3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Howard Hill "Swing Draw" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Howard Hill "Swing Draw"
Phillip Fields
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Fields   Email Phillip Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the swing draw and I've killed many critters. If you set your arm when an animal is closing and he hangs up just out of range how long can you hold your bow up?

--------------------
Keep em Sharp!

Posts: 341 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not how you move that gets you busted, it's when you move. Shooting the bow requires movement... period.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11323 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
It's not how you move that gets you busted, it's when you move. Shooting the bow requires movement... period.

That pretty much sums it up!

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3466 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.S.TRAPPER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K.S.TRAPPER   Email K.S.TRAPPER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie has a way with words doesn't he [bigsmyl]

He's 100% right too [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Tracy

--------------------
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Posts: 3341 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bakes168
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bakes168   Author's Homepage   Email Bakes168   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely agree that the swing draw has it's place and I wouldn't hesitate to use it given the right situation. My point was simply that I would not attempt it when that uber wary matriarch doe is closing the distance on a calm evening. Mr. Schulz made it sound like any other way was the wrong way to shoot.

Toddster, I had considered that. Any of the old bow hunting films I see they are mostly on the ground taking quick shots at game which is often moving. A swing draw would certainly be the better method in such a situation.

--------------------
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Posts: 574 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zach, the point with John's teaching is that he was teaching how Howard Hill shot a longbow and the advantages of that method with a longbow. I like John's chapter in his book, 'HOLD IT, you're wrong'. When one shoots longbows with that method for enough years, it makes sense and it works. If your crunch time method is static and straight back and straight up, a nice long stable recurve shooting split finger and possibly bow sights would be a better option and leave the swing draw fast stuff alone.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5901 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiknstringer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiknstringer   Email stiknstringer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on the situation. Howard Hill describes in his book Hunting the Hard Way about one situation when he was sneaking up on a ground squirrel and he drew his bow first while he was behind the tree and then stepped out to take the shot.
Posts: 244 | From: Bear, Delaware | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bakes... I agree with your assessment. Many of us believe there is only one correct way to shoot....the way WE do it.

Do it the way you need to, there are certain factors that come together to help one shoot / aim better, but there are usually many ways to achieve that .

Worried about that doe ? When you pick your spot make certain that there are "things" out there that obstruct her vision temporarily and make use of them. Trees, leafed out branches and similar. For turkeys, heck try even making obstructions.

Posts: 7322 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right. It just doesn't work.

-

[ December 04, 2017, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Charlie Lamb ]

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 891 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See Greg there you go. Those all white bows need an awful lot of silencers on them. I really would look for another way to tie them on.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5901 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

That'd be a big picture.

--------------------
Pavan

ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody said it doesn't work. What is being said is it is not for everybody.
Posts: 7322 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Hill style longbows are not for everybody either. Nothing wrong with that, certain bows are simply better with different techniques.

--------------------
Pavan

Bakes168
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bakes168   Author's Homepage   Email Bakes168   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said it doesn't work [knothead]

--------------------
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Posts: 574 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swing draw when the shot calls for it....

I mostly pre raise my bow about 90% of the way on hunting shots, but it I wouldn't have taken the time to learn to swing draw I would have missed out on many kills.

It helps the bowhunter to learn to shoot both ways to capitalize on the opportunity of choice when the window opens.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31113 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©