3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » ASAT "vanish" suit (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ASAT "vanish" suit
WVFarrier
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 46726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WVFarrier   Email WVFarrier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i bought this ghillie suit on a whim and wore it a few times. Seemed to work well enough. I will say that after today I am a believer. I managed to stalk within 15 feet of 4 tom turkeys this afternoon. Not only dod i get that close....one of the turkeys was grazing and grabbed my boot lace. They had no idea i was there. I followed them for another 10 yards til i got to the spot i wanted to sit and watch for deer. Not once did they clue in on me. good stuff!!

--------------------
As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i shall fear no evil, for thou art with me

Posts: 40 | From: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper]

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4335 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a doe last year stare right through me. it was a cool experience. I saw her feeding and tried my luck at stalking up on her. At 15 yards i stepped on something and she looked up to see what caused the noise.. it was like she couldn't see me..

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Hunter's Choice Bowstrings

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 2994 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyk71
Contributor 2016
Member # 5765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyk71   Email johnnyk71   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup. i have had deer and turkeys look right through me. have had squirrels walk right down the middle of me in the tree. once had a coon walk right over my leg while sitting on the ground. and the most amazing one, a hawk almost landed on my head in a high tree.

100% true. that leafy suit is the best.

--------------------
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Posts: 1140 | From: Daphne, AL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Combs
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R. Combs   Email R. Combs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a Buck come through about a week ago and I didn’t have a lot of cover. I went to draw when he went behind a tree but he caught movement and stopped to look but it was like he was looking right past me. When he turned to leave I zipped an arrow through him and about 70 yards later there he was.
I have killed a few deer using asat 3D leafy, love the stuff!!

Rick

Posts: 542 | From: Black River, NY | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedShaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedShaft   Email RedShaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been wanting to get one. I have saved up. I just have not ordered one yet.
I know there an over suit as my dad had one years ago. I’m not very big guy. Sizing I have not quite figured out yet.

Great story!

--------------------
Respect All...Fear None!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Posts: 1801 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How 'bout a picture?

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4781 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
limbshaker
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 34690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limbshaker   Email limbshaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have to try one of these. They look great! Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Posts: 133 | From: Decatur, AL | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Combs
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R. Combs   Email R. Combs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don’t know how to post a pic on this site anymore. I use to use photo bucket. The nice thing about the asat leafy is the you can use it in warm or cold weather where a lot of ghillie suits are to warm for you early season
Posts: 542 | From: Black River, NY | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasper2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasper2   Email Jasper2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same experiences as the others above with this suit. I see no reason to even bother with a shaggy ghillie type suit because I really can't see how anything can work that much better than the ASAT suit. It weighs nothing, no bow arm trimming issues, it doesn't do too bad with burs, and it flat out works! The material can be a little loud until it breaks in, it is prone to fading, and it gets hung up in briars quite easily because it's mesh but the pros far outweigh the cons in this case.

--------------------
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Posts: 283 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedShaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedShaft   Email RedShaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it work in the stand as well? Or you guys hunting from the ground?
On the ground I bet it’s amazing. I didn’t know if the light color stands out up in a tree or not?

--------------------
Respect All...Fear None!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Posts: 1801 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curlis
Contributor 2017
Member # 9765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlis   Email curlis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ordered one today.

--------------------
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Posts: 1045 | From: Monroe, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasper2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasper2   Email Jasper2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Works great from a stand as well. Personally, I think the headnet is a very important piece as it helps break up our round melons! I killed my first trad deer years ago wearing my ASAT suit in a treestand at 5 yards. The wind was blowing slightly that day and the "leaves" on the suit were kind of fluttering just like the real thing that was all around me.

--------------------
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Posts: 283 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trumpkin the Dwarf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 31043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trumpkin the Dwarf   Email Trumpkin the Dwarf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started using one. Had a big 8pt almost run me over last night. He knew something was in his way and shied out to 30 yards, but then spent a couple minutes circling, trying to figure me out. Never got a shot, but he didn't really know what to think of me. He was an old buck, with a big roman nose too. I'm sold on it! Had a doe doe the same thing in the morning as well.

--------------------
Malachi C.

Toelke Whip 62" 55# @ 28" drawn to 32"

Posts: 1049 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toddster
2017 Contributor
Member # 1722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddster   Email toddster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the "shaggy" ghille suit, just the regular ASAT wool clothes. I can tell you this, I have gotten closer to more deer and turkey with this camo then any other I have used. Example, Last year I came upon a hill top funnel, that deer run, and the wind was right. It had very little if any cover. I threw my torges seat on a tree and sat there. About 30 minutes after sunrise, I had a 10 point buck come in from a picked corn field. He walked 10 yards in front of me with no cover between us. I said what the heck and came up and drew, and shot him. He ran 40 yards and down. He never knew I was there. Was amazed got away with it. AFter I sat there for 20 more minutes in awe, had 4 does come pass me at 5 yards that had no idea.
Posts: 1269 | From: Decatur, illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©