3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Quick snake skin question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick snake skin question
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When ya skin a bow.....bout how long before you shooting it again?
Tim B

Posts: 634 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ranger 3
Contributor 2014
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ranger 3   Email ranger 3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the next day, but that depends on what finish you use. I always use True Oil

--------------------
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Posts: 3215 | From: il | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How durable are the skins when using the bow?

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4811 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowbldr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowbldr   Email Bowbldr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About a week.
Posts: 1272 | From: Central Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bob. I give the glue at least 24 hours to dry completely. Then two or three coats of finish with about a day's drying time between each.
Posts: 8620 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Base on info I gathered here over the summer I plan to use TB 2 and then several light coats of tru oil followed by couple light coats of satin spar urethane

Reportedly pretty durable
Tim B

Posts: 634 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowbldr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowbldr   Email Bowbldr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I use. TB3 (TB2 is fine), Min 3 coats of Thunderbird gloss, 1 final coat of dull.
Posts: 1272 | From: Central Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixby
SPONSOR
Member # 14586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sixby   Email Sixby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Week is right. Finish info is right.Good luck, God bless, Steve

--------------------
http://www.eaglewingarchery.itgo.com

Posts: 3319 | From: Medford, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wait at least a week before applying the finish. Are you skinning a wood bow? When I put skins on a selfbow I put painters masking tape on the sides of the limbs and then I put a thin coat of TB glue on the back as a sizing coat. After it's dry I glue the skins down. The tape makes clean up easier and the sizing coat reduces the amount of moisture that is absorbed into the bow.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1309 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A glass bow, the next day. A wood bow, I'd wait a week.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13193 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Scrub - I wanna skinn my bear Griz
Thanks for the info boys
Tim B

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©