3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Indiana buck (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Indiana buck
Rob W.
Contributor 2014
Member # 28920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob W.   Email Rob W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My season thus far is shaping up to be a good one. Opening morning I passed on a 5 point at about 8 yrds. That evening 6 doe came in but from about every direction all at once. The next morning I was in the same spot and managed to get a nice little 8 point to within the other side of the red oak I was sitting at the base of. Beautiful deer but the season had just began.

I hunt mostly public land spots and jump back and forth between a bunch of them throughout the year. After work Tuesday I switched spots to a place I had always wanted to hunt. This spot is the corner of a ridge overlooking an overgrown field that borders a large group of pines.

I settled into my hammock seat in the warm evening with a south wind blowing in my face. I sat there for hours watching squirrels and noticing that the acorns were only dropping on this particular corner. Evening hunts aren't really my favorite time of day. I would much rather watch the sun come up but this evening was different. I was content sitting there just soaking up the sounds of the woods.

About a half before the end of shooting light I was already planning my next hunt. I had seen nothing and was a little bummed about the spot I thought would be so good. Then I heard the steady foot steps of what I knew wasn't a squirrel up the ridge and behind me. I caught the movement of a big body and immediately folded my seat back and turned in that direction getting on my knees.

It was a buck and he was on track to pass by me at 10 yrds. He slowly feed my way and I almost tried a shot over top a log but thought better of it. He passed a large white oak and turned ever so slightly away to expose a perfect vital shot. I released an arrow that felt good but heard no sound of impact. The buck walked foward about 8 yards and looked back at where he had been. Did I just miss? Grab another arrow dummy he is still standing there! I came to full draw with my second arrow and as I was about to release I noticed a jitter in his legs. I let down the bow as the buck grunted a deep last breath and fell over. What a start to the season!

I may need KY TJ ( if he is up) or someone else to post some pics for me. I can't get mine to work.

--------------------
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Posts: 2797 | From: S. Indiana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was fortunate that Rob had previously shared pics of the wonderful harvest with me.

The buck is magnicent and the memories of this splendid harvest will live on.

Congrats Rob and thank you for sharing.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6604 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Rob. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your hoosier buck.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1309 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting , Congrats brother.....

,,Sam,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2661 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ya, I can see your setup in my mind, big oak ridge overlooking a grown over field with acorns dropping!!!!!!

Can't wait for pics!!!!!!

[campfire] [coffee]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1471 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum Head
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Possum Head   Email Possum Head   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something how they dont have a clue they've been stuck! Good job Brutha.
Posts: 2118 | From: Hurley, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attaboy!!!
Bring on the pics
Tim B

Posts: 634 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keefer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keefer   Author's Homepage   Email Keefer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulation Rob sent you a p.m.
Posts: 4119 | From: Hurlock Maryland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Manassa
Contributor 2015
Member # 15050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Manassa   Email Mike Manassa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Rob. Enjoyed the story.Mike
Posts: 277 | From: Rodman,NY | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob W.
Contributor 2014
Member # 28920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob W.   Email Rob W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!

Forgot to add I'm shooting my Hoot's recurve. 56" 57# @ 29" CE heritage 250's with Ace standard heads.

--------------------
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Posts: 2797 | From: S. Indiana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cchoward
Member # 42967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cchoward   Email cchoward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!!

--------------------
Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything.

Posts: 28 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KAZ   Email KAZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper] Pics [goldtooth] [campfire]
Posts: 919 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadbow   Email kadbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Nebraska Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2572 | From: Western Colorado | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! Looking foward to the pics!

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2165 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[dunno] pics?!?!

Sorry, I'm a little Impatient...... [banghead]

[campfire] [coffee]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1471 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©