3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Bodkin Broadheads, opinions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bodkin Broadheads, opinions
KevinK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK   Email KevinK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Referring to the ones currently available. Opinions? Haven't heard much other than it is an older design (proven) and some say they are too soft for deer. I was going to try some for the price but if they are too soft, then I was going to pass.

--------------------
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Posts: 135 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great small game heads! I wouldn't recommend them for big game. The VPA 200 gr 3 blade is almost identical
Posts: 2584 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I killed a moose with one of the old ones years ago. Complete penetration and it was down in sight. They were pretty soft compared to some of the newer heads out there, but probably not much (or any) softer than a Bear Razorhead.

If there is a current version of the head perhaps they are harder than they were. Might be worth checking.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11323 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used them a long time ago as well. Would have no compunction about using them on deer. They're plenty "hard"/stout for that. Very easy to get sharp as well.
Posts: 8624 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never used them for deer, but shot a few rabbits and pheasants with them. If you can get them sharp, no reason why they wouldn't work on deer.
Posts: 1428 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianfromTulsa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianfromTulsa   Email BrianfromTulsa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad swore by them back when I was a kid. I'm 50 now so that's been a while
Posts: 420 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longtoke
Contributor 2017
Member # 43977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longtoke   Email Longtoke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a big bag of em to use on small game. Like mentioned they are pretty dang soft and the tips bend easily so you might want to pyramid them if you plan to use them on something big.

I

--------------------
Pika t/d 54"
Prairie Predator 60"
1961 kodiak 60"

Posts: 990 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acolobowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acolobowhunter   Email acolobowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot many of the years and years ago. They were easy to sharpen and worked good. Never used them on big game. Then a few years ago, I bought some more. They seemed to be made out of a different material. They seemed like "spring steel" and very brittle. As I was mounting some, the ferrals split. I never mounted any more and tossed them back in my tackle box. The old ones were pretty tough and good for small game.
Posts: 524 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©