3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Old does using the force? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Old does using the force?
WVFarrier
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 46726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WVFarrier   Email WVFarrier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am super religious about my scent control and cover scents while hunting. I can spot n stalk with the best of them.....but in a ststic location (ground blind)....those old does bust me every time. I closed all the viewing port except the one i was looking out of, thinking maybe they saw me, nope...the very next doe started blowing. im telling ya, they have some version of the Jedi force. A little while later, i snuck right uo on them. im baffled

--------------------
As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i shall fear no evil, for thou art with me

Posts: 43 | From: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No trophy buck is as sharp or cagey as a 6 year old dominant doe. A buck on has to cover his butt while a matriarch is looking out for her herd, along with showing them all the ropes. They are always on alert and have a lot of tricks to catch you with.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand, and my fletching is about as left-wing as I get.

Posts: 779 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a big doe with triplets bust me a couple times last week. they came into 40 yards and even though they couldn't see me balled up in my gillie suit (I think) she still knew something wasn't right. she left in haste then came back after an hour. same results.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17131 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, they are cagey

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 1010 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who do you think taught those big smart old bucks all they know?? [dunno] Some old mule faced doe....that's who. [saywhat]

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15815 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toddster
2017 Contributor
Member # 1722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddster   Email toddster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I have always felt that an old Doe is as educated or more than an old buck. If you can fool them, you can fool any deer.
Posts: 1271 | From: Decatur, illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mule deer does are also near mystical in their survival skills.

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4192 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is the blind and not you?

"There is a big suspicious looking thing that wasn't here last month."

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4021 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joeabowhunter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joeabowhunter   Email Joeabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Maybe it is the blind and not you?

"There is a big suspicious looking thing that wasn't here last month."

I agree. The deer around here can spot anything out of the norm from a long way off... Ground blinds are a waste of time if they haven't been there for months.
Posts: 1372 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitetail does are tough. Imagine anything new in your front room. Do you notice it? Well how about your wife?

Now you know why does are so smart.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9348 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old does know every stick, every rock and every bush in their home range, anything new or out of place is immediately noticed. Everywhere they go when young deer are just cruising along the Old Lady is Poppin' and Lockin' like a break dancer checking every twig.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand, and my fletching is about as left-wing as I get.

Posts: 779 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If smell, sound & sight are ruled out, move on to the indirect senses. Could the birds or squirrels tip her off to your presence? Are they making alarm or agitation calls? Is there an absence of baseline calls from a particular species (zone of silence = possible danger). Some species are more shy than others and may be avoiding the area while you're there. Others are quite unperturbed by humans and will make you feel more hidden than you are. Are you visible from above? Lots of possibilities beyond the senses of the deer itself.

Can't say I know much on the topic -- just enough to ask more questions. In my stretch of woods, the grouse are among the most sensitive to my presence. Juncos, nuthatches and chickadees are the least. And that's just what I have been able to observe. I'm sure there's plenty that I'm missing.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 622 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage   Email DeerSpotter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff guys,

BUT no matter how many times we get busted it is still a whole bunch of fun !!!

DS

Posts: 1872 | From: St. Paul,MN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pointer
Contributor 2015
Member # 11915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pointer   Email Pointer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toughest deer in the woods to kill, dude...no joke
Posts: 959 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pointer:
Toughest deer in the woods to kill, dude...no joke

I have been busted by mature does way more than anything else. Every now and then I get revenge though! [Wink]

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 1010 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©