3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Grunt calls (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Grunt calls
Tedd
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tedd   Email Tedd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just modified my Holden grunt call. I put a stretch out rubber tube from a commercial call on it in lieu of the more rigid that came with it.
I think the call with the un stretched tube sounds exactly like it did before the modification. But the stretch tube gives a lot of variation if desired. I have not yet had a deer respond to any call or rattle this year. Maybe this will change my luck!
Tedd

Posts: 2532 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TradBrewSC
2017 Contributor
Member # 37182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TradBrewSC   Email TradBrewSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a lone star call on here a couple of years ago.

No sure if he is still making them or not?

Posts: 914 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntryx
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntryx   Email huntryx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why I have any faith at all in a grunt call-- had one excellent response a few years ago but not much positive I can clearly connect to grunting since. I keep at it, trying new ones looking for the right sound. I have a drawer full of them. So far the old Woodswise "Buc n Doe" sounds best to me-- I have several (you know, in case I lose one in the woods) but only one of them has the right pitch. Looking for a younger, less intimidating sound. The deep grunt makes a lot of deer run off. More like a "quack" is what I am thinking.

And rattling? Around here, forgetaboutit....

--------------------
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The Perfection of Imperfection"

Posts: 2531 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Nocking Point
SPONSOR
Member # 26001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nocking Point   Author's Homepage   Email The Nocking Point   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeremy Holden nuff said
Terry

--------------------
The Nocking Point
Like us on Facebook
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Posts: 2672 | From: Log cabin in Osage county Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horsey
Member # 3178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horsey   Email Horsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would rather go into the deer woods without my boots than without my grunt call. Mine is an old Carlton call that makes no sound but a simple grunt. I never grunt unless I can see the deer and it appears that the deer is not on a path to come past me. I give single grunts consecutively louder until the deer reacts by stopping or turning his head. At that point, I know I have his undivided attention. I then give one or two low, muffled grunts and put the call up. At least half the time, the buck will change direction and come in. I have never had a buck spook from the call and does totally ignore it.

--Mike

Posts: 70 | From: Perry, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2015
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Jeremy Holden user here. I've had some amazing responses - they certainly do work. Not every time, but often enough that I will try it every time that I see a buck that is not on a path in my direction.

--------------------
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 10429 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Russell
Sponsor
Member # 2613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine hunting the pre rut without a grunt tube. I call in 4-6 bucks per year that would not have come into range. Right now in Georgia the bucks are on fire. I called in three in 2.5 days. Timing is EVERYTHING with a grunt call. While it can work outside the hottest pre rut phase, that is certainly when the responses will be the most dramatic.

--------------------
Guided hunts for Canada Bear and Georgia Bear,Turkey, Hogs, Alligator, Deer and African Plains Game. We specialize in traditional archery hunts.
Visit us at:
http://www.russelloutdoorguides.com

Posts: 1038 | From: Georgia/Quebec | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GDPolk:
I like my handmade calls from Jeremy Holden. When used at the right time, they can work well.

Yes!!!!!....I'm very fond of wood and he makes some DANDYS!!!!

I've had deer ignore them...but never spook...

I've called in more than my share...and killed most of them.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30764 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarrinG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarrinG   Email DarrinG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still carry an old early 90's Knight & Hale grunt tube style call. Like others have said, I only use it when I see a buck and he is heading away from me, to try to turn him around.

--------------------
Mark 1:17

Posts: 256 | From: Western NC | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KSshrewman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 33405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSshrewman   Email KSshrewman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J. Holden! I had him made a couple from Osage and burn around the edges. They are beautifully and I credit that call with bringing in several nice KS bucks.

--------------------
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3 At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Posts: 509 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BRONZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRONZ   Author's Homepage   Email BRONZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TruTalker. I'm and aggressive caller and it is by far the most effective grunt call I've ever used!

--------------------
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Posts: 1290 | From: Butler Co. Kansas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stillhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stillhunter   Email stillhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeremy Holden contact? Can not seem to find it. Thanks.
Posts: 154 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dhaverstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dhaverstick   Author's Homepage   Email dhaverstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a believer in supporting the local talent so all my deer and turkey calls come from Missouri artisans. I have an osage doe grunter and an osage buck grunter made by Vince Crawford of VECtor Calls that are fantastic! Used in tandem with a can call, I have brought in a ton of bucks with that buck grunter.

Vince also made my goto turkey call - a ceramic-over-slate pot call that toms cannot resist!

Darren

Posts: 653 | From: Fair Grove, MO | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stillhunter:
Jeremy Holden contact? Can not seem to find it. Thanks.

SPONSOR CLASSIFIEDS....next to last on the 1st page...

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30764 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyle Lancaster
Contributor 2016
Member # 1333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kyle Lancaster   Email Kyle Lancaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious responses. Next to my bow don't go in the woods without my Tru talker especially this time of year
Posts: 1410 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©