INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Aluminum 2317s

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aluminum 2317s
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 11 unfinished 34" Easton 2317 shafts, the 12th is cut for bareshafting I assume.

My bows are 50#, 51#, & 58# at 28". Would I be wasting time trying to tune these to my bows with the expectation of decent flight? Not necessarily for hunting deer, but just for squirrels and shooting and stumping. Im sure I would need to leave them long, add tons of weight, or a combination of the two.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 336 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarrinG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarrinG   Email DarrinG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2317's are spined at 297. That's a very stiff spine, probably compatible with heavyweight bows. Is your bows cut to center? Even if they are I'd guess you'll have to weight the front VERY heavy to get decent flight.

--------------------
Mark 1:17

Posts: 256 | From: Western NC | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That’s the arrow I used to use from my 80# Black Widow. I had a 31 inch draw in those days. Now if the risers are cut well past center those could work for short shots
Posts: 2194 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Sage is closest to center, the others arent. Not only are the 2317s a heavy spine, theyre also heavy; 13.3 gpi I think. I just hate having them sitting there doing nothing.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 336 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOHO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOHO   Email BOHO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You’d have to add about 250 or so upfront and it’s gonna drop likes rock past 15 yards.

--------------------
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Tom

Posts: 2500 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need 2016’s.

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Posts: 7604 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don’t feel bad about those arrows sitting there unused. I have dozens left from both myself and our son’s heavy bow weight days. One day they will all be his worry.
Posts: 2194 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newhouse114
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newhouse114   Author's Homepage   Email newhouse114   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm a little different than most, but I try for a very heavy arrow. Since I don't plan on shooting over 30 yards anyway, I get fairly level flight. I shoot about 65 lbs with my whip and shoot a 34" 2419 with 250 up front. I get perfect flight. I shoot the same arrow with my 75 lb recurve. I have also used them with my 45 lb sage and get good flight, just slow!
Posts: 564 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRY309
Contributor 2016
Member # 1191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRY309   Email JRY309   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to shoot 2317 with 145 gr. Bear Razorhead's out of my 80# wheelbow around 20 years back.I stripped them and made flu flu's out of them when I went traditional.They worked good as flu flu's out of my 68# longbow.
Posts: 6206 | From: ohio | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given some 2317. One of my canoe tripping tents with fiberglass poles, it had some crushed poles from years of canoe trip use. I found the 2317 were the exact width. So I redid the poles with 2317s and lightened and stiffened the tent considerably.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5861 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snow Crow
Member # 42714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snow Crow   Email Snow Crow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like fodder for flu flu stumpers!

--------------------
Wanted: Crow willing to fly into my arrow. Blind, deaf and dumb preferred. Mute a bonus. One wing would be good. No legs. With vertigo...

Posts: 68 | From: MN | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

quote:
Originally posted by M60gunner:
Don’t feel bad about those arrows sitting there unused. I have dozens left from both myself and our son’s heavy bow weight days. One day they will all be his worry.

Good one. My son is only 5, so Im sure Ill do something before then.

Its sounding like flu flus at the moment.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
USMC 2005-2010

Zmonster
Contributor 2017
Member # 13563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zmonster   Email Zmonster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good shafts. Some people still use them. Put them up for sale and buy your proper spine. I shoot 2219 and 2317 in bows from 80-110, and sometimes they are difficult to come by.

--------------------
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 1123 | From: Sweating somewhere in FL.... | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©