3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Howard Hill "Swing Draw" (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Howard Hill "Swing Draw"
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Have "several arrows in your quiver" when it comes to draw styles. Options are a great thing.

There are times a "snap-shot" all at once may be the shot you have and you only have a half-second to act. Also good for running bunnies.

Not the time to be raising and locking your bow arm before drawing.

Practice all three: locked arm, push-pull, swing arm.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4057 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that guys like Schultz & Hill are already exceptional shooters. While it may work for them, it may also work in spite of them. The problem with copying the methods of those who are exceptional is that it may not work for the average Joe. The average Joe (or the multitudes of average Joes) may expose the flaw that the exceptional shooter may work through without noticing. I like ideas that work for Joe Sixpack, not Hill, Schultz, etc. Those methods are harder to screw up.

But methods aside, you'd be hard-pressed to tell me that there's only one way to do anything. There's only what works for you and what doesn't work for you. Trial and error are the best ways to learn anything.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 649 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you view some old videos of Howard Hill shooting, you'll notice that he didn't always use the swing draw. Sometimes he used more of a push/pull like Fred Bear.

Swing draw, push/pull, static arm. They're all good. I practice and use all of them depending on the circumstances.

Posts: 8623 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the current 'push podcast', they speak of focus speed. Some are wired, fast others are wired slower. Certain levels of arm strength come into play as well, with how one draws a bow into action. One tall skinny kid noticed that Hill had a dogleg in his bow arm. He was about the same length as Hill. He could easily do it to get a 28" draw with my training bow, but could not begin to do that with a 45 or 55 pound bow, he either had to goose neck or he simply collapsed. When someone argues the straight arm with a straight grip longbow being universally superior and the only way, they may be defending their own lack of arm strength. In such situations exact emulating of Hill's shooting may not be the best way to go. Fortunately, there are other bows that are better for that shooting style. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5901 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether I pre point, push pull, or swing I still snap shoot. How or when I draw the bow doesn't have anything to do with my final execution form...all roads lead me to the same destination at release.

Good thread BTW.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31113 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toddster
2017 Contributor
Member # 1722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddster   Email toddster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aspect I see, my opinion and am just as guilty, is most do not put the time in to become great shots. Yes we shoot and put them all in a pie plate, and run good scores on 3D shoots and harvest animals. But to really master the "swing draw" takes dedication and a whole lot of time. That many of us do not have. Most of us come to this later in life, instead of learning much younger and evolve.
Posts: 1279 | From: Decatur, illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If done properly the swing draw is a smooth ergonomic way of getting the bow into action. The last six inches of straight draw, whether the bow is half swing and half spread or all spread, is where the shot is at. Personally, I find doing a total straight draw causes issues that need correction when I shoot, but sometimes it is the right thing to do when hunting in tick stuff. Drag up draw action and the grip and rip it does not work so good, the aim has to settle before release, even if just for an instant.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5901 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©