3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Which would you choose for hunting deer? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Which would you choose for hunting deer?
Turkhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turkhunter   Email Turkhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3 different broadheads in my quiver and all shoot very well. My quandry comes from the sharpness of each and I wonder which one to use first. I have a 3 blade VPA that I can get sharp but it wont shave. I have a 2 blade Magnus 2 that I can get to shave. Lastly, I have a Bear Super Razorhead that I can get scary, hair popping sharp. So what do you guys think I should use for my number 1 arrow?

--------------------
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Posts: 132 | From: Berryville, AR | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOHO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOHO   Email BOHO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 blade vpa

--------------------
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Tom

Posts: 2461 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cory Mattson
Contributor 2016
Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory Mattson   Email Cory Mattson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear Razorhead - the other two don't count if you can't get them sharp.
NEVER send less than your sharpest head.

--------------------
Savana River Bow Zone - Trad Bowhunting Club

Posts: 1415 | From: Work / NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can’t go wrong with any of those heads. All I shoot is VPA.
Posts: 2601 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sharpen my heads in this order. File, stone and leather. I could post piles of dead deer pics with a 175 VPA 1 1/4”.
Posts: 2601 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bear Super Razoerhead, SS version, cut a 4" entry hole on this fellow due to the angle of the entry.

Go with the hair popping Bear.

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7326 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear. It's not only a 2-blade design which should in theory penetrate better than your 3-blade but is also the sharpest which should cut and penetrate better. I won't shoot a head that I can't get super sharp. My arrows are wearing Grizzly single bevels this year but I've had good success on deer with about any head I've used that was sharp. They just aren't that big or tough.

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - 225gr up front for 22% FOC

Posts: 1352 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All else being equal, whichever one you can get the sharpest is the one you should go with!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11731 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whichever of the Magnus 2 or Bear Razorhead shoots better for you.

I've had good luck in the past with a Magnus 2, and the bear certainly has a heritage.

--------------------
Charlie P. ~~ _/)~~ A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 3 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 2 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 3887 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd shoot the 3 blade VPA
Posts: 2532 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 blade VPA

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6532 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back up.

Are you saying that you have three different make broadheads at the same time in your quiver and wonder which to lead off with? [Eek!]

No, no, no. Chose one and stick with it. They all fly and tune differently.

--------------------
Charlie P. ~~ _/)~~ A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 3 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 2 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 3887 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NY Yankee
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NY Yankee   Email NY Yankee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe the ability to shave needs to be a criteria in a sharp broadhead. I use a file and an Accusharp tool and my 2 blade heads will cut the heck out of you but doesn't really shave like my folding knife. They are as sharp as grandpa's butcher knives when he was cutting beef and you definitely didn't want to get cut with those. They would split your thumb without trying, but I doubt they would shave. There are different kinds of edges. I believe a razor blade would just fold on bone compared to a good sharp working edge, like a butcher knife, which would be tougher to damage that edge.

--------------------
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Posts: 416 | From: Canandaigua, NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePushArchery
SPONSOR
Member # 14520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePushArchery   Email ThePushArchery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Bisch here. If all are flying and tune well, it comes down to which is sharpest for me.

--------------------
"The Push - A Traditional Archery Film"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1E1vKkSSoNs

@thepusharchery

Podcast - "The Push - A Traditional Archery Podcast" iTunes Podbean Stitcher

https://www.thepusharchery.com

Posts: 1350 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharpest--- if you cant get it verrrry sharp, save it for small game. Youll appreciate this decision at 0 dark30 after the shot.
Posts: 494 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©