3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Critter population management 2017-18 (Update 11/14) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Critter population management 2017-18 (Update 11/14)
Bowhunter4life
Member # 518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowhunter4life   Email Bowhunter4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family and I moved to Georgia the summer of 2016. Of course one of the first things is finding someplace to hunt! Well, found what is actually local piece of Government Property that was open to hunting... But, for the most part it is Game Management to keep their numbers down (and off their runway!).

Well, they have multiple zones to choose from including a "Bow Only" zone. Of course this intrigued me, and I scouted it pretty thoroughly. Not a big piece of property, but thick! After a lot of tree time last year, and a number of critters thinned I think I've figured it out... Kinda... With the relatively high pressure from other hunters I focused on escape routes and had pretty good success once doing so last year.

That's enough background... let's jump to this year! Got in early and put my 2 allowed ladder stands in on the best escape routes I'd found last year. Basically staking my claim to them. One good for a South wind and one good for a North... Well, Hurricane "Irma" had other plans for my "South" tree/tree stand location from last year...

-

Took three does and a sow hog out of that setup last year... it was a perfect tree too, well concealed, and perfect for South wind... Anyway, can't fight Mother Nature... Removed my tree stand (which was unusable...), ordered another and got it setup in same area... It will work, but not as nice of setup as the first...

Let's get to some hunting!

Sept 26: morning hunt, got in my other stand as the wind was better at that one that day. Was expecting deer as this is what I've seen at this setup last year especially if any other hunters were trouncing through the area... Well before shooting light I could hear a hog grunting/working around literally directly down wind from me, but seems to be getting closer anyway...

As shooting light arrives I can start seeing movement through the trees and brush as he is no where near my shooting lanes but 15 - 25 yards away in the thick stuff with me trying to get a clear shot at him... Finally, he stepped into a little clear spot with his vitals silhouetted by trees/brush at 20 yd, I was at full draw and let it go when he did... Seen a flash of the arrow on the way and heard the hit, he took a quick 3-4 steps and stood there for about 5 seconds... then bolted into the thick stuff...

Pretty sure I'd heard him crash not to far into the scrub, but literally 20 min before sunrise... so I hunted for the next 2 hours without seeing anything else... Temps were rising and I needed to make sure what I thought happened did... Got down and found my arrow sticking in the dirt with a nice crimson coat of blood on it... Short 20 yd track job from there and this is how I found him...

-

That is the entrance and the exit is about 4" lower and 2" forward. Unfortunately this is the only photo I have of him, got caught up in getting him out of there and to the processor... 125# Boar shot with a bow I finally got Terry to sell to me last Summer... 60" Thunderstick MOAB 83# at my draw, 250 gr VPA 1 1/4" Terminator on a weighted Gold Tip. Fitting first critter for Terry's old MOAB, and it has been "Blooded" proper!

Oct 5: morning hunt, best stand for wind, pretty quiet till 9:00 when I heard a familiar sound faintly behind me... Again, opposite direction I expect anything to be coming from, but I can see glimpses of movement through the scrub. Made out that it was a small Buck, but with the theme of the hunt to decrease the numbers it's game on!

He was working from my right to left and cut my scent trail (Scent control is a given, but I'd also layed down a scent trail of Buck Bomb Ambush (Not affiliated at all, I have just had good luck calming the deer here...) on my way in... On my boots and sporadic sprays including my shooting lanes), and started walking right down the trail to me... He finally walked into my first shooting lane sniffing all the way... Slight quartering away shot at 20 yds and you can see the entrance and the exit is low and tight at the elbow on the other side and the arrow stuck in a tree about 1/2 way up the broadhead. He went about 50 yards and piled up, seen him go down.

56" Black Widow PCH II 69# at my draw, 250 gr VPA 1 1/4" Terminator on a weighted Gold Tip.

-

-

So far there hasn't been nearly the hunting pressure there was last year, thus the weird scenarios that have unfolded so far... Almost makes me want to swap stands for the wind as even with the wrong wind, or at least perceived wrong wind, the animals are still coming through it... Thus coming into the area rather then escaping from it... Time will tell, and I'll update as the season unfolds.

--------------------
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 5258 | From: Georgia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Cook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 20751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Cook   Email J. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good start!!!!!!

--------------------
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Posts: 1243 | From: Kannapolis, NC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chumster
Contributor 2017
Member # 25576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chumster   Author's Homepage   Email Chumster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck of a start!

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

--------------------
Never wait too long!

Posts: 332 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, I live in Jones county, and there is a lot of public land available in the Oconee National Forest which lies in several counties. It has been quite a while since I concentrated on public land, but I do know you can find some uncrowded places, especially since you don't mind getting into the thick stuff. Archery season doesn't seem to attract near as many pickup trucks to the roadside as gun season does, so some degree of isolation is possible.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4787 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePushArchery
SPONSOR
Member # 14520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePushArchery   Email ThePushArchery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff, awesome write-up

--------------------
"The Push - A Traditional Archery Film"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1E1vKkSSoNs

@thepusharchery

Podcast - "The Push - A Traditional Archery Podcast" iTunes Podbean Stitcher

https://www.thepusharchery.com

Posts: 1364 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Done [clapper] [clapper]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1458 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good shooting Jeff. Did not realize you were in Gawja now.

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Posts: 7910 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!
Posts: 5581 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6203 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice shooting....

,,Sam,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2624 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job!

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2158 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum Head
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Possum Head   Email Possum Head   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you gotem figured out. Hunt that leaning stand and you wont have to cant yur bow! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Posts: 2096 | From: Hurley, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! Give us more.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11319 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcar315
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcar315   Email jcar315   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Done!

--------------------
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 5315 | From: Boonsboro Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joeabowhunter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joeabowhunter   Email Joeabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome start to your season. Filling the freezer pretty quickly.
Posts: 1371 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©