3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Just a writing suggestion (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Just a writing suggestion
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I use my voice typer, I get all kinds of happy accidents, as Bob Ross would put it. But,ontheotherhandthechechallengetofigurestuffoutcanbefunaswell. Sometimes. I do need to remember to proof read.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5864 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moebow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moebow   Email moebow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with all the above. One I've seen frequently especially lately is "I shoot a #50 bow."

I keep wondering what a "number" 50 bow is. The "#" used BEFORE a numeral is short for the word "NUMBER." When the "#" is used AFTER a numeral, it is short for the word "pounds."

This is the first and only time I will "rant" on this one. [knothead]

Arne

--------------------
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Posts: 2369 | From: Grand Rapids, Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hate to discourage anyone from trying to communicate on this forum because of their compositional skills. Really, it’s not our problem if someone communicates poorly, it’s their’s. The worst that can happen to us is that we can’t understand what the person is trying to say, so we move on. The person who made the post doesn’t get his question answered or his point made, and probably feels frustrated.

Frankly, it’s not the worst thing that happens on this forum. Very rarely, people are not respectful to other members or make absurd claims that other people have to refute. The moderators are pretty good about weeding these things out, but still, when they happen they are worse than grammatical errors or poor composition.

I would imagine that people who post on this forum are doing the best they can.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4214 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skychief
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skychief   Email skychief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand where you are coming from Eric.

Best regards, Skychief

Posts: 555 | From: indiana | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grey Taylor
Contributor 2007
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grey Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Grey Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There will always be those who have to write in their own, unique regional accent.
But, personally, I'll always prefer "arrow" to "arra."

Guy

--------------------
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Posts: 2058 | From: Lucerne Valley, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Mitchell
Contributor 2017
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Mitchell   Email David Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that is common on forums and in real life--"I could care less" when what they really mean is "I COULDN'T care less." If you could care less then it means that to some degree you DO care.
Posts: 4096 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the post, Eric.

I live with MS had have double vision as a constant companion. The big blocks of text without any paragraph breaks leave me dizzy and unable to follow the correct line as my eye pans downward. It is pretty frustrating for someone who lived their (there, they're [Roll Eyes] ) life as a voracious reader.

If you can hit "Enter" from time to time as you share a story (which I really AM interested in hearing!), I am yet another Trad Ganger who would R-E-A-L-L-Y appreciate it.

For me, it's not a matter of being picky, it's a matter of being sick, and doing everything I can to hold onto a sport... and a site... that was very important to me in my "former life"!

Thanks,

Daryl

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Posts: 1858 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hate to miss out on something important or a good story because I made fun of someones writing. Maybe we can all do better but no need to ridicule some one because English is not their first language,education,or typos. They might not write again if made to feel self conscious. Just a thought.>>>----> Ken
Posts: 202 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
You nailed one of the ones that bugs me ('couldn't care less').

It also bugs me when I see 'ideal' being used instead of 'idea' when someone is describing their worthy brainstorm.

As most here have stated, I also agree with K Butler that no one should be hesitant about posting for fear they would use a poor word choice or make a grammatical error. It is your thoughts that interest us more than the language you use.

I remember several years ago, before I had posted much here, I didn't realize one could edit their post. Some kind person here (I can't remember who but maybe KY TJ?) sent me a PM to let me know I could make edits.

I've used that function a bunch!! Seems like when I'm typing the thoughts I don't catch the errors, but when I read over the post, they are obvious.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5876 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeyebowhunter
Cadet Member
Member # 12819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeyebowhunter   Email buckeyebowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I might make another suggestion. Please take the time to learn to embed pictures into your post instead of links to them. There are plenty of videos and tutorials online. It only takes a second and also makes a much more pleasant read.
Posts: 803 | From: Southeastern,Ohio | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the years I've learned to bite my tongue on various fora (that's correct; the plural of forum is fora) regarding proper terminology and grammar. While it bugs me to no end, I realize it's not everyone's bag. So I post this tongue in cheek somewhat...some of the ones that really get me are:
Knock (for nock)
Too (for to)
Hay (for Hey)
Breaks (for brakes)
Loose or loosing (for lose or losing)
There (for they're or their)
And of course, the improper use of the apostrophe...
But again, It doesn't stop me from reading or enjoying posts. I know what the OP is trying to relay whether or not it's spelled or punctuated correctly. But I do find myself reading my own posts and correcting errors and hoping nobody reads them before me!

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 672 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ranger 3
Contributor 2014
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ranger 3   Email ranger 3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a smart man, but I do know about love.

--------------------
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Posts: 3209 | From: il | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fnshtr
Contributor 2017
Member # 18653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fnshtr   Email fnshtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain, that's one long paragraph there!

[biglaugh]

J/K

--------------------
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Posts: 2681 | From: Rockport West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fnshtr:
Captain, that's one long paragraph there!

[biglaugh]

J/K

Should I go back and edit? Inquiring minds want to know! [biglaugh]

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 672 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step 1. Bookmark this thread.

Step 2. Link this thread to any thread where the listed violations occur.

Step 3. Watch it continue to occur daily in spite of your best efforts.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7359 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©