3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 2017, A Season of Blessings and Bloodtrails!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 2017, A Season of Blessings and Bloodtrails!!!
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little bit on this property, a mutual friend of Travis Kasner (KAZ) and I bought this last fall and has granted us permission to hunt it. It's fairly small but has some diverse habitat that deer call home and it also connects to some bigger timber that then connects to a river about 3/4 of a mile away!

Although bucks weren't living on his place we knew that they were close by and would be using his place as they started cruising for does.
One spot in particular stuck out to me!
All the timber necked down between three differant fields and it all got pinched together at a creek crossing, it screamed Hunt Me!!!! [goldtooth]

Our friend granted me permission to also use his Bobcat to clear paths through the timber to help hunt it a little easier.
Now this creek stand is tucked down in this bottom that gets tricky to hunt without wind swirling on you, the best wind is SE and it just so happened that Tuesday morning was calling for SSE wind [thumbsup]
I had a hard time keeping my left leg from twitching all day Monday due to the anticipation of the hunt!!!!

[campfire]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1508 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------

Posts: 1508 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KAZ   Email KAZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]
Posts: 940 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

quote:
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
Dang... just when I start thinking I know how to tell a story Tradgang goes and humbles me again. Very nice! Looking forward to the details!

You my Brother are an excalent story teller, I was inspired by yours!
[Not Worthy]

--------------------

23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

My two previous sits prior to this hunt were afternoon hunts and the deer action was very slow which lined up with the moon guide.
To say my anticipation was high on this morning would be an understatement!
One half hour before shooting time found me all set in my stand listening to my first deer work through the pinch point, to dark to see but it's motion told me it was a cruising buck.
Ok, good start!
The spot this stand is in is conducive to have deer come from any direction so as it starts getting light my head is on a swivel!
There was a light shower during the night so hearing deer at a distance was unlikely due to damp leaves.

First light I spot a small buck to my west in a hay field about 60 yards away and despite a couple of grunts he wouldn't come closer for a better look.
A few min later I see a doe and fawn at the top of the hay field about 150 yards to the west.
20 min goes by and I see a doe and fawn step into the hay field to my west at about 50 and she's nervous [saywhat]

She feeds for a bit then stares into the timber in my direction kind of but more past me, now my wind is blowing past her but really she should would have to go 40 yards back the way she came to get in my scent stream so I didn't feel like it was me she was nervous about!
A min later another doe steps out of the timber where the first doe was looking just as a small buck steps out further up the hill, things are looking good!!!!
Well I think that these are the deer that she was looking at but she continues her pacing and foot stomping so I keep my binos on the brush, I'm reworded with movement and then there's antlers [goldtooth]

--------------------

South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow TradGang stories now with their own Metrics!

--------------------
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Posts: 4066 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

So he steps into the field and I get a brief unabsructed view of his left side and my brain says Shooter!
The does scatter at his presance and he dosnt seam to be interested in anyone impaticilar so I take advantage of the situation and grab the doe bleat can out of my pocket and tip it over.....
He snaps his head in my direction and I tip it over again, he turns and starts heading my way [jumper]
Now he enters the timber but I can't tell which path he's on but soon see that he took one that kind of leads away from me [help]
He hit the bottom of the hill and turned the corner following the path I cut with the Bobcat!
Now I know he's going to be in my setup in a matter of moments and upwind!
One slight problem now is that he's trotting at a pretty good clip, he's in a hurry to cross the creek to find that doe he heard.
I know I'm guna need to stop him and with his speed and a smallish window to get him to stop ill have one shot at it!
He trots out behind the cover and I give him a pretty good Murp!!!

He stops on command, I pick my spot, draw, hit anchor and the arrow is on its way [archer2]
The arrow hits perfect only after a slight drop from him right before the arrow gets there, He's Too Late!!!!!
It bounces through him in a second and my heart jumps because I know he's a dead buck walking!!!

He takes a couple leaps which puts him in the bottom of the creek and he turns to look back at what he heard/seen, after a few seconds his back end starts to droop..... [goldtooth]
I watch as he struggles to try and walk the creek bed on legs that won't work and then he's out of sight.......
Fist pump in the air and soak in the moment [archer]

--------------------

23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

This is a view of the setup right after the shot!

-

--------------------

23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

After some texts with KAZ I get down and find my bloddy arrow....

-

Then look down the creek and see white!

-

--------------------

23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

I started down into the creek bed looking for blood as I went, not much at fist but I got to where he stoped and started picking up some red [goldtooth]

-

A little further....

-

Not a gusher but enough to fallow,

-

-

--------------------

Trumpkin the Dwarf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 31043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trumpkin the Dwarf   Email Trumpkin the Dwarf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No!!!! Must see more pictures before work!

--------------------
Malachi C.

"Scar" (retired) Toelke Whip 62" ~70# @ 33"
Unnamed Toelke SS 64" 64# @ 33"

Posts: 1091 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

quote:
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
No!!!! Must see more pictures before work!

Ok, one more before work [goldtooth]

-

--------------------

J. Cook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 20751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Cook   Email J. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a year Ben - congratulations! [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Posts: 1273 | From: Kannapolis, NC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

I finally got my first good look at him....
So I'll continue to be transparent here and say he had some ground shrinkage.....
It took me a few moments to process this as I looked him over and I am fighting the urge to be disappointed [dunno]

Expectations are funny things [knothead]

I correct my thought process and start soaking in My Blessing that God had for Me [pray]

His final resting place!

-

A view from where he came

-

He's 5 on the right with a broken Brow
And 4 on the left.

-

I happy on so many accounts, nice buck, quick clean kill, a hunt that played out just like I had invisioned it!!!
Father I accept this gift with Thanksgiving as the perfect blessing from you [pray]

-

--------------------

SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done sir , Great buck....

,,,Sam,,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2727 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©