3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Season really doesn’t start until you’ve made some mistakes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Season really doesn’t start until you’ve made some mistakes
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soonerlongbow   Email Soonerlongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve always thought deer season didn’t really start till you made a couple mistakes, at least spooked 1 or 2, forgot your glove, something. Just came out to a place by the house and didn’t pay attention at all I guess because I should have realized that the group of mesquite and bois d’ arc trees I was approaching was perfect bedding cover. Just one doe but man did she high tail it through hip tall grass for about 600 open country yards before she ever stopped. All in about 30sec. Oh we.

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Posts: 603 | From: OK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abbatoys
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 5044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbatoys   Email abbatoys   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haaa, yep same with me behind the house. Seems I can't get out to a stand without at least one doe busting me before I get out of the yard..

--------------------
62" Thunderstick Moab 52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Kodiak 50lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Posts: 970 | From: Rockford / Hesperia, MI. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soonerlongbow   Email Soonerlongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add insult to injury, as I walked out at dusk I saw one of the bucks ive been watching step out of the same cospe of trees and walk straight towards my truck. The trees are right on the border of the hunting land vs. public use area.

[banghead]

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Posts: 603 | From: OK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

To add insult to injury, as I walked out at dusk I saw one of the bucks ive been watching step out of the same cospe of trees and walk straight towards my truck. The trees are right on the border of the hunting land vs. public use area.

[banghead]

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Possum Head
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Possum Head   Email Possum Head   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things can only get better now.
Posts: 2118 | From: Hurley, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a young pup I remember an adjunct professor who had been "out in the real world" and he told us that when we were applying for a job we should collect "No's". If you get turned down - that's great. Go out and get some more.

Deer hunting can be the same. If you spend enough time trying eventually the angels will smile and it lines up. Lord knows I have made my share of mistakes.

I consider it paying my dues. The more time you spend at it the better your chances. You just have to be there when the deer makes a mistake and you don't.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4057 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

I can hope and pray.

[pray] [pray] [pray]

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be a successful bowhunter , many things have to go right, and it only takes one thing to go wrong to throw the whole game.

I usually have that one wrong thing with me! LOL

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12068 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep all the mistakes, close calls and mishaps are why I'm a bowhunter .

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 928 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodchucker
Contributor 2017
Member # 2822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodchucker   Email woodchucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me... The Bucks we kill, provide a lifelong memory!
The ones we don't... Provide a lifetime of stories, that only get funnier, each time they're told!!!

--------------------
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 5612 | From: Dutchess Co. New York | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a gear dropper. Seems like things don't get rolling until I've dropped my number one arrow out of the tree or some other item. Use to irritate me to no end. Now I just accept it. Everything goes smoother with each passing day.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11323 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let the glove be a mind game...its only finger protection and not a release aid....I've killed plenty of animals when I left my glove...thanks to A.D.D.

Have fun!!!

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31097 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mess up every hunt. Usually the same mistakes every time but I love going out and trying anyhow.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17172 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm familiar with the concept. If I'm lucky each year I'll get up the learning curve before the season ends. I've been at this awhile. Each year I start out full of bight-eyed and bushy-tailed optimism. I've corrected everything that went wrong the previous year and developed contingency plans for everything that could possibly go wrong this year. It's just that said optimism usually cause me to grossly underestimate the number of possible things in that second set!
Case in point:I'm always a bit stunned at the folks that hunt out of tree stands but never practice from one (preferably standing and sitting). It's easier said than done to maintain all the aspects of consistent form that you've cultivated on the ground. And you can bet the farm, no matter how much you've practiced from your stand at the exact distance you expect the shot, the deer will be standing much closer to the base of your tree than you ever expected...don't ask how I know. I won't get into the debate of the ethics of the steep downward shot. There are folks who've dissected deer to prove the vitals are as wide from above as they are tall on a broadside shot....I'm not going there. The point is if you intend to take the shot, practice it. I did, but did not have the foresight to include the actual shooting lane I'd cut down through the mountain laurel which was conveniently framing the vitals. If I'd added such realism to my practice sessions I might have had the presence of mind to remember that line of sight is flat, arrow trajectory is not...and I wouldn't have taken the shot...and my arrow wouldn't have hit that branch...oh it's still just too painful to talk about!

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1660 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BAK
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAK   Email BAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, opening day on the first. Got halfway to my stand and realized I had everything but my bow.

Went back and got it, sat 2 hours, shot a nice big doe. What a start.

--------------------
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Posts: 1097 | From: NE Iowa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©