3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Good luck NY bowhunters (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters
Skipmaster1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skipmaster1   Email Skipmaster1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday I had a few hours to hit the woods and with a south wind I headed to a spot I haven't hunted in years. The spot is a nice funnel adjacent to some power lines and covered in white oaks and beech along a tiny creek. I found a tree that would give me cover and good shooting lanes. At 5:30 I noticed two does across the woodlot and it looked as if they might circle down towards me. At 6:00 both made their way by my stand, feeding in and out of beech saplings. The bigger doe was going to pass me at 8 yards broadside. As she walked behind a tree, I drew... she stopped... I held for 10 seconds or so and she stepped out slightly quartering toward me. I knew I could slip the arrow onto where it needed to be. The shot looked perfect and I knew she wouldn't make it long. She made it 150 yards on a dead run before crashing.
Posts: 878 | From: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nashoba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nashoba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Greg! [Big Grin]
Posts: 257 | From: caledonia,ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Greg!

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1153 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgroundstalker
Contributor 2017
Member # 10420

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mcgroundstalker   Email mcgroundstalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Shooting Greg! Enjoy the cutlets... [thumbsup]

... mike ...

--------------------
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Posts: 4127 | From: new york | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats Greg

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6204 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1/4 away
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1/4 away   Email 1/4 away   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Greg! [clapper]

--------------------
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Posts: 3901 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skipmaster1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skipmaster1   Email Skipmaster1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. It was a great hunt I went out tonight and saw a few does off a ways and had a young 4 pointer walk under me. Going to try and get out tomorrow evening again.
Posts: 878 | From: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Greg.

Saturday I had seven antlerless (one an odd "double button" that may have a interesting rack in a few years). The button walked a few feet away under my stand. I could have held out my arm and dropped an arrow on him.

At two times an our apart I had a doe with twin youngins and both times the older does kept just out of range and walked back and forth along a parallel trail 60 yards west (upwind) of my stand - looking away from me. It was like they were patrolling. A pair of the fawns actually bedded 40 yards away at one point.

No real shots presented. One "iffy" 25 yard on a larger doe that I passed on. Though I was 3/4 drawn it just didn't feel right - she turned away instead of towards me and never paused. I'm a 20 yard kind of hunter.

Still hoping for one of the bucks that my trail-cam captured. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4019 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving for an evening sit shortly. Going to see what's moving this afternoon. Hope to have a bit of action but who knows. It is a beautiful day.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15814 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just woodpeckers and chipmunk races, but it was a nice 3 1/2 hour sit. Weather was beautiful.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15814 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Greg.

Ron, This is your year!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17129 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntryx
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntryx   Email huntryx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of does blew past me at around 4:30. Walked home at 6:10 to find 5 of them eating acorns under the oak on my lawn. You just have to laugh sometimes. Anyhow, the temps are a bit more cooperative and maybe we'll start seeing more deer. I agree with whoever said better a longer late season than the early October opener. Wondering what the crossbow menace will bring......

--------------------
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The Perfection of Imperfection"

Posts: 2531 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1/4 away
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1/4 away   Email 1/4 away   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sat again this morning from 6:15 to 10am without seeing a deer. Last deer I saw was opening morning when I saw 2 does with fawns. Walked out of the woods to my truck at 10am and while putting my stuff in the truck looked up and on the hill overlooking the homeowners driveway stood 3 doe looking down on me. Like huntryx said, " you just gotta laugh".

--------------------
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Posts: 3901 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NANUK
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NANUK   Email NANUK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck to y'all! Congrats to Drew, Alex, Marvin & Greg! Well Done!

--------------------
" Don't be bitter, Be better!"

Posts: 185 | From: Western New York | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntryx
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntryx   Email huntryx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More heatwave, but some movement in the AM. Mostly chipmunks during the evening sit.

--------------------
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The Perfection of Imperfection"

Posts: 2531 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©