3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Stickers comes home. 4 seasons in the making. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stickers comes home. 4 seasons in the making.
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have been chasing a buck that I call Stickers for 4 seasons now. Up until 2 days ago, I had only seen him twice during daylight. Once, just after the 2014/15 season closed, and once last year at dawn at 40 yards away and on the move.

I was lucky enough to see him enter a field two days ago, coming from the NW, through brush cover which would not allow for a good ambush spot. He ended up feeding in the south end of the field. I said to myself, if he needs there during a north wind, he may be in trouble.

Posts: 5580 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quickly put up a stand this morning in a copse of trees in the previously mentioned field, knowing that the wind was to be out of the North today. I got into the stand around 2 pm, and shortly thereafter had a small buck cruise by and by around 4 I had those feeding in the field on the North Edge.

With around an hour of daylight left, the wind died down and started to swirl. The wind currents were carrying my sent right to the portion of the field that Stickers was browsing in previously. Even though there were dough in the field already, I made the decision to move to a different stand in the drainage southeast of the field right on the edge.

Posts: 5580 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

I was in the new treestand for only 15 minutes when other doe came into the field from the NW, and it wasn't too much longer until Stickers entered as well. A couple.smaller buck had entered from the East, and chased them away, and started to feed near where he fed then other day, but daylight was fading.

Fortunately for me, a doe came into the field around 70 yards to my west, and he put his head down and started half-heartedly chasing her, stopping nearly broadside 15 yards from me.

I took the shot, and he whirled back to the Northwest through the field, but I lost sight of him due to the fading light and the Contour of the field, and I could not be certain of where I hit him in the low light.

I texted a couple of friends and told them what had happened and I thought I may have shot a little low by the way the buck reacted. I waited around a half an hour and turned on my green light to come out of the stand, and deer were snorting all over the field and I could hear them running. I hoped that one of them was not stickers, because that would almost certainly mean that I had wasted my last opportunity for this buck.

I got down out of the stand and was unable initially to find my arrow or any blood, so I slowly made my way in the direction that he ran shining my light ahead into the field. I had switch to a strong flashlight, and I I was very relieved and happy to see a white belly around 70 yards in a slight depression in the field.

This is as he was when I found him, and I eventually found the arrow. That is the exit wound, and he either turned a little at the shot, or wasn't completely broadside.

-

-

pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Some more pics.

-

-

-

pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

-

-

-

-
 -

pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

And here is a pic from the first time I saw him.

-

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Pat!! What do you think his age is , 7.5 or 8.5?
They never seem to live that long here!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12025 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Thanks. I am not the best at judging,, but I know he isn't less than 6.6, and I am kinda leaning towards 7.5. I don't think he is 8.5. If my property had more road access, I doubt that he would have made it this long, if you know what I mean.
cacciatore
Contributor 2017
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cacciatore   Email cacciatore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Pat, I am glad you have taken that nice buck.

--------------------
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Posts: 9136 | From: Italy/Colorado | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attaboy!!
Very unique
Tim B

Posts: 621 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blueridge
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blueridge   Author's Homepage   Email Blueridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Buck Pat! Congratulations.

--------------------
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Posts: 1062 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a fine buck and the character of the rack is awesome-congrats on sealing the deal.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 3085 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fnshtr
Contributor 2017
Member # 18653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fnshtr   Email fnshtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, must be very gratifying to harvest him. You sure did good!

[clapper] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Posts: 2680 | From: Rockport West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on a great buck pat I know it's been a long journey way to get it done!!

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3180 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD   Email SteveD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Great Buck Pat Congrats
Posts: 894 | From: Staten Island,NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©