3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » First season w/ recurve (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First season w/ recurve
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck!FOCUS and pick a spot!!

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3177 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
Member # 19893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw   Author's Homepage   Email tcw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE:

-

Had a chance to hunt a buddies piece of property with no pressure and good deer #'s. We had 3 sits over 2 days.

The first evening I hung my stand about 75 yds from a popple stand known to be a bedding sanctuary. Had 5 deer come through my area, but all outside or on the edge of my comfortable range. Exciting night, but not productive for me.

Next AM I had a small 8pt come right under me but was jumpy - I think I bumped him when I came in. He spotted a small hand movement and blew/bolted away.

The ruckus brought a curious small doe in and she gave me a quartering away at 16 yds. I thought I found a good anchor and picked a spot, but my shot was way off. I hit her high in the back leg and the arrow hung in her - fletching out one side, broadhead out the other. I could tell she was hit hard, and was praying I'd cut enough veins & arteries to kill her.

She was wobbly at 80 yds where she bedded down and I was pretty sure she was already dying, but sat for an 1.5 to keep the woods quiet for my buddies and give her time to expire.

The shot ended up exiting low, right in front of her offside rear leg and she bled hard - I could see the horror scene from my stand once the light came up. Of course the arrow got into her guts a little, so I had to carefully clean her.

Super excited, proud and honored to have taken my first trad deer! It was a long time coming, but I am hooked hard and going to get back out there and try to fill my buck tag now.

Thanks for the support and info, gentlemen and ladies. Wishing you all calm deer and straight shots! I'll try to figure out how to upload a photo or two.

Posts: 60 | From: minneapolis, minnesota | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
Member # 19893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw   Author's Homepage   Email tcw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

Posts: 60 | From: minneapolis, minnesota | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mjolnir
Member # 42091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mjolnir   Email Mjolnir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy for you. I hit the first one I killed with recurve almost exactly the same way.
Posts: 74 | From: Lexington, Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, you are in for a treat!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17116 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rays Arrow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rays Arrow   Email Rays Arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never forget my first deer with a bow. Congratulations.

--------------------
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Posts: 106 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attaboy!!
Nice job!
Tim B

Posts: 620 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
Member # 19893

Thanks everyone!
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Congrats on your first, my it be the first of many [thumbsup]

Looking forward to your buck story

[campfire] [coffee]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1454 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhnter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhnter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on a great deer!

Just remember a couple things.

That bow you are carrying is a deadly weapon, have confidence it and your arrow will more then do what you ask of it.

There is no lack or sublevel things about that bow. It shoots and hits right where you aim just the same as a sighted wheel bow does. You shoot right and exercise good form it will hit the mark. If you dont shoot form, just like any other weapon, you will miss. That's not the bows fault.

Part of the confidence you need, is to realize you are not lame or hindered in any way just because you pick up a trad bow. Practice for form and shot, and it's just as deadly. You will quickly see you do not need fast wheels or gadgets to be perfectly effective. Shake off that "this is not normal hunting" mind screw that plagues new people and causes them to cash it in when 1 thing happens to go wrong. To many, trad bows are all that's ever existed and have always been deadly. Let that sink in a bit. Good luck and hang tight.

Posts: 1061 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
Member # 19893

Thanks for the support, everyone. Much appreciated! I'm glad to have finally joined your ranks and proven that I can do it.

Thanks Shadowhntr too for the straight talk. I def have some lingering confidence issues that I need to get over. Knocking one down helped, but I know I am still tentative about using this bow. I've put a TON of time in and shoot really well. If my mind can catch up with my hands I'll be deadly!

Thanks for the pep-talk [Wink]

joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life as you knew it is over.
Be patient, let the deer get close, aim small and don't forget to breath.

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4187 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

And kudos for getting a nice 'ol Ben Pearson Javelina back into action. [clapper]

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4006 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your first. One you will always remember!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17116 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2017
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, picking a spot is one of the hardest things to do in the excitement of the moment. It gets easier though.
Don't let a lack of confidence get to you. The only handicap a stick bow has is on the distance you are comfortable shooting. For me that is 20 yards. For any shot under that distance I would choose a stickbow every time.

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1738 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©