3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » How far from your stand? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How far from your stand?
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do ya park? Be it truck or 4 wheeler etc?

W the truck there are spots I have to walk 1000 yds

But w the wheeler I get as close as I can....I think the wheeler is less disruptive than me actually walking through
Tim B

Posts: 621 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum Head
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Possum Head   Email Possum Head   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Varies with me as I hunt public land and use my bike or canoe to escape the madness. My bike rides are probably 1000 yds with a short walk to follow and my canoe usually much less distance perhaps 100-400 yd paddle with a 100 -400 yd walk from the water.
Posts: 2093 | From: Hurley, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I walk out the back door to the woods just one flight shot away.

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1741 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1000 yds is about a 1/2 mile. I'd just walk ( if possible) to avoid the detection.
With people using ATVs etc today I'd think 1/2 mile wouldn't get you far from other folks.
Remember you picked that stand spot for a reason. Why drive in a screw it all up.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 914 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Lail
Contributor 2013
Member # 3084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Lail   Email T Lail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on our farm it varies......sometimes drive the tractor within 50 yards of one stand....had a scrape made right beside my Jeep once in our open pasture......so go figure ????? [dunno]

--------------------
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Posts: 1177 | From: Vale, NC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
500 yards on the short ones, over a mile on the long one.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5853 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BAK
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAK   Email BAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only hunt private ground so seldom over 1/4 mile anymore.

--------------------
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Posts: 1086 | From: NE Iowa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends..... on a lot of things. I generally walk in though, have little fear of walking.

Back in Illinois ( in the 70s), public land shotgun season, I remember one fella parked right under his tree every year, and he generally got shooting. Doubt that would work for bow hunting though.

Posts: 7296 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have no fear of walking? At the moment, I can barely walk. Moving leaves around this noon, I got a sneezing fit that took me to the ground. A perfect day for my wife to get close to her 14" six pointer again and not shoot. She had it around her for 10 to 12 minutes last night, as close as 5 or 6 yards and she said she never had a chance to get the bow up. She claimed it had made her and kept staring her down from different positions. It is one of those things when one is a semi-still hunter. You can get into things that blind or tree sitter closer to the car does not.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5853 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstick   Email Blackstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my property the closest is 230 yards and the farthest is 800. When I ground hunt on public land, it could be any distance.
Posts: 512 | From: NE Indiana | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOHO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOHO   Email BOHO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me. Bad knees and when it’s cold they ache even more. I hunt private ground and usually park around 100 yards from my stand. I pull off in the brush and kind of hide the bike but it is black and forest green so it doesn’t draw much attention. I just make sure I’m walking into the wind to my stand.

--------------------
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Tom

Posts: 2498 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pavan. maybe I should add " at the moment" ( I have little fear of walking). I hurt my knee last night, and although there is no pain when relaxed, if I make a certain move ( almost like hyperextending the leg) i feel it.... wowie !
Posts: 7296 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fnshtr
Contributor 2017
Member # 18653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fnshtr   Email fnshtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a 4 wheeler for getting within 100 yards of a few of my stands, walk up to a mile to another, and sometimes have my wife drop me off within a couple hundred yards of another.

I was scheduled to have a knee replaced until they diagnose me with A-fib. Today I carried my Summit stand, fanny pack and extra clothes a mile back to the house. I just keep pushing it.

--------------------
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Posts: 2680 | From: Rockport West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on where I'm hunting. I'm pretty much always on public and certain areas I walk waaaaaaay back in. Others I can shoot an arrow back to the truck.
Posts: 469 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My SUV stays in the garage and I walk 300 yards to my stand. ;-)

Stand #2 is about 700 yards from my back door.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4009 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©