Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » side arm (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: side arm
woodchucker
Contributor 2017
Member # 2822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodchucker   Email woodchucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always carry a pistol with my NYS permit, hunting or otherwise. My experiance over the years has been that the ECO's I have dealt with, have no issues with you carrying a reasonable personal defense handgun, with a legal concealed carry permit, while bowhunting. Usually they are more interested with my Bear T/D & cedar arrows, than the little S&W .38 on my hip.
(My Ruger .44mag may be looked at differently though?)

--------------------
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 5605 | From: Dutchess Co. New York | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull. .454 is not fun to shoot period but a 2.5" barrel is ridiculous. I got rid of it and replaced it with a 629. I do recommend Garrett Cartridges ammo for your bear deterrent, I also carry their 540gr Hammerheads in my 45-70.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand, and my fletching is about as left-wing as I get.

Posts: 779 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorado
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dorado   Email Dorado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Legal here in Texas. I carry a gun anyways after getting a knife pulled on me as I was leaving a restaurant. It's part of my hunting kit as well. Never know what you'll run into. A friend of mine found a man, with arms and legs bound behind him, hung from a tree.
I have a couple of guns I switch between depending on what I feel like.

--------------------
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Posts: 282 | From: Wichita Falls, Tx | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark Willoughby
Contributor 2017
Member # 42619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark Willoughby   Email mark Willoughby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never leave the house without it ..... for anything ! To many crazy people out there these days

--------------------
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 917 | From: kentucky | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of these is usually with me most times. Top- down, .44mag, .357, .357, .38 special

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5008 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost always have a S&W 642 in my front pocket regardless of what else I am carrying.

Most days there is a 1911 or Glock on my hip as well.

There is usually an M4 in my truck.

When I am hunting I MIGHT change that up to a heavy revolver, but usually not. I am not carrying as protection against 4 legged creatures. It's the 2 legged type I look out for.

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
www.Tradwoodsman.com What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Posts: 3979 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrestonTaylor
Member # 46272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrestonTaylor   Email PrestonTaylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never carry a pistol while bowhunting. And I've never needed one. I encounter a lot of black bears each year, at close range (last year I could've poked a sow and 2 cubs with my bow, and this season I saw 8 bears in one afternoon on the same hillside). And we rarely see a puma, but know they are here from their sign.
Part of being a woodsman is understanding animal behavior, and with bears most situations can be peacefully de-escalated with the proper body language and reactions.

If I was in grizzly country I'd carry bear spray. I did like what Mike Mitten said in one of those recent podcasts, something to the effect of "...if I needed to I could hunt with my handgun and I can't hunt with bear spray..." That is a good point. But he is talking about long trips in big wilderness and survival.

From the perspective of personal safety I think a handgun could be more of a liability than protection in a lot of situations. You pull a gun out on a cartel grow site around here and you're gonna disappear. You try to shoot a bear and just injure it, and you might provoke an attack that was never going to happen.

Posts: 14 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©