3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Handheld GPS? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Handheld GPS?
joebuck
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebuck   Email joebuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PJ...you asked... "does the gaia app truly work from satellites ? Or does it use a cell signal and triangulate with a sattleite ?"

I can operate my GAIA app with my cell in Airplane mode. Plus My deer camp and duck woods has NO cell coverage.

Ya'll can spend $$$ hundreds on GPS with dozens of bells and whistles and experience a learning curve to new formats but...................if you want to mark a stand.....take a heading.....and get back to your truck while looking at a satellite/topo map that is FREE plus the face of phone is touch interactive to draw on......for $19.95...............

Kadbow...I back up my phone with these portable chargers as big as pack of cigerettes that will recharge phone half dozen times.

--------------------
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Posts: 2168 | From: Oxford Ms 38655 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P.J. Petiniot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for P.J. Petiniot   Email P.J. Petiniot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kadbow,

I have multiple spare battery charging packs that I use for phones, cameras, iPads, MacBooks etc. plus, I am preparing to invest in a couple solar chargers to keep those charging packs fully charged while in the back country.

My iPhone 7+ has as big or bigger screen than any hand held GPS I’ve had my hands on, so screen size isn’t a detour at for me with my phone.

Joey has me intrigued by the mention of this app.

I have a question about the app. I went to the App Store last night and it had more than one option. It also had the option of the Gaia app and a mapping app sold together.

I’m going to buy the app and give it a try but I want to get the correct one. If anybody knows the exact app for iPhones, let me know and I will buy it today and use it this weekend.

--------------------
If your bow has a trigger, it’s not a bow. If your bow has a trigger and a stock, it’s an abomination.

Posts: 423 | From: Crossroads of America | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P.J. Petiniot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for P.J. Petiniot   Email P.J. Petiniot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey,

You answered my questions. 👍

Now I need to figure out which app is the exact app I need and I will buy it today.

Another comment I’ll make in the battery life on your phone is this, Joey mentioned that he runs his phone on airplane mode when using the app, they will save a lot of battery life as your cell portion of the phone isn’t constantly searching for a signal. It should also ensure that all your other apps aren’t running in the background using precious battery life as well.

--------------------
If your bow has a trigger, it’s not a bow. If your bow has a trigger and a stock, it’s an abomination.

Posts: 423 | From: Crossroads of America | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joebuck
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebuck   Email joebuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PJ.... i bought the Gaia GPS Classic..I see they have the Gaia Topo Bundle which i think is updated

--------------------
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Posts: 2168 | From: Oxford Ms 38655 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P.J. Petiniot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1067

Thanks Joey,

I’ll buy the app tonight.

P.J.

--------------------

LC
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC   Email LC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two handheld GPS that are basically dust collectors now. I use Onx with my cell phone. You can down load maps and not need cell service to use. Can tell where you are at within property boundaries and who owns what property surrounding you. Great for out of state hunts or in state hunts. Like Joe I carry a back up battery pack that can recharge my cell phone four times. But if out of cell range I just turn off my cell service and adjust brightness etc and cell battery will last days. Hand held GPS are out of date now adays IMHO.

Dog tracking I have no clue. BUT I will say the Onx has the very best customer service of anything I've bought and used for years. It's like customer service USE to be 20 years ago! Great people!

--------------------
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Posts: 1223 | From: Morgantown, WV | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2015
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard good things about Gaia, but I'll throw another name in the hat. I started using Backcountry Navigator this year and love it. I don't know if Gaia has some features that BCN doesn't, but I've been more than happy - it has done everything that I need. Download topos and aerials for offline use, mark way points, etc, etc. And it was only a $11.95 one time fee - no annual renewal.

It works in airplane mode without cell service, and battery life is excellent. One thing that helps is to turn the GPS function on and off on your phone and use it only when needed rather than keeping it on all the time.

Last fall I went 8 days with a single battery pack to recharge my phone. I had along a solar charger but never used it.

I also had my old Garmin gps with me and never turned it on. A cell phone map package has made them obsolete, at least for my purposes.

--------------------
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 10438 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fisherick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fisherick   Email fisherick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to look more closely at these apps.
Posts: 221 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beendare
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beendare   Email beendare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with GAIA.

I use it on my Iphone 7 plus- the big one. The Maps are better than on any GPS I've seen partially due to the bigger screen.

I used it on hunts this year in Alaska for 2 weeks, central Ca, Montana- worked perfectly.

You have to download the maps for the area you will be in prior to the hunt and save them to your phone. Fastest while on wifi but cell tower works too. You select how big of an area...and the resolution you want....but be advised....bigger maps with more resolution can be really big files. Easy to download maps. while in that screen an area is already highlighted on the map. you adjust it to the area you want...and in the top line check resolution [usually I use 1/24,000]Before downloading check file size- thats it.

Its an advantage to have the smart phone with a lot of memory. My typical map is about 4 mgbs but in Ak i did a large area JIC that was 12 mgbps.

The trick to using this without a cell tower is place the phone in Airplane mode....if not your phone eats the battery searching for a tower every 10 seconds. My phone lasted 5-6 days plus using it for GPS and taking a bunch of pics. I typically plugged it into one of those little Anker battery pack chargers to refresh it a little every couple days. I could probably go 8-10 days or more if i just used it sparingly for GPS only.

The GPS is as good as my Garmin with the best chip. The cursor is a '>' that gives you direction and GAIA has a built in compass...though I would always bring a back up.

If there is a negative; its that my phone is not quite as robust as my GPS. My phone is water and shock resistant ...my GPS is more so.

--------------------
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Posts: 291 | From: Alamo,Ca | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Texoma
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 46764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Texoma   Email Texoma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Back country navigator app,there is a limited free version and a pay version.I ended up buying the app works great.The only drawback is the battery life on my phone.
Posts: 7 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©