report it in the first place, I'm sure many wouldn't.
Glad your safe, bet that got your heart pumping.
I came across a large cat track here a few days ago. Makes ya stand up and look around.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 913 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man oh man, I'm glad your safe, kept your head and made good on your shot, also glad for an understanding official!

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1452 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snakebit40
Contributor 2015
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snakebit40   Email snakebit40   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[scared] Wow!!! I'm glad you're ok!!!!

--------------------
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 54@28
Toelke Pika 54@28

Posts: 1907 | From: Colby, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bucknut
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucknut   Email bucknut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a close call like that in NM a few years ago, but was able to just back out.
Posts: 562 | From: S. E. Ohio | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

quote:
Originally posted by bucknut:
I had a close call like that in NM a few years ago, but was able to just back out.

Good deal! this situation got too intimate very quickly. It's my third encounter with lions and the second close encounter.
Walt Francis
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,

Glad you came out on the right end of the encounter.

Mountain Lion and Bowhunter encounters are fairly common here in the Rocky Mountains, California, and Oregon, several of then are reported each year here in Montana. I know Barry Wensel had a similar encounter with the same results in the early 90's and I had one in 1994 detailed in the link below.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=055765#000000

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5562 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roadkill
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadkill   Email Roadkill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are people back east that believe only hunters with dogs kill lions.

--------------------
goodness of woodness, Semper Fidelis. Molon labe

Posts: 3047 | From: Nevada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Walt! I remember reading your very thread and thinking to myself how rare a situation that would be. I never thought I'd be in a very similar situation
mark Willoughby
Contributor 2017
Member # 42619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark Willoughby   Email mark Willoughby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup thank God you made it out bet you'll be toting the big iron on your hip next time " I know I would" those cats ain't no joke!!

--------------------
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 917 | From: kentucky | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turkey522
Contributor 2014
Member # 15993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turkey522   Email turkey522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad your ok thanks for sharing.
Posts: 1182 | From: Ky in Arizona | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you came out o.k. It is sad to kill an animal under these conditions, but you had no choice. You are also fortunate that the game official accepted your explanation of events.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4783 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
SPONSOR
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow lots of good decisions here.

--------------------
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it >>>---->

Posts: 9054 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cacciatore
Contributor 2017
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cacciatore   Email cacciatore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad everything went right, things can happen and you made what you had to do.

--------------------
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Posts: 9136 | From: Italy/Colorado | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©