3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Which would you choose for hunting deer? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Which would you choose for hunting deer?
kadbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadbow   Email kadbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VPA 3 blade for me.

--------------------
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Nebraska Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2558 | From: Western Colorado | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Cook
Contributor 2017
Member # 20751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Cook   Email J. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great points made by most here - shoot the one you can get the sharpest! I also agree that "shaving sharp" isn't the best gauge for how it will perform when shot into an animal. It's my experience that a double bevel edge that will shave is often so thin that it will roll easily.

Having said that, I have shot the VPA's (and still do) and I've shot the Bear heads. Both will perform very well, but I believe the VPA's to be much more durable and I happen to be able to sharpen 3-blades much easier than 2-blades.

I do have plenty of my set ups with multiple types of broadheads in them as I don't agree with the above statement that they all fly and tune differently. It's my experience that if your arrow is well tuned, and your broadhead of choice is aligned (i.e. spins true), and are all the same weight, then you'll not be able to see an appreciable difference in flight or point of impact from one brand to the next. If you do - it points to a tuning issue of likely being on the very edge of spine or nock point. Our bows are between 150 and 185fps which isn't enough speed to have any trouble tuning even the largest of blades.

--------------------
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Posts: 1210 | From: Kannapolis, NC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to what others have found I have found that three blades out penetrate SOME two blades... best do your own testing ....

however that being said I would not shoot a dull Broadhead... I'm not sure what you consider a sharp and I really can't figure out why you can't get a vpa sharp it's the easiest Broadhead in the world to sharpen as a 3 blade.

Have Fun!!!

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30671 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Terry on this. I have had pass thrus on deer, caribou, black bear and a hog shooting 3 blades from bows in the 47#-55# range at my 28" draw. Right now I prefer the VPA heads. Seems some folks do have issues with sharpening the VPAs or the Woodsmans, Snuffers etc. but for me, once I learned to use light pressure, they are easier to sharpen than a 2 blade head. That being said, use the ones that you can get the sharpest!
By the way, there are some good tutorials on 3 blade sharpening both on this site and youtube.

--------------------
Black Widow PLIII 62", 49#@28"
Black Widow PLV 62", 50#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3321 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KAZ   Email KAZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 Blade VPA
Posts: 803 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no experience with the VPA's. I have plenty with both the Bear and the Magnus. Great heads. Shoot the one that fly's the best for you.
Posts: 1394 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
Contributor 2017
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still time to learn how to sharpen the VPA. Just saying. Don forget that your angle of approach when attempting to shave with a 3 blade is different than a 2 blade.
Posts: 5534 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turkhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turkhunter   Email Turkhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clear up a few things, first, I can get the VPA broadheads pretty sharp, as in will stick on a fingernail or easily pop a rubber band with very little effort. I just cant get them to shave hair like I can the 2 blades but make no mistake they are sharp. Also, the only deer I have taken to date is with the VPA and it did a good job. As for having different broadheads in my quiver, some of my arrows are equipped with 100gr brass inserts and 125gr 2blade heads while others are standard inserts with 200gr VPA. all my arrows weigh within 20gr of each other and all shoot to the same point of impact and are tuned very well. Im just wondering if there is an advantage to a slightly sharper 2 blade over a 3 blade. Or is it a moot point and just go with what feels right at the moment.

--------------------
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Posts: 132 | From: Berryville, AR | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turkhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turkhunter   Email Turkhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that the only deer I have taken to date with traditional bow equipment. I have taken many deer with other archery equipment over the years.

--------------------
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Posts: 132 | From: Berryville, AR | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is not sharp it don't count. You last post might change my mind but it is a subjective call. If it worked for you before, your opinion of sharp may be good enough. Good luck. >>>----> Ken
Posts: 189 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceme24
Contributor 2015
Member # 22378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceme24   Email ceme24   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot what you have the most confidence in getting the job done. Lack of confidence with your gear can affect you in the field.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Posts: 2806 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Edge that will roll easiest is the single bevel... I may be mistaken but I believe that's the one that doesn't have support because one side has no build-up it's a fall off

I want to make one thing clear you can make a shaving sharp edge that is very durable people have been doing it for 50 years.....

And yes you can make one that will shave it is too thin that will shave that will roll....

but do not mistake the fact that you can make a durable Edge that will shave hair very decisively

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30671 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schmidty3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Schmidty3   Email Schmidty3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm with PDK25.

I was playing with some of my bro's vpas this weekend. He had them kinda sharp. Not good enough for my taste. But I have never been good at sharpening 3 blades...So I took them and laid them flat on 800 and 2000 grit sandpaper and stroked them backwards across them. Made them nice and shiny. But they wouldn't shave very well.

I then realized that I was angling them up and trying to shave like when shaving with a two blade. Well that angle was about 60 degrees. That was my error. I laid the head almost flat on my arm. It then Easily shaved.

Posts: 198 | From: Dallas, tx | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntryx
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntryx   Email huntryx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharpest, for sure. Get a few more and leave the others at home.

--------------------
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2521 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spinealigner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spinealigner   Email Spinealigner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VPA 3 Blade
From base to tip

1. Light file
2. Coarse Diamond rod
3. Medium Diamond rod
4. Fine Diamond rod
5. Quality Butchers steel
6. Leather Strop

pops hair

Posts: 155 | From: NC | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©