3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » A Change in Strategy Question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Change in Strategy Question
Bob Foster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Foster   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Foster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can’t sit in a tree stand for hours like I used to. I used to be able to sit until 11: AM or noon without any problems.
My back and knees just won’t allow me so I’m thinking about changing my strategy, at least for the upcoming rut.

Instead of getting into the stand between 5:30 to 6:30AM, I’m planning going in between 8: AM and 9:AM.

I’m interested in here your thoughts.

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 138 | From: Northern Michigan | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARCHER2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ARCHER2   Email ARCHER2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good plan.

--------------------
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 1707 | From: Bastrop, Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd take the sunrise shift and leave the stand earlier: 6:00 to 9:30AM rather than 8:30 AM to 11:00AM.

I guess it depends on whether you're hunting a travel, bedding or feeding area.

Hereabouts the first half-hour after sunrise and last half-hour before sunset are the best times. My spot is beside very heavy cover and I get them coming and going from where they bed up.

In fact, 15 minutes before sunset is THE time to be waiting for movement at my primary stand.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4057 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Foster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Foster   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Foster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from my ailments, it seems like when I leave my stands early I jump deer. Also, with the rut starting to ramp up, I’m see more deer movement on my ride home. I feel like it’s a no win situation for me. I love being in the stand at day break especially the first hour but I feeling like I’m missing out on the deer movement mid-morning until noon. Am I making too big of a deal out of this?
Posts: 138 | From: Northern Michigan | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw five bucks yesterday morning 1 at first light other 4 were between 9 and 12:15

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Northern Mist Baraga , Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 674 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the old saying goes:

"The early bird gets the worm. Bit the second mouse gets the cheese."

When I hunted public land it was as important to pattern the other hunters as well as the deer. There would be pre and post lunch & pee breaks when the deer would button-hook around the "hunters" (who were not hunting at that point - just walking or driving ATVs out & back in).

There are two best times to be in the woods:

A.) When the deer are there, and failing that
II.) Every chance you get.

Figuring out when deer are in the area you are hunting is part of the art of pre-season scouting.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4057 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get in stand at least 30 minutes before shooting light. I got tired of bumping deer in the dark. Anymore I either walk in during legal shooting light, or time it so I hit the stand at legal time.
During the prerut and rut I think late morning can be just as good if not better than first light especially for hunting bucks. The downwind side of bedding areas is my favorite spot to catch bucks cruising for a hot doe.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 761 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOHO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOHO   Email BOHO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’d say it depends on pressure and the moon. Check your cameras and see when deer seem to be moving the most and hunt accordingly.

--------------------
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Tom

Posts: 2510 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toddster
2017 Contributor
Member # 1722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddster   Email toddster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need more Information, of layout of property, deer movement. Anymore, I either get into stand way early (october) or wait till I have enough light to stalk using bino's to where hunting. I have found on public land this time of year, splits into two groups, the all dayers and the early morning. I have waited until all the hunters are done with the area, then stalk in with good luck
Posts: 1285 | From: Decatur, illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd take the early shift and just get in a hair later than say 5:30? I'd try to hit legal shooting light on the button. That will allow you to stay until 9:30-10ish? You might also try fiddling around more on stand? I do it a lot getting up stretching etc at least in a treestand. Are you hunting on the ground?
Posts: 2584 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little secret around here-- most everyone believes they need to get in before daylight and they bump deer. Bumped equals educated. Deer bed earlier and then move after most of these guys have sat for three hours and given up. Deer are much better at patterning us than we are them. When you step into the woods your stepping into their house. I think youre spot on woth your strategy.
Posts: 534 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the public marsh where I hunt, I hunt the evenings almost exclusively. I hate getting up early and even when I do, I prefer to sneak in under first actual light, not needing a flashlight or bumbling around.

During the actual two to three weeks of pre gun season rut that we have, deer can be running anywhere at any time. But... generally, the bucks start moving here about 1.5 hours prior to the end of shooting and the does about 30 minutes prior to the end of shooting and it has been that way for a long time... here.

Posts: 7326 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had luck both ways. A lot depends on the situation but my suggestion is try it both ways. Hunt the weather patterns and the property.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17182 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodchucker
Contributor 2017
Member # 2822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodchucker   Email woodchucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After Breakfast... Right, Charlie!!?? Lol

--------------------
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 5613 | From: Dutchess Co. New York | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocWolf
Member # 46291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocWolf   Email DocWolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like walking in during the greylight. I will suggest climbing down and stretching a little bit when the legs and back start acting up. Maybe hunt from the ground or stand by the tree for a little and then get back in the stand.

Whatever you decide, make sure it is enjoyable and have fun.

--------------------
"A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion." Unknown

Posts: 21 | From: NW, North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©