3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Suggestions on decent pair of hunting boots - for ankle support (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Suggestions on decent pair of hunting boots - for ankle support
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "good" hunting boots bit the dust.

I do have muck boots which I love. I have some Bean boots, which are nice because they are light weight. Neither, however, provide really good ankle support.

I'm recovering from a minor ankle problem. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good fitting boot that they think will work well. I;m guessing it should probably be a high boot with laces to keep my ankle in place.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks ahead!

--------------------
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Posts: 407 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pair of Irish Setters that support my ankles. Not the warmest however. What brand were your good boots ?
Posts: 1414 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bucknut
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucknut   Email bucknut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meindl Denali's are the best I've ever came across. They are a little pricey but last forever if taken care of and far exceed others in comfort.
John

Posts: 565 | From: S. E. Ohio | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobaru, I have worked as an orthopedic nurse for 15+ yrs, what we recommend and what I have used personally for ankle support is an over the counter lace up ankle brace. Easy to use, light and gives good support
Can be worn instead of a stiff boot or worn with a stiff boot for added support.
Just a thought. Should fit inside the muck boot and might save you a few bucks on new boots. Good luck.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 914 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, the boots that wore out were Cabelas. But, I believe they were a Danner boot.

I'll look into the Setters.

Kevin, that's good advise. I have an ankle brace. I'll test it out to see if I can get it to work and let you know.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 407 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the Irish Setters. I have a pair I just put the fourth set of laces on last week!

I have put miles and miles and miles on mine - deer, grouse, showshoeing and just walking the woods - in the last 15 years or so. Still going strong.

I believe mine are the 809 ("Elk Hunter") model.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4009 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katman   Email katman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
Bobaru, I have worked as an orthopedic nurse for 15+ yrs, what we recommend and what I have used personally for ankle support is an over the counter lace up ankle brace. Easy to use, light and gives good support
Can be worn instead of a stiff boot or worn with a stiff boot for added support.
Just a thought. Should fit inside the muck boot and might save you a few bucks on new boots. Good luck.

x2 on the brace.

--------------------
shoot straight shoot often

Posts: 3639 | From: south carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodchucker
Contributor 2017
Member # 2822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodchucker   Email woodchucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irish Setter, Chippewa, Georgia, Carolina, Danner.....
Lots of good boot makers out there!!! It's the "style" that makes the differance!

What you want, is a good "Logger" style boot. Forget about all the so called "Hunting Boots"... What you want is a sturdy, insulated boot, that is made for the woods. They will be HEAVY, and EXPENSIVE, and they will also last you for years.
Loggers make their living in the woods. Every day, hard work and abuse, in rugged terrain and conditions. Their boots are as important as their chainsaw... If it doesn't hold up, it's a waste of money!!!

--------------------
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 5605 | From: Dutchess Co. New York | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ty_in_ND
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ty_in_ND   Email ty_in_ND   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just picked up a pair of Irish Setters, too. I'm not sure the specific offshoot (I think they were Deer Trackers), but they are great! I walked up and down some pretty steep hills with a lot of thick underbrush and I had no troubles with my ankles. It was also around O degrees out and my feet were nice and toasty. Finally, another time I was out, I was walking near a slough and there was a patch that wasn't completely frozen yet. Had water past my ankles, but my feet were nice and dry!

--------------------
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Posts: 82 | From: Grand Forks, North Dakota | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Last evening, I put on the brace I had and then put on my Muck boots. The one with the brace was a little tight. But, I walked around the house for a couple hours with it that way. It worked just fine.

Went hunting today. Through the brace in my pack just in case I started coming up lame. The really good news is that my ankle was able to handle the stress of walking through muddy fields - without the brace.

Bad news is I didn't see any deer.

But, considering that I'm able to finally "get around," I'll take that good news over not seeing a deer.

Thanks for the advise. The brace is in my pack and it does protect my ankle really well.

--------------------
Bob

kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on you. I wear my brace quite a bit this time of year.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 914 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenetrek

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand, and my fletching is about as left-wing as I get.

Posts: 779 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lace up brace sounds like an excellent idea!

Combined with the right boot and I think you would have double protection and the extra suppert you need.

I would not overlook a quality after market insole as well or even a custom made one specifically for you to add in reducing stress and impact.

Posts: 4895 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenetrex or meindls great boots worth every penny

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3180 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got ankles that were sprained in sports so many times in my younger days that they'll roll on a twig. I used to "push back" and make it worse, but over the years I've trained myself to just go with it and hit the ground, lol. I like my Danner Frontiers. This model may no longer be available, but when I got them they were made in USA and definitely a cold weather boot with 1000 gram Thinsulate. I just had them resoled for the first time, which is a nice feature. I seem to get the best ankle support with the lacing pattern that has an eye or "speed" hook that's offset back when you get about the level of the top of your foot. My Danners as well as my favorite hiking boot (Asolo) have that feature.

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1656 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©