3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Let's talk about AGING MEAT (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Let's talk about AGING MEAT
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most if us are huntin now and it sounds like we're getting a few. Let's talk about aging. What's your method?

I have a "meat fridge" in the basement that I age meat a week or so depending on age if animal.
How you do it?
Tim B

Posts: 634 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodchucker
Contributor 2017
Member # 2822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodchucker   Email woodchucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually prefer not to hunt, if the temps are too high. NY really threw us a curve ball a couple years ago, when they legalized the cross bow for the later part of the bow season. The Oct 1st opener means leaves on trees, and hard hunting for us Mountain Men. I guess it's ok if you're hunting crop fields? I usually start serious hunting around the end of Oct, early November. Temps are cooler & we can leave them hang in the tree, like we always have.

--------------------
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 5612 | From: Dutchess Co. New York | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always skin and de-bone my deer out pretty quick after harvesting it....whether it is hot or cold outside.

After that it is striaght to the fridge. I like to put it in seperate trays where each cut is seperated and not touching one another. On the second day I will take it out and rinse each cut off....along with rinsing the blood out of each tray. Then I repeat on day three.

Day four I do the final trimming...then package and freeze.

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2165 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roughrider
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roughrider   Author's Homepage   Email Roughrider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't really get a great deal of benefits from aging meat until a few weeks have passed. A cool root cellar is perfect, a refrigerator works well too.

--------------------
Dan Brockman

Posts: 179 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkDan
Contributor 2016
Member # 429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkDan   Email AkDan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont. Waste of meat doing so on most wild game! Get it cold. Cut it up!
Posts: 4025 | From: Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ksbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ksbowman   Email ksbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do it just like you and have for the last 40 years. I quarter, cut out fillets and back straps. Bag and put in my shop fridge for a week, then cut, wrap and freeze. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

--------------------
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Posts: 1877 | From: Paola,kansas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.S.TRAPPER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K.S.TRAPPER   Email K.S.TRAPPER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AkDan:
I dont. Waste of meat doing so on most wild game! Get it cold. Cut it up!

X2, I've tried it all and can't tell a bit of difference in taste or tenderness.

Tracy

--------------------
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Posts: 3341 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texbow2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texbow2   Email texbow2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2-3 days in the ice chest, adding fresh ice and draining each day.
Posts: 188 | From: georgetown, texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if I have the time I'll do it the day I get the animal. if not I put ice in the bottom of the cooler and have the meat up on top of the ice and leave it for a few days until I have time with the drain plug open.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1598 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cold out:
Let'em hang skin on or off but lately off just to get tick infested hides to the garbage.

Warm out:
Skin
Quarter
Into coolers for 7-12 days changing ice regularly and draining liquid.

This has worked beautiful for us and probably won't change it. If the big coolers are full, we will debone and do same process.

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1174 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkDan
Contributor 2016
Member # 429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkDan   Email AkDan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dumb question, but i have to ask. If you regularly age meat in coolers, or live in areas where even for folks who dont age but heat is still an issue. Why not build a insulated shed and use a Ac unit ? Cabelas sells a deal to make it a full on commercial style walk in cooler. Coolers these days are not cheap!

I always wondered why more are not modifying fridges, the shed idear makes this process even more convienient. Even for my use if i lived somewhere other than Ak, i would have one to get meat cold prior to cutting. The other benefit is it keeps quarters cold (firm) which significantly aids cutting. Drop the temp, pull out pieces as needed and get to processing. Something comes up or you need a break, youre not forced to finish no matter how hot it is!.

If you want to age a week or two or you prefer to cut once rigors set and the meats cold through. It would be a benefit to both!

Posts: 4025 | From: Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've researched over the years 36 degrees is the perfect temp for aging meat but it's almost impossible to maintain without a walk-in designed for it so hang if cold out but adjust the timing of aging to the temps you have to deal with. When too warm iced in a cooler or in a fridge as already mentioned accomplishes the same thing.
Posts: 245 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a deer fridge. All of the shelves are removed and I have metal bars cut to fit across the ledges on the side walls. I skin the deer as soon as possible, hose it off, quarter it up, and then hang the pieces in the deer fridge. I keep it at 35 degrees. I like to wait 7-10 days before I process the meat. I don't know if that's the best way but it's my way and it works for me.

I think the taste of deer meat is greatly affected by how it's handled from the time of the shot until it's packaged and in the freezer. I've ate meat from professionally butchered deer that tasted terrible. And I've processed mature bucks, 4.5 - 5.5 years old that you couldn't tell apart from a young doe by taste and tenderness.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1309 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good input boys - thanks
I feel like I'm losing meat due to it just drying out on the front quarters.
Tim B

Posts: 634 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't... Once broken down into quarters and large cuts I keep it in a fridge at 35 degrees for two days while it drains. On day 3 it is boned out, prime cuts are vacuum packed and the rest ground with some seasoned and ground for sausage. All ends up vacuum packed. Freezing breaks down the meat to some degree same as aging without the risk of hanging and a possible temperature slip up and bad meat. Sounds like me and AKDan are on the same page.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand, and my fletching is about as left-wing as I get.

Posts: 791 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©