3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Let's talk about AGING MEAT (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Let's talk about AGING MEAT
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been a proponent of aging game for nearly 40 years. I can tell a significant difference. I'm in the South...I carry ice in my truck. If I am successful, that rib cage is opened, cavity is emptied, and ice goes in as quickly as I can manage it. 36 degrees minimum of five days, after skinning, quartering and wiping down. Yes, it gets a bark on it that you have to take off like a catfish skin...but you'll never go back once you try it.

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8812 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meathead
2017 Contributor
Member # 5557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meathead   Email meathead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to let my deer hang 7-10 days hide off. I am kind of lucky though in having a friend with a walk in cooler just 3 miles up the road. It makes a noticeable difference in taste and texture.
Posts: 1137 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MnFn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MnFn   Email MnFn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, thoroughly confused now.
I have shot a lot of game (mostly with guns) over 50 years.

I never really set out to age my game, but my deer usually were field dressed immediately and hung for 3-4 days until I returned home and could cut them up. All of this assuming it was cool enough outside.

My worst tasting deer was field dressed and taken to a locker plant within a few hours on a cold November day. It stunk up the house when I cooked up the first steak.

Geese field dressed then hung for up for a few days in cold storage.

--------------------
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella" Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Posts: 2021 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CRS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will occasionally get an animal that is not good, even if everything is done right.

But you get far more bad ones if everything is done wrong. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Inquiring minds.......

Posts: 667 | From: Black Hills, SD | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skipmaster1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skipmaster1   Email Skipmaster1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year my buddy and I built an 8'x8'x8' walk in cooler. We keep it at 37 degrees and aged all of our deer 14-30 days. I think between him, another buddy and myself, we ran 18 deer through there last season. It has been by far a game changer. Every single deer had come out incredibly tender and had a mellow venison flavor. Every cut on every animal. Folks who don't usually care much for venison are have second and third helpings. I have always liked venison, but now I absolutely love it. I won't go back to non dry aged ever again if I can help it.
Posts: 878 | From: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxSportsman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 41220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxSportsman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a lot of trial and error this is the method I prefer best.

1.) Shoot the deer

2.) Methodically gut/field dress and do not remove hide

3.) If you did 2 well enough you will not need to rinse the deer with water, if not rinse body cavity thoroughly. I really try to avoid any water/moisture if possible.

4.) Hang in cooler for 10-14 days

5.) Process accordingly

Posts: 207 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedRidge
2017 Contributor
Member # 39216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedRidge   Email RedRidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoyed reading this thread. Sounds like I will have to try aging out.

Not meaning to hijack at all, but further the discussion: Whats everyone's reasoning for leaving hide on while it hangs versus gut/skin then hang?

Posts: 167 | From: West Texas | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxSportsman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 41220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxSportsman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RedRidge:

Not meaning to hijack at all, but further the discussion: Whats everyone's reasoning for leaving hide on while it hangs versus gut/skin then hang?

I don't like to remove the hide as it aids in keeping the meat from drying out during the process.

I also don't like doing any processing to the animal before aging as I want the carcass to rest. We have all been there - you shoot a deer - 20 minutes later or an hour later you begin cutting it up and it's still constricting. All that does is take away from the tenderness.

I was taught my process from a group of PH's from South Africa who take their biltong and aged meat pretty seriously. It's been excellent ever since and I've had the best bacon wrapped backstrap filets ever!

Posts: 207 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cold weather let em hang for a week with the hide on.

-

Warm weather, put em in the frig.

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 4985 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Nock
Contributor 2007
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Nock   Author's Homepage   Email Doc Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've shared this here before so will try to keep it brief...

I peel the bark ASAP to get the meat cooled down. Period... Bow season in PA never was "cool" enough and given deer's hollow hair holds heat well, I skin em quick.

Don't like it dried out. Rub the deer/critter inside and out with CRISCO..it's veggie shortening and doesn't turn rancid in the freezer in 30 days like some animal fats.

That meat will be as moist 5-7-10 days later in a cooler or fridge as it was the day it was skinned!

I scrape some off when I start butchering. Indeed, it takes 36+ hrs for rigormortis to get back out of the flesh... Carve it up while rigor is in the meat and it will still be tough when you put it in the terlet!

Enough of that... To each his own. [Smile]

Have fun and it what you kill!

--------------------
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Posts: 13315 | From: Greene County, TN | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Nock
Contributor 2007
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Nock   Author's Homepage   Email Doc Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading back, I saw one that tasted bad and stunk.

I had one buck like that, but I was "away" and had limited resources...he was full rut, lay in his own juices for a few hours till we tracked and found him, was run hard prior to killing, and it turned warmed and rained and with dogs where we were I couldn't get it skinned as they wanted to hamstring my deer...nobody would put them up so it was left hang, hide on, but washed the body cavity out with bakin soda and then dried... but it rained/ turned warm and it was 2 days till I got it skinned... no way in those days to age it and it was RANK...required BBQ sauce on every bite, but I ate it all.

Several hunting buddies claimed ALL the venison they ate tasted like that...

Critters can be good or bad depending onmTheir diet (had a mulie doe lived on high prairie on sage all year and it was nearly unfit to eat, but I did), how much they're run before they die, and handling after...

that's my $.02 worth

--------------------
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Posts: 13315 | From: Greene County, TN | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skipmaster1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skipmaster1   Email Skipmaster1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RedRidge:

I skin mine before it goes in the cooler. First, it keeps everything nice and clean. Second, it cools faster. Even after 30 days, I haven't found the meat "dry". I mean , it's dry aged, but it's not like cardboard or something. Just a thin "rind" to trim off . I don't want blood/moisture/bacteria trapped between the hide and meat. There are reasons cows are aged hide off.
Posts: 878 | From: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I encourage some if you to try wet aging. It is simple and very effective.

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Northern Mist Baraga , Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 632 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I encourage some if you to try wet aging. It is simple and very effective.

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Northern Mist Baraga , Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 632 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I let it sit in an ice chest for a week with the drain plug out. I ad ice as needed. I now have an extra fridge, and am probably going to convert it to a meat fridge.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11731 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©